2013 Slimming Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well here goes, was told by the doctor on the 10th of January to loose weight, which he implied i would never do. Went back the to doctors today and have lost 1 stone exactly. How smug did i feel:D:D

I don't think eating an insanely low calorie diet and losing 3kgs of muscle is something to be smug about :p

What's your statistics? Height, weight, current diet...

Also, why were you told to lose weight?

Last edited:
I don't think eating an insanely low calorie diet and losing 3kgs of muscle is something to be smug about :p

What's your statistics? Height, weight, current diet...

Also, why were you told to lose weight?

5'10 start weight 19st 3lbs
Current weight 18st 3lb
Diet = 1700 calories aday with 2 hours exercise 5 days a week
High blood pressure at risk of Type II diabeties

Has anybody tried a low carb diet to trim and lose fat?

2 years ago I was weighing 13st, body fat was around the 12% mark. I was compound training in the gym and I felt great.

Then I gave up smoking, and the weight piled on, I find it hard sticking to healthy eating , working 3 shift pattern, some weeks I eat hardly anything(night shift) some I will eat loads(morning shift). I now weigh just under 15st, body fat 21.5%!!

I've read up on the low carb diet and decided to give it a bash. I feel terrible! Tonight alone on 3 occasions I have felt extremely weak and shakey.

Anybody else gone through this?

Matt

Has anybody tried a low carb diet to trim and lose fat?

2 years ago I was weighing 13st, body fat was around the 12% mark. I was compound training in the gym and I felt great.

Then I gave up smoking, and the weight piled on, I find it hard sticking to healthy eating , working 3 shift pattern, some weeks I eat hardly anything(night shift) some I will eat loads(morning shift). I now weigh just under 15st, body fat 21.5%!!

I've read up on the low carb diet and decided to give it a bash. I feel terrible! Tonight alone on 3 occasions I have felt extremely weak and shakey.

Anybody else gone through this?

Matt

Matt,

Low carb diets a the biggest myth ever created in the world of diet and nutrition. I have no idea where it's come from - science & cellular biology does not support the ideas! Let me explain...

Carbohydrates in their simplest form are glucose.

We constantly use fat (contrary to popular belief which is we use fat after glycogen). Glucose works in synergy with fat to create energy.

If you take away carbs from the diet, fat will not be able to be used and ultimately, we would die.

There is another place you can get glucose from - protein (either from the diet or muscle tissue breakdown).

We do not just need energy for movement - our heart, brain, kidneys, liver, intestine etc - they are all living cells that require energy to function and this energy comes from stored fat and either stored carbohydrate or protein.

It doesn't make sense not to eat carbs because we need protein for energy and certainly do not want muscles (not exclusive to skeletal muscle) to get smaller.

The trick is to have a little bit of carbs every 2.5-3hrs to ensure efficient energy production, fat burning & muscle retention.

You will hear of people that have tried it and got some good weight loss results...but they are stupid - they have literately sacrificed muscle tissue to fuel a bit of fat loss.

One could lose 5kg on a low carb diet but only 3% body fat...not very good.

I recently took up a bet with a colleague where I just ate carbs, did 0hrs exercise & no protein. He done 4hrs exercise, had only fats and protein and no carbs.

We lost the same amount of fat but my muscle increased by 1kg more than his over a week.

In addition, I felt great where as he felt tired, hungry, lethargic, had bad breath from ketosis & obviously would have put himself at risk of other health issues had it of continued.

He now recommends me to talk to any member for nutrition advice :)

Hope that helps.

Phil Young said:
Matt,

Low carb diets a the biggest myth ever created in the world of diet and nutrition. I have no idea where it's come from - science & cellular biology does not support the ideas! Let me explain...

Carbohydrates in their simplest form are glucose.

We constantly use fat (contrary to popular belief which is we use fat after glycogen). Glucose works in synergy with fat to create energy.

If you take away carbs from the diet, fat will not be able to be used and ultimately, we would die.

There is another place you can get glucose from - protein (either from the diet or muscle tissue breakdown).

