100 Strangers **Complete** 15th July 2016.

I really dig the crazy and smily looks of Emmy
in contrast to the seemingly discrete sadness
in the eyes of Ayce (cool BG!)!

I really dig the crazy and smily looks of Emmy
in contrast to the seemingly discrete sadness
in the eyes of Ayce (cool BG!)!

Thanks Daniel, I too felt that when i looked at both portraits together, there is a stark contrast in their personas.

Two nice captures there Iain, I wonder if in pic one the look reflects the life, Pink floyd and the BG how compatable is that,
The warmth of pic two with BG sent my eyes in a loop.
Bravo again

Thanks Walter.
Generally, most strangers will ask whether I wish them to smile or not. With something of a language barrier, I asked Ayce to stand in front of this background to make her portrait. This was the look she chose to adopt. Without wishing to psycho-analyse any person, I couldn't help but think after I chatted a little more with her that her 'look' and in her words Turkey being chaotic were inextricably linked.
When I am back on my computer, I shall post up a wider shot of the background.

Emmie on the other hand was the happy, bubbly and smiley person you see in her portrait.

DSC_7854-2.jpg

The full background wall mural to Ayce's portrait.

188:200 Strangers - Tegan
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Tegan stood out from the crowd with her colourful hair and unique style as she walked along Brick Lane, London.

Originally from Harare, Zimbabwe, Tegan has lived in the UK for 7 years.

"Lots of things make me happy, family, friends, food, colour...."

"My future? I would love to be successful, I'm a hairstylist and I would love to win awards. I enter competitions for hairstyling and would wish to gain recognition for that."

Thank you Tegan and good luck!

That girl, somehow, must be an angel!
Don't I see an aura around her?

Only looked at this for the first time today. Some striking images in the set. I'd love to be able to do something like this but I think my confidence and ability to talk to strangers would both need quite a boost first.

Thanks Nige, I can't say that its easy but it does get easier the more you shoot stranger portraits. The initial few are quite daunting but beyond that not so much.

That girl, somehow, must be an angel!
Don't I see an aura around her?

That'll be the slight vignette I've added in post to accentuate Tegan's portrait.

More superb portraits, Iain. You really know how to choose some colourful characters.

Thanks Jenny, Tegan did stand out in the crowd today :)

189:200 Strangers - Corrie
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Having had a wander along the Southbank, London, it was one of those occasions where I found a background I wished to use for a stranger portrait.

I saw Corrie walking along and thought her style and look would be perfect.

Corrie who lives and works in London was having a day out in company with her cousin Emma.

A slightly different spin on things with regards to my finding out a little about Corrie, I asked Emma to describe her.

"Corrie is kind, funny and has a different way of looking at things in life.

Oh, and she likes cats, definitely put that in!"

Thank you Corrie and Emma.

Hi Iain,

I've just found this thread of the colour versions of your project, I've been following the B&W thread, but I much prefer the colour versions, preferring colour for humans and animals is a personal thing of mine.

Like many others I wouldn't have the self confidence to do what you do, and even if I did, I don't think I could maintain the level of quality that you have produced with the whole series. However there is one photograph which for me stands out above all the others and that is the one of Vytaute, the whole thing, her expression, the exposure, the background and your positioning of her relative to the tunnel comes together to produce an absolutely stunning portrait.

Hi Iain,

I've just found this thread of the colour versions of your project, I've been following the B&W thread, but I much prefer the colour versions, preferring colour for humans and animals is a personal thing of mine.

Like many others I wouldn't have the self confidence to do what you do, and even if I did, I don't think I could maintain the level of quality that you have produced with the whole series. However there is one photograph which for me stands out above all the others and that is the one of Vytaute, the whole thing, her expression, the exposure, the background and your positioning of her relative to the tunnel comes together to produce an absolutely stunning portrait.

Thanks Christopher, the colour versions and the 100 strangers is the primary project, I just run the B&W conversions thread alongside it.
I too prefer the colour versions but the B&W's run a very close second. I compile a collage of all the strangers and when I started done both colour and B&W and it has became habit.

I enjoyed making Vytaute's portrait the tunnel/footbridge makes for an interesting background in which to position the more interesting person.

Thanks again for your kind comments.

WOw, Tegan really packs a punch :)

Her lipstick, hair and bow really work well, as does that intense stare.

Cheers.

I agree Andy, Tegan has a fantastic look and style, quite striking.

I have recently been again second shooting at a couple of weddings in association with @Yv Yvonne
https://www.facebook.com/whitegoldimagesphotography/…

This has meant my strangers project has taken a back seat but I kickstarted it again today.
I took the opportunity to get out and about shooting my 100 strangers project today. I never strayed too far from my workplace in London, just a short hop into The Barbican where people were enjoying the glorious weather we had today.
Results posted below.

190:200 Strangers - Dana
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I noticed Dana walking around The Barbican, London enjoying the afternoon sun during her lunch break.

I thought her hair particularly striking and her obvious sense of style.

Dana is originally from Madrid, Spain but has been in the UK for 2 years and is about to start an Art History Masters. Dana is currently working in The Museum of London.

"My friends would probably describe me as a little too giving of myself and I agree but I have learned to change as I got hurt once too often."

