5 x 4 film boxes

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Anybody got any ideas on how to send off 5 x 4 sheets to the lab, when you haven't got any empty boxes?

I'd thought about buying some cheap out of date film off ebay and get boxes that way, but though there seems to be plenty of old potentially useless film, they still want silly money for it!

Any ideas folks?

Thanks

In my Old Montréal studio, near downtown and the bigger press centre,
I often had to have the film plates processed in a hurry. The people at
the lab knew me well and didn't bother to repack the films. The courrier
picked up the production still in the cassettes and within, the hour, I got
everything back — the films in archiving viewing material and the empty
cassettes as well.

Just make sure that all parts are well identified to you!

I think you can ask the lab if they have any spare, as they probably have some. Failing that, I can spare one if you PM your address to me.

An interesting startup problem I've seen mentioned a few times here!

When I started, I intended to process my own but didn't have a developing tank for 5x4; when I unloaded the holders, I placed the exposed sheets inside a Paterson tank until I got the necessary equipment. I continued to use this method until I'd emptied my first box or got more film holders - I started with 3 which meant six sheets could be exposed before I had a problem.

I'd be interested to know what your lab charges; my local lab don't like processing sheet film and charge accordingly. The last time I asked (some years ago, when I had a backlog after a holiday) the price was £5 per sheet; but at least they didn't charge more for colour :). I cleared my own backlog...

Last edited:
Looks like Peak charge £3.20 per sheet for 5*4 for C41, E6 or black and white. £4.70 for 10*8 but they can't do black and white.

I use peak and they're excellent. In the first instance, I asked a mate (Gandhi) if he had any spare and he lent me one. Otherwise, as mentioned above, perhaps store the sheets in a dev tank if you have one, and then send them all off in the original box? With peak, I've always asked for them to return the box, and they do. In any case, I can send you one also if you need it :)

Thanks all, and appreciate the offers of help. I'll try Peak first but if not Ill take up on the offer of a box please, sounds the easiest way out, thanks.

Crazy to think when I worked in a lab we had loads of these kicking around, and threw loads away. Quite often the photographers would drop off the sheets in the D/D slides.
I do recall they did get mixed up sometimes as the tagging system only had two tags, one for the film sheet, that stayed with the film through the process, and the other was on the order form. Ideally a third one was needed to attach to the empty D/D slide....sorry I'm digressing ;-/

Back