We do not just need energy for movement - our heart, brain, kidneys, liver, intestine etc - they are all living cells that require energy to function and this energy comes from stored fat and either stored carbohydrate or protein.

It doesn't make sense not to eat carbs because we need protein for energy and certainly do not want muscles (not exclusive to skeletal muscle) to get smaller.

The trick is to have a little bit of carbs every 2.5-3hrs to ensure efficient energy production, fat burning & muscle retention.

You will hear of people that have tried it and got some good weight loss results...but they are stupid - they have literately sacrificed muscle tissue to fuel a bit of fat loss.

One could lose 5kg on a low carb diet but only 3% body fat...not very good.

I recently took up a bet with a colleague where I just ate carbs, did 0hrs exercise & no protein. He done 4hrs exercise, had only fats and protein and no carbs.

We lost the same amount of fat but my muscle increased by 1kg more than his over a week.

In addition, I felt great where as he felt tired, hungry, lethargic, had bad breath from ketosis & obviously would have put himself at risk of other health issues had it of continued.

He now recommends me to talk to any member for nutrition advice :)

Hope that helps.

Thanks Phil,

So in order for me to maintain muscle mass and lose weight I just need to eat small portions every few hours? What food would you recommend? Rice, chicken, broccoli?

I do have a protein shake a day, whey protein, I mix it with low fat milk, 2 raw eggs and a banana , although lately my potassium levels have gone through the roof.

Another thing is what training would you recommend?

Thanks for all the help :)

Thanks Phil,

So in order for me to maintain muscle mass and lose weight I just need to eat small portions every few hours? What food would you recommend? Rice, chicken, broccoli?

Small portions yes - and the most important is eating carbs. Rice, pasta, bread, doesn't matter really...the portion size will not be enough to raise insulin levels etc so your main goal is to stay "sustained" and not get hungry.

I do have a protein shake a day, whey protein, I mix it with low fat milk, 2 raw eggs and a banana

To be honest, the milk and the banana will suffice. You don't NEED the whey protein and anything that is not NEEDED is at risk of being stored.

Another thing is what training would you recommend?

Whatever you want - losing fat is NOT about exercise contrary to popular myth. Exercise, don't exercise, doesn't matter - the important thing is that you eat the right foods at the right times in the right amounts.

Exercise should be for fitness, flexibility, heart health but does almost nothing for weight loss.

To put it a bit more simply: you could train 16 hrs one month and get a result. To get the same result the next month without any exercise, you would only need to stick to your nutrition plan for an extra 2.5 days...

:)

You can download an example nutrition plan here but just remember - I desined this for a 55kg woman. You will need roughly 1.5x what is advised.

Happy to help.

Phil Young said:
Small portions yes - and the most important is eating carbs. Rice, pasta, bread, doesn't matter really...the portion size will not be enough to raise insulin levels etc so your main goal is to stay "sustained" and not get hungry.

To be honest, the milk and the banana will suffice. You don't NEED the whey protein and anything that is not NEEDED is at risk of being stored.

Whatever you want - losing fat is NOT about exercise contrary to popular myth. Exercise, don't exercise, doesn't matter - the important thing is that you eat the right foods at the right times in the right amounts.

Exercise should be for fitness, flexibility, heart health but does almost nothing for weight loss.

To put it a bit more simply: you could train 16 hrs one month and get a result. To get the same result the next month without any exercise, you would only need to stick to your nutrition plan for an extra 2.5 days...

:)

You can download an example nutrition plan here but just remember - I desined this for a 55kg woman. You will need roughly 1.5x what is advised.

Happy to help.

Thanks , ill have a look once I finish the shift tonight , :)

Little bit more info on the diet, especially surrounding your workout?

No bread, Biscuits or Chocolate or red meat, eating fruit veg turkey chicken and fish.. lots of stir frys!! just staying at 1700 calories

Exercise
AM - 20mins cross trainer, 20mins bike, 20mins rower
PM - 20mins treadmill, 20mins bike,

Its an hour 40 actually, I included to 20 mins i spend it the sauna or hot tube

I like to call it the EAT LESS MOVE MORE diet

But i must say before i was living on a diet of takeaways and fast food

Well done on the loss Ade and keep off the carp!

