50D Announced

You kinda cant say it wasn't coming. Nothing there which really want me to upgrade from my 40D.

This coming out pre-Photokina though, Canon must be saving something else for the main show (5D mk II)

the spec does read well :)

I can't wait to see how well the new sensor handles noise at high Iso :)

With a spec like this on a mid range body, the replacement for the 5D (if it is ever replaced) is going to have to be even more impressive :eek:

I estimate £850 body only, £1000 w/ some rubbish lens.

Looks nifty but as has already been said, doesn't make me want to upgrade.
I'm looking forward to the release of the new 5d, because I can (hopefully) get the old 5d on the cheap :D

looking at a 40D for an upgrade myself. this is probably worth waiting for a few months more.

apart from MP, maybe better ISO handling. isn't much difference.

How many MP is the 5D mk 2 going to have now?

:eek: I was about to commit to an upgrade to a 40D. Think I'll hang on now ;)

The 920,000 pixels screen should be a big improvement, and I'd like more detail on the environmental protection, is it same as 40D or really weather proof. There is a spec comparison between the 40D and 50D

Not fussed about a 5D II, and think were more likely to see a 1D III N at Photokina

Not a bad little camera by the looks but as already said not worth the upgrade from my 40D.
Canon do seem to be pushing up there range with the new 1000D comming is as a lower range than the 450D seem to be moving everything up a little.
role on the 5D thats going to tempt me alot

Bodes well for all those the use "Lagging-Edge Technology" as people will be dumping 40D's for the upgrade to the 50D - Always happens.

There will be bargains to be had for those looking for a second body.

I can go with that, I think they really need to prove their camera's before they release them:shrug:

A 1d mk111n would or could be a big winner, I've been holding off buying a 1d mk11 for ages now have the money but I want reassuring that everything is OK before I part with my hard earbed, still to many talking about issues with it

Not fussed about a 5D II, and think were more likely to see a 1D III N at Photokina

It looks interesting, but seems to be a lot of "new features" that are of bugger all use to me even as a current owner of the 30D...

The AF adjust is probably the most useful thing I can see there.

The one thing that is important to me is not listed, which is AF speed in terms of relative speed off a subject. Its unlikely they will ever match the xD series AF speed in the xxD range, but some improvement would be nice...

Oh and btw, "Digic 4" - that should be fun for anyone with a Sigma lens...

Well it looks like the main significant difference is the 15mp's. Whether or not this makes a material difference I guess will have to be seen.

The higher resolution rear screen is useful but doesn't make it produce better images, it just helps you delete the blurry ones sooner lol.

It doesn't really tempt me to upgrade my 2 month old:( 40D. But I'm waiting for the 5D II.

It's not a bad spec, but the RRP is significantly higher than the 40D was..

I think I'll wait until the 1D Mk III successor is released, especially now that the LCD screen is 920,000 pixels. Hopefully they'll have the HDMI port included as well

I won't be going for it, full frame will be my next upgrade :).

£1199!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

That is alot of cash to be honest - perhaps too much for what it is.

Full frame next for me - no rush though :)

Excellent,

I will be looking at all the cheap 40D's and 5D's that will be coming on the market for my next upgrade I'm happy to have last years toy, if it saves me a few quid towards decent glass.

£1199!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

That is alot of cash to be honest - perhaps too much for what it is.

Well, it is their competition to the D300, so you would expect a similar price point.

If your product that is 9 months newer than their competition is priced less, people will imagine it to be less.

Of course in 6 months it will be probably 900 quid and 6 months after that 700 quid with 100 quid cashback...

That I can kind of understand but my 40D was only £700 and I imported it into the U.K as soon as they came out in Hong Kong.

£1200 just strikes me as a tad overkill for bang for buck.

Sure it has nice features but I dont think it is worth £1200.

But what do I know :)

The price of £1150 is Canons RRP price, so would think it will go in the shops for around £950.

Just had an e-mail from Warehouse Express asking me if I want to pre order. 1200 quid for the body only with a Sandisk 8 gig card! Add a battery grip and it wont be cheap, but it's so much more appealing to me than any 1 Series body currently on offer. Hmmmmm...

CLICKY

if it is 950 in the shops i wouldnt mind one at all!

The only thing that interests me is the screen, I hate the screen on my 40D with a passion, my 10D's screen is so much nicer. I won't be upgrading though!

Obviously the ISO stuff is handy, but again, it's not something I'd upgrade for.

Anyone else noticed the Direct Print button has got a new icon above it? Anyone know what it's for? Looks like it could be a new live view button or something.

Like people have been saying though, this does make the 5D's replacement look like it will be a very nice model indeed.

The Nikon D300 was £1199 when it was released, everywhere does them for £979.99 now, so wait 3 months and it will be sub £1k... It has to be really, as the cameras will be in direct competition.

Was reading through the spec and realised its not full sensor so what gives it the £1150 price tag? nothing about the spec is particularly new or a must have?

It's a 15 million pixel sensor - an increase of 5 million over the current 10 million of the 40D! It depends what sort of photography you're into of course, but the implications for wildlife togs is very significant indeed.

It's a 15 million pixel sensor - an increase of 5 million over the current 10 million of the 40D! It depends what sort of photography you're into of course, but the implications for wildlife togs is very significant indeed.

Yup, I could be quite tempted by one of these. Claims of 1 to 1.5 stop improvement in noise over 40D at high ISO and the 15MP could make it a great wildlife cam (when coupled with really top flight glass)...

I was thinking about this earlier - 1Ds Mk II with 500/4 can be used up to ISO400 before image starts to get on the grim side.

I know a 40D is at least a stop better from personal experience.

I have seen claims that the 50D is a stop better than the 40D.

With the crop, I could use my 300/2.8 and get a very similar field of view to the 500 on a 1DsII.

So, that's 3 stops improvement and about the same number of pixels. Sounds pretty neat to me!

I have seen claims that the 50D is a stop better than the 40D.

With the crop, I could use my 300/2.8 and get a very similar field of view to the 500 on a 1DsII.

Indeed Paul. It's a sobering thought that a 400mm lens on the 50D will probably get you as big a 1:1 full file image as a 600mm lens on a larger sensor. I use 800 ISO on the 40D without a second thought, in fact, most of the time with the 500mm, so any improvement on that would be very welcome for me too.

I am happy with my 40D......I wonder why they didn't make it a Full Frame one!

I am happy with my 40D......I wonder why they didn't make it a Full Frame one!

Because then it would be £2k, would obsolete the 5D, and they would have no competing body for Nikons D300

As it stands Both Companies have bodies correctly placed.

D3 vs 1D
D700 vs 5D
D300 vs 50D
D80 vs 400D
D60 vs 1000d

The xxD range isn't a full frame range, so why would they make a full frame 50D?

Full frame is great and all, but it's not necessarily better than cropped frame. If it were, then why would Canon even bother making the 1D? They would just make the 1Ds range for professionals...

Cropped frame is good for sports and wildlife, so Canon will continue to keep the xxD a cropped range, the 5D full frame and both for the 1D series.

As for the 50D, looks pretty good. May concider it for a 2nd body soon as I need a 2nd and was thinking of a 1D or 5D. Could even get another 40D since they will be going for cheap :D

Because then it would be £2k, would obsolete the 5D, and they would have no competing body for Nikons D300

As it stands Both Companies have bodies correctly placed.

D3 vs 1D
D700 vs 5D
D300 vs 50D
D80 vs 400D
D60 vs 1000d

I think in reality the range is more staggered than that.

Back