100 Strangers **Complete** 15th July 2016.

Kalman and Sanaa are just plain irresistible!

I thought so too Daniel, Kalman for his laid back outlook on life, and Sanaa was just so bubbly and full of smiles.

Just checking into this thread for the first time in a while. Of course, I wasn't disappointed. Excellent as ever.

Thanks Gareth, it's coming to an end the project and I am wondering what next.

I am wondering what next.

Lovers
ennemies
neighbours
shoes
hats
people with headphones
monks
sailors
lawyers…

…just don't stop!

Lovers
ennemies
neighbours
shoes
hats
people with headphones
monks
sailors
lawyers…

…just don't stop!

:D
Thanks!
I don't think I will stop as I think people photography is where it is at for me. I just need to come up with a direction for a project.
In saying that, I do have a few ideas, just needs a bit more thought to get them off the ground.

195:200 Strangers - Kerry
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Whilst shooting an entirely different subject, and concentrating on a photography competition in Chelmsford today, I couldn't help but notice Kerry and her obvious sense of style.

I thought Kerry had a friendly face and an openness about her when I approached to ask her if she would be a part of my project. I wasn't disappointed, Kerry agreed but wondered why I happened to ask her. I explained the project and she 'got' it.

What makes you happy?

"Family!" was the instant reply.

"What advice would you give to your younger self?"

"Be true to yourself."

When I gave Kerry my card with contact details on so as she could come and have a look at her portrait either on flickr or Facebook, Kerry remarked at the photos of previous strangers on the reverse side of the card, saying they were wonderful faces.

Kerry is something of a people watcher herself and said.

"Faces are fascinating!"

Thanks again Kerry!

Kerry may be slightly over 28 but her eyes
reveal an 18 yo spirit… those eyes!

Just a quick catch up Iain, I'm glad to see you are still finding very interesting characters to photograph, in your inimitable style (y)

I have not visited your thread for a while but the last few shots you have posted are excellent. You really know how to choose eye-catching subjects. You are almost there with your project so I look forward to your next.

Thanks Jenny, I'm not sure if I could be accused of taking an easy route to the 100 strangers by choosing arguably 'good looking' people.
It's something I've often thought of through the project, that, should I be asking 'ordinary' people. Perhaps that's why it has taken longer with this 100. I have any times stopped myself from asking certain individuals because I perceived it to be an easy route. Specifically good looking 20 somethings, I could complete 100 in a relatively short space of time shooting them. Excuse my ramblings, it doesn't take much to get me talking. :D

Just a quick catch up Iain, I'm glad to see you are still finding very interesting characters to photograph, in your inimitable style (y)

Thanks Chris, please see my comments above re interesting characters haha (y)

A late start at work today allowed me the opportunity to get out to shoot my project beforehand. It was a productive day, well photographically it was ;)

Results are shown below.

196:200 Strangers - Sophie
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Today was another day where I found a background first and waited a while for someone to come along who I thought had a look and style to match.

Sophie is a London based script writer and I caught her on her way to a casting at JW3, a London Jewish Cultural Centre for a play she had written. Sophie explained that her play will be showing in London February next year.

"I'm not Jewish but the play is around the Jewish and Muslim faiths coming together, it's a collaboration."

Sophie is a co-founder of Angry Bairds Theatre Productions. More information can be found at: www.angrybairds.com

What makes you happy?

"My baby and sunny weather make me happy but not the state of the UK's politics at the moment!"

Thank you Sophie and good luck with your latest production!

197:200 Strangers - Laura
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I noticed Laura, or to be more precise her bright yellow jacket when she was having a break from her workplace nearby.

Laura is originally from Hull, Yorkshire, a fact which was given away by her lovely broad Yorkshire accent but has been living/working in London for around 5 years.