By simply eating less and better than I used to and moving a bit more, I've shed about 4 stone since last May after a diagnosis of Type II DM. I don't do any gym stuff - never had much time for workouts although I did do a fair bit in my teens, just walking more. I still eat red meat, bread, and even the occasional biscuit or piece of chocolate (notice the singular - it used to be several!) I avoid fried food as much as possible, only treating myself once a fortnight and avoid takeaways as much as I can before the craving gets too much and I have to have a curry!

To put everything into perspective, I was (at my heaviest) around the 21st mark and am now down to 16 1/2 (on the old scales, closer to 17 on the new ones. :(). My HbA1C score was so good last time it was checked that I'm now on just one tablet/day for the DM and awaiting the results from the vampire attack on monday - seeing the GP in a week or so.

According to the BMI chart, I should be down to around 13st but if I got down to that, I would be under treatment for Anorexia!

No bread, Biscuits or Chocolate or red meat, eating fruit veg turkey chicken and fish.. lots of stir frys!! just staying at 1700 calories

Exercise
AM - 20mins cross trainer, 20mins bike, 20mins rower
PM - 20mins treadmill, 20mins bike,

Its an hour 40 actually, I included to 20 mins i spend it the sauna or hot tube

I like to call it the EAT LESS MOVE MORE diet

But i must say before i was living on a diet of takeaways and fast food

Sounds like you've gone from one extreme to another, one being gaining way to much fat and the other losing too much weight (because some has been muscle).

You don't NEED to exercise so much, spend more time with your family and have a read of the above tips on carbs etc... it's all relative...

forgot to update on Wednesday, but it was another 3lb off, so 10lb since i started on the 2nd January, am really pleased, i would like to get to a stone before i go on hols in a fortnights time

Phil Young said:
Is this it now? January resolutions over???

Hahaha, I've gone from 95kg to 90.5kg since we last spoke, not even worked out, just ate correct and in moderation :)

Well done Liz, feel free to put up a food diary for analysis!

Slimming world, it works for me, basically its healthy eating cooking from scratch type stuff, that way you can control the fat etc, and means i lose a steady 1 - 2 lb per week, i did it before and lost 4 stone, and then stopped smoking so wacked a load back on

Last edited:
Slimming world, it works for me, basically its healthy eating cooking from scratch type stuff, that way you can control the fat etc, and means i lose a steady 1 - 2 lb per week, i did it before and lost 4 stone, and then stopped smoking so wacked a load back on

Just remember - the reason most people don't achieve goals is because they start with to many "have to's". If you have to achieve something, you don't NEED to and your subconscious thinking will see that you don't.

Eliminate all words like have to, need to, should do, because this person said I should, "I'm doing this because my doctor told me to" etc...

Write down your goals starting with "I choose to....because....", if you eliminate all negativity and add in as much emotion as possible and re-affirm this to yourself as much as you can, your chance of success will go from roughly 11% to 100%.

Good on ya, keep it up :)

Just remember - the reason most people don't achieve goals is because they start with to many "have to's". If you have to achieve something, you don't NEED to and your subconscious thinking will see that you don't.

Eliminate all words like have to, need to, should do, because this person said I should, "I'm doing this because my doctor told me to" etc...

Write down your goals starting with "I choose to....because....", if you eliminate all negativity and add in as much emotion as possible and re-affirm this to yourself as much as you can, your chance of success will go from roughly 11% to 100%.

Good on ya, keep it up :)

no have to's doing it because i want to, and won't beat myself up if there are ups and downs along the way, i know exactly why i slapped the weight back on, i chose to use stopping smoking as an excuse to revert to my bad eating habits simple really

well done guys! great thread. I have been away from here for a while and focused on loosing weight. I have recently lost just over 5 stone, going from 19 stone 1 to just under 14 stone currently.

