100% horse meat in some Findus beef lasagne!

I had a lips, ears and b****x pie for my tea tonight.

Which animals?

Who cares at £2.50 for 2?

It was very nice.

It could have been labelled as e-number, msg, additive pie.

But £2.50 for 2. Every one's a winner.

I'm just amazed they actually found any meat content in them to be honest :shrug:

I just don't want to be going in to purchase black pudding and leaving with black beauty. :naughty:

So what????
You guys don't want to know what you're eating?
Yup, I would like any labels to be correct but I would have no problem with eating horseburger as long as it was labelled as such (as pointed out by Suz V)
If they want to use horse then that's fine but it must be labelled as such.

I have noticed some packaging just says 'meat' with no further information. That shouldn't be permissible. If its called meat something it needs to say what. Ditto unspecified fish.

If you have a beef product then I'd expect it to be 100% from that animal not from various species.
I wouldn't have a problem with eating "Meat" as long as it was fit for human consumtion.

Just an update, the FSA have issued a warning not to eat any Findus products due to possible contamination from horse drugs that can have very rare complications in humans.

"Possible" and "very rare". IIRC, the chap on Breakfast this morning said that so far no traces have been found. I wonder how many samples of any meat (including organic...) would show traces of antibiotics and other drugs?

Prime Minister reported as saying the Findus horsemeat case "is very distasteful", so I guess he's tried it too.

As Nod says, I have no trouble eating almost any meat (primates being the only thing I'd point-blank refuse) so it's not so much that people have eaten horse, but they've eaten horse believing it to be beef. I want to know which meat I'm eating, that it's been treated humanely, and that it's fit for human consumption.

Contamination or worse, deception, like this completely breaks down that system.

It's not the first time. There have been cases of chicken and such like entering the food chain that was basically barely fit for pet food. The meat industry is full of people profiteering from adulterating food.

The food regulations need to be tightened up massively. Supermarkets have a lot to answer for as they focus on cheap over quality and they encourage consumers to do the same.

It's not the first time. There have been cases of chicken and such like entering the food chain that was basically barely fit for pet food. The meat industry is full of people profiteering from adulterating food.

The food regulations need to be tightened up massively. Supermarkets have a lot to answer for as they focus on cheap over quality and they encourage consumers to do the same.

What does barely fit mean? Either it is or it isn't? There needs to be a difference otherwise your point means nothing.

I feel our food standards are way to high and that is what causes mass hysteria for the likes of you to spout scaremongering guff about food. (plus countless other threads you where you rip every organisation to pieces)

At this rate, they'll be horses steak on the menu in all the eateries and shops ;o)

I note how my recall note of 2days ago merely said the suppliers could not guarantee horse free meat, did not say they had found any.

blimey, i had no idea findus were still around. I used to love their cripsy pancakes when i was at uni!

I've got one of those findus lasagnes in the freezer. Bought it for the wife when she was due home very late. Fortunately she didn't eat it because, well...it's a findus lasagne.

The really worrying thing is not that it's horsemeat. It the fact that anything untoward can creep into the manufacturing process and not be automatically detected. That speaks volumes about the manufacturers control processes.

Mind you, I have to laugh at those that say "I only buy the best mince and make my own burgers etc". I once did some work experience in Sainsburys and saw what went into their beef mince. It included lamb, pork, chicken, anything that was getting close to its expiry date, cardboard and even a rubber glove!

Mmm....meaty glove burgers....

surely "the best mince" isn't mince from sainsburys or any supermarket for that matter.

In the past I have delivered frozen Sausages and Burgers to the people that do the catering stands at Fairs and shows etc. Dumped in the back of a trailer on the Friday ready for cooking at a Sunday event, not even kept chilled. If given the choice between a burger from a stand or a lasagne from Findus, I know which one I would opt for.

how about a frozen findus lasagne dumped on friday and cooked on sunday - would you go for that rich?

That's more than enough from you on dumping, Joe!

I've just fed my little cat some food from a pouch of beef chunks. Aldo own brand. Can she sue me if it turns out to be hoarse?

So why didn't they call them horseburgers then we can decide ourselves, why all the secrecy, is it because horse meat is cheaper than beef, most likely so.

Not bought a burger since Wimpy bar's closed down. :LOL:

hmmm, this whole horse meat issue is getting deeper everyday.
So, if horse steak ever becomes a freely available thing, I'm guessing that someone needs to come up with beefradish? :thinking:

I've just fed my little cat some food from a pouch of beef chunks. Aldo own brand. Can she sue me if it turns out to be hoarse?

The cat has a sore throat?

hmmm, this whole horse meat issue is getting deeper everyday.
So, if horse steak ever becomes a freely available thing, I'm guessing that someone needs to come up with beefradish? :thinking:

I took some beef tomatoes back today...turned out they had NO beef in them!

If you are too lazy to make your own food, then purchase a frozen ready "meal" from your local supermarket for 99 pence, what do you expect, the finest ingredients,prime beef fillet steak or the crappest rubbish available for your paltry sum of monies spent?

You get what you pay for i`m afraid and no amount of internet posturing will change that.

Tom, no she doesn't, although she does sometimes have furballs!

The really worrying thing is not that it's horsemeat. It the fact that anything untoward can creep into the manufacturing process and not be automatically detected. That speaks volumes about the manufacturers control processes.

QUOTE]

How do you suggest that they do this?? all minced meat looks pretty much the same when it comes frozen in 20kg blocks, and DNA testing is not an instant process and pretty expensive, i am pretty confident this being branded that the supermarkets will have demanded a 40% margin before the'd stock it, so if it retails for a quid, for findus to make any money its probably having to cost around 20 - 30p for them to make, and then people wonder why this has happened, they will have had no choice but to find the cheapest supplier.

Our food industry is one of the most regulated and audited in the world, but pressure from the supermarkets to reduce cost is whats driving the quality of food,

I'm just glad i'm not still in Meat, because this won't have been done knowingly by any of the factories concerned.

me too, I disliked the taste when you were. Lizzy free meat just tastes nicer

oh i eat meat Joe, and i WORKED in the industry for 10 years:LOL::LOL: its the one section of the food industry i wouldn't go back to

There is no reason to assume there's solely beef in the quality mince products either. If margins can be increased I'd assume horse meat had crept into premium lines to make a larger profit with those too.

Short of literally following a carcasse from killing to cutting, there's no way we can know for certain that what's on our plate is what we believe it to be. I use a Spong mincer to reduce steaks to mince, although I do on occasion buy pre-minced lamb from Sainsbury's.

In markets on Crete, whole rabbits are sold skinned but with the skin left on the feet to show that it really is rabbit and not a means of reducing the feral feline population... Some other beasts are left headed and butchered to order, leaving the head for soups. Not easy viewing even for a carnivore, although my (veggie) wife finds the sights fascinating!

Back