"I've got a bit of a blow-dry situation going on here!" said Laura when I had asked her to be part of my project. The weather was turning grim as we spoke and I feared she wouldn't wish to venture too far from the relative shelter of a nearby doorway but Laura was happy to walk a short distance to this nearby painted wall which I thought complemented the colour of her jacket.

Laura told me;

"I have just started in a new job, this is my first day today as a receptionist at a hairdressers. Its going well, its a lovely place, its a bit vintage and quirky, just like me!" she said with a smile.

What makes you happy?

"Me Mum's Yorkshire puddings and gravy!"

Thanks Laura!

Again not disappointed by your recent additions Iain, I love the background you chose for Sophie and she has such an openness about her, such a gorgeous shot! There's something about that shot of Laura though, cant put my finger on it but it's just stunning!!

Again not disappointed by your recent additions Iain, I love the background you chose for Sophie and she has such an openness about her, such a gorgeous shot! There's something about that shot of Laura though, cant put my finger on it but it's just stunning!!

Thanks Clare :)
I am pleased how both of these portraits came together, especially Sophie and Laura for being such lovely strangers but a little of the backgrounds too!

I have promised myself I would have a go at this for 2 years now but never had the guts to just walk upto someone and ask them. After my cancer scare I reckon nows the time to start.
Thanks for the inspiration.

I have promised myself I would have a go at this for 2 years now but never had the guts to just walk upto someone and ask them. After my cancer scare I reckon nows the time to start.
Thanks for the inspiration.

@Mrbaker thank you.
I would encourage you to give it a go, its a wonderful project, I've met so many lovely people along the way.

Following a late night/early morning finish at work yesterday I decided to take a trip down to Brighton in order that I might complete this, my second round of 100 strangers.

A lovely day weather wise and I wasn't disappointed photography wise either. Brighton has such a rich mix of people and I was spoiled for choice on shooting locations too.

Results from yesterday are posted below.

198:200 Strangers - Sam
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I had ventured down to Brighton to hopefully complete my project. Specifically Brighton to use an alleyway which was used in the film Quadrophenia.

I waited a little while when I noticed Sam who was browsing on his phone and didn't seem in too much of a rush.

Sam is in his second year at University of Brighton.

"I'm a maker, I love to create things with my hands. I am a photographer too, I take photographs of the urban environment on 35mm slides and incorporate them into lampshades that I make. When they are lit, they project the scenes around the room. I work mainly in wood and metal."

In 10 years time?

"I would like to be independent, successful and hopefully doing one off commissions with my craft."

Thanks Sam and good luck.

199/200 Strangers - Lesley
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Once again, I had found a colourful background in which to make a stranger's portrait. It was a case of waiting until the perfect stranger walked along. I didn't have to wait too long before I noticed Lesley with such colourful hair and clothing. Lesley happily agreed to walk the short distance to the background but suggested it had to be quick as she was on her way to collect her child from school.

Lesley lives and works in Brighton. She told me, "I've been asked to be part of a similar project before when I was in Holland, the photographer then was shooting a project, people with colourful hair."

What would your advice be to your younger self?

"Its all OK."
"Learn not to worry and put all the teenage angst and 20 something worries to one side."

Thanks Lesley.

200/200 Strangers - Vicci
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I found a further background in which to shoot my final stranger of this 100 against and waited for again the perfect stranger to make their portrait.

I wasn't waiting long when Vicci walked along. She looked to be walking with some purpose, as if she had somewhere to go in a rush. Ordinarily, I don't like to interrupt someone if they are busy etc but I felt compelled to ask Vicci as I thought she'd make the perfect final stranger subject. At first she seemed a little hesitant, I was thinking she would decline but she said "Sure!"

I asked Vicci to walk across the road to my chosen background where she said, "This is a little weird walking along this narrow alley with a complete stranger haha!"

Vicci is from Hove which is a short distance from Brighton.

I asked Vicci what made her happy?