Im also running my first half marathon on sunday to celebrate :) If i can do it, you guys can do it :)

well done guys! great thread. I have been away from here for a while and focused on loosing weight. I have recently lost just over 5 stone, going from 19 stone 1 to just under 14 stone currently.

Im also running my first half marathon on sunday to celebrate :) If i can do it, you guys can do it :)

Nice Tom! Good on ya!

What running trainers do you have???

running trainers? :LOL:

Oh dear lol.

Be careful of running in the wrong footwear - most don't offer enough inside stability and or cushioning and at your current weight that is potentially a very worrying thing as the impact shock upon landing can lead to some pretty serious conditions.

Most people that are running in the wrong footwear will develope something called a patella tracking injury, this is where the alignment of the knee cap doesn't run true and then referred pain can be felt in the knees, hips and other joints.

My advice is to get your feet looked at and buy the appropriate footwear :)

argh, you were being serious... I have had my gait looked at and have a couple of pairs of saucony triumph 10's. Love them. Ive been racking up the miles and have run hm distance a couple of times.

Im also off to a "running school" for video analysis etc tomorrow to see how i can improve my running style. Really loving running and as ive been doing alot of work photographing ultra marathons (45 miles +) ive set one of them as next years goal :)

argh, you were being serious... I have had my gait looked at and have a couple of pairs of saucony triumph 10's. Love them. Ive been racking up the miles and have run hm distance a couple of times.

Im also off to a "running school" for video analysis etc tomorrow to see how i can improve my running style. Really loving running and as ive been doing alot of work photographing ultra marathons (45 miles +) ive set one of them as next years goal :)

Nice shoe. You can always tell a runner's interest in it by knowing the trainers they wear ;)

Those ultra's are insane - had a client that has run 9 of them...jeeeze.

I do love them, lovely to run in. I have also adopted a love for 2xu... and running tights. I bought some cheaper ones and they lasted a week before loosing their shape, but the 2xu ones are lasting well.

Talking to alot of the ultra runners after their events has really inspired me to give one a go. I met a guy who was 28 stone, then got into running and had a gastric bypass, and does an ultra at least once a month, safe to say hes not a big bloke anymore and had lots of surgery to remove excess skin.... his only problem now is eating enough to fuel his runs.

I do love them, lovely to run in. I have also adopted a love for 2xu... and running tights. I bought some cheaper ones and they lasted a week before loosing their shape, but the 2xu ones are lasting well.

Talking to alot of the ultra runners after their events has really inspired me to give one a go. I met a guy who was 28 stone, then got into running and had a gastric bypass, and does an ultra at least once a month, safe to say hes not a big bloke anymore and had lots of surgery to remove excess skin.... his only problem now is eating enough to fuel his runs.

Just don't get it into your head that exercise is the way to lose weight - it's not. What we eat and how much of it dictates how we look, exercise (again, when the goal is weight loss) should be thought of just for prolonged health and fitness.

I don't know your training so am reluctant to comment too much but just be aware too much of the same exercise will eventually show it's signs. Just a word of warning: if you get any niggles in any joints - get yourself straight to a physio for a diagnosis since it probably will get worse if not treated :)

good to have an expert like Phil providing advice and encouragement.

just out of interest Phil what dietary advice would you give to a vegetarian (who does not also eat eggs or fish) looking to lose between 3 and 4 stone.

just out of interest Phil what dietary advice would you give to a vegetarian (who does not also eat eggs or fish) looking to lose between 3 and 4 stone.

Thanks,

The same advice I'd give to meat eaters - so long as your daily plan is reasonably low-fat, it doesn't matter what you eat so much as how much you eat of it.

Carbohydrates are your best friend for weight loss anyway so this is good news.

Stick to small portions of the usual - rice, pasta, beans, lentils, potatoes etc and providing you are having enough to satisfy you but not enough to make you full, eat regularly (every 3 hours or so) and again, ensure low fat is your #1 rule: you will succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back