"I wish to stay in the UK after my studies but thats going to mean a little hardship during that 9 month period, as I will have to give up full time employment for part time. I still have to eat and have somewhere to live but will mean I have to move from my current home. Rent in London is so expensive, that is my biggest struggle in life is paying my rent!"

"London is where I wish to be though. When I initially moved to the UK from Madrid, I spent a year living in Oxford but it felt small in comparison to my home city. I have since moved to London and although it's larger than Madrid, it suits me so much better!"

Thank you Dana and good luck with your studies!

An alternative portrait of Dana, I found it difficult to choose which was my favourite from the portraits I made today.
I do enjoy the close crops on these portraits.

Dana Smile
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I must say I prefer the second to the first of Dana, only because of her mouth (lips) in the first look a little weird to me.
I also love the fact that you get some little story out of victims (sorry, i mean models).

@Nostromo
Thanks Dominic, I like both versions but then I'm bound to be biased.

I feel you may be missing the point of the project. No-one is a victim here or even quite a model. Its a people project, interacting and engaging with the strangers is the whole ethos behind the project.
Their 'story' is just as, if not more important than the photography. Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

An alternative portrait of Dana, I found it difficult to choose which was my favourite from the portraits I made today.

I prefer the second Dana shot. Whilst looking at the first one, without knowing there was another photo, something didn't quite look right about her eyes - is she staring into the distance behind you, perhaps?

Then I saw the alternative shot... no contest. Great work!

I prefer the second Dana shot. Whilst looking at the first one, without knowing there was another photo, something didn't quite look right about her eyes - is she staring into the distance behind you, perhaps?

Thanks (y)

That's the thing about putting up more than one portrait of the same person, it presents choice or preference.

As I mentioned, I do like both for different reasons.

:agree:

191:200 Strangers - Natasha
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Every so often throughout this project someone comes along who just radiates happiness and just has a friendly persona. Natasha was just that person.

Natasha is visiting the UK from Taiwan and today I saw her having a wander around Cambridge. In the UK for another week, Natasha recognised my Scottish accent and told me she was visiting Edinburgh from tomorrow, having heard it is a beautiful city.

"Lots of things make me happy!"

"I think my friends would describe me as passionate and easy going!"

Thank you Natasha.

192:200 Strangers - Lorcan
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Again as Natasha #91 before him, I saw Lorcan walking around Cambridge and thought he had a happy and friendly aura around him. I wasn't wrong when I spoke to Lorcan and asked him to be part of my project.

"What makes me happy?"

"The thought of spending time with my friend this summer in Japan. I am actually just off the phone to her before you stopped me."

"I have just finished my studies and exams. I'm starting my masters soon in engineering but enjoying a break from study, chilling after a tough academic year.

My friends would probably describe me as laid back, in fact they did mention that when I was sitting my exams, how chilled I was."

"The future?"

"I would ultimately love to live/work in Japan within my chosen line of study but I would do work in other areas in the meantime."

Thank you Lorcan and good luck!

I feel as if I have got some momentum going with my project over this past few weeks, I may get it finished this side of Christmas at this rate.
Today saw me pay a visit to Little Venice, London but with not a lot doing portrait-wise, I walked for what seemed like miles into Camden Town. Results of which are posted below.

193:200 Strangers - Kalman
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

I had spotted this graffiti background just off Camden High Street London and decided to wait around to see if I could make a stranger portrait. There was a steady stream of people interested in taking their own photographs of the graffiti.

Kalman was one such person who stopped to take photographs. His interesting moustache styling and hat caught my eye.

Kalman is Hungarian but born in Transylvania, Romania and now living in Sweden! He was visiting the UK for a few days and was travelling home in a few hours but was having a last look around before his flight.

"Travelling makes me happy, I love to see the world!"

"Advice to younger self?"

"There is plenty of time to find a job after you've experienced the world of travelling."

"Dare to do more, there are no real barriers!"

Thank you Kalman, safe travels home!

Last edited:

194:200 Strangers - Sanaa
by Iain Blake, on Flickr

After having walked for what seemed like miles today, I was heading back to the rail station when I noticed Sanaa looking so stylish and for one so diminutive, she was walking with such purpose it took me a few yards to catch up!

Sanaa is from France but living in London and working as a restaurant manager in Camden Town.

"I would love to have my own restaurant one day but thats todays ambition, my ambitions change so regularly!"

Thank you Sanaa and good luck in whatever that may be!

All very good, as usual, but the one of Kalman stands out as his beard with the tapes seem to perfectly fit the OOF graffiti background.

I'm new to the forum and have just had a look through this thread. I've been absolutely enthralled, you're work is just beautiful. I love how you've captured so many diverse characters, their personalities and you've captured them so well! What a fantastic project, I look forward to the next installments!

All very good, as usual, but the one of Kalman stands out as his beard with the tapes seem to perfectly fit the OOF graffiti background.

Thanks Christopher,
I agree, Kalman made an ideal portrait for the background. He was a great character too. We parted company and then he came and found me for him to take a photograph of us together.

I'm new to the forum and have just had a look through this thread. I've been absolutely enthralled, you're work is just beautiful. I love how you've captured so many diverse characters, their personalities and you've captured them so well! What a fantastic project, I look forward to the next installments!

Thank you Claire,
Such kind comments, oh and welcome to the forum.

Kalman and Sanaa are just plain irresistible!

Just checking into this thread for the first time in a while. Of course, I wasn't disappointed. Excellent as ever.

Back