"I have just started Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) which is helping me with a relationship break up. I'm only 3 weeks into it but it takes around 10 weeks to kick in. I went of the rails a little after the break up."

"Oh, I also hand reared an abandoned baby seagull for 5 weeks recently and have just released it successfully. That was very satisfying."

Just at that moment, someone dressed in a chicken costume came walking past, "Random things like that make me happy too!"

Thanks Vicci and good luck.

As mentioned above I have now completed my second round of 100 strangers. It took a little longer than the first round. First portrait of this round was taken 3rd June 2015 last one yesterday, 15 July 2016.
Here are the 100 strangers in all their wonderfully diverse and colourful glory. I have really enjoyed meeting each and every one of these fantastic individuals.

100 Strangers R2 Colour Resize
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Excellent stuff Iain, a cracking trio to finish on (y)

Well done Iain. Beautiful stuff as always. I always enjoy looking at your shots and particularly like your thoughtful choice of backgrounds and the way that your technique produces such punchy colours without being garish.
What next ......[emoji15]

Thanks Alan (y)
I've thoroughly enjoyed the project and meeting so many genuinely lovely people.

What next? I am really not sure. I may continue with another round of 100 strangers but have it running in the background and not give it so much social media coverage.
Beyond that, I wish to continue with people photography, I've got a few ideas that I am mulling over.

Excellent stuff Iain, a cracking trio to finish on (y)

Thanks Chris (y)
It was my first time visiting Brighton for photography. I could probably have shot a whole 100 strangers there, so many interesting people and backgrounds.

Thanks again Iian, for another, very engaging thread. Hopefully see some more in the future.

Thanks again Iian, for another, very engaging thread. Hopefully see some more in the future.

Thanks John.
There may well be another round of strangers but it'll be lower profile on social media I think.

Thanks John.
There may well be another round of strangers but it'll be lower profile on social media I think.

Just to put that in context, I have a couple of threads running for the round just gone, I post on Flickr and Facebook too.
If I do another round it'll probably only be on Facebook so as any strangers have a place to see their portraits if it indeed interests them.

Thoroughly enjoyed all your people photography, Iain. You are indeed such an inspiration. Keep it going, in whatever direction you choose and do keep posting here. :)

Thoroughly enjoyed all your people photography, Iain. You are indeed such an inspiration. Keep it going, in whatever direction you choose and do keep posting here. :)

Thanks Ian :)
Such kind comments, much appreciated.

Top marks Iain really enjoyed this thread, look forward to more pretty soon i hope.
When you see people in a crowd its just that, i think we sometimes forget we are all individuals with lots of different stories to tell as you have shown in your thread.
Well done.:)

Top marks Iain really enjoyed this thread, look forward to more pretty soon i hope.
When you see people in a crowd its just that, i think we sometimes forget we are all individuals with lots of different stories to tell as you have shown in your thread.
Well done.:)

Thanks Walter, its the people aspect which is most important in this, not the photography. I've met so many lovely people through this project.
Not sure what comes next photographically for me. Ideas/suggestions on a postcard or written on the back of a £20 note to the usual address ;)

Really loved following this Iain hope you do a 3rd round ;)

Thanks Adam, if a 3rd round does happen, it'll probably be a little more low key social media wise (see post #389 for context)

Cheers (y)

I see them on your Flickr so hopefully you will keep them there at lease :) just great series and the interview style is what really makes it different :)

I see them on your Flickr so hopefully you will keep them there at lease :) just great series and the interview style is what really makes it different :)

Yes, I will probably host them on flickr, just not have a thread/project running on here.

Congratulations on completing your project, Iain. As usual the final images are stunning. I always find your choice of backgrounds intriguing. They complement your images without being too overpowering. Good luck in whatever you choose to do next.

Thanks Jenny, your kind comments are much appreciated.
I do endeavour to make the portrait all about the person so it's pleasing to know your thoughts are that my background choices aren't overpowering the person.

Thank you again :)

Back