50D v 40D. Prices

Name
Ian Hathaway
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking to upgrade from my 400D and I'm very tempted by the 50D. I was going to get a 40D,(as the prices are getting more attractive) but I think I'd regret not putting the extra and going with the 50D.
I am a long term buyer and if and when I wanted to upgrade, (two years at least) I would add another body as opposed to replace as I see the xxD as good enough to hang onto if I do upgrade.

I've emailed a few suppliers (UK, HK and USA) on the price of the 50D and also read the 50D thread on here, I'm still waiting for a confirmed price from them all.
Do you think the price of the 50D will come down much over Christmas or should I bite the bullet now and go for it?
Or go the 40D route as they are value for money at the minute?
Thanks
Ian

If you can afford the extra Ian then I'd definitely go for the 50D. At the rate cameras are developing these days you want to be as future proof as possible imo. You can currently buy a 50D from Digital Rev for £847 btw :) It would be an import from Hong Kong but that price includes all import duty and carriage etc. They guarantee it is the "delivered to your door" price. Not bad when you see that Jessops are selling for £1200 :eek: I have one on the way :D

I have a 30D and a 40D and use both. I have been looking at the 50D as an upgrade/replacement for my 30D but I think right now that compared to the value offered by the 40D the pricing on the 50D is way off the mark at the moment.

I do look at Hong Kong eBay traders like Digital Rev and have bought five of my lenses, and some other gear, (but no bodies) from Hong Kong. You can pick up a brand new official UK 40D for about £530 after Canon's £60 cash back is applied. You can get it for even less if you buy from Digital Rev's UK online store.

Personally I don't think the 50D offers enough benefit over the 40D to justify a markup of over £300, or over 50% if you prefer to look at it in those terms. The 40D is only a year old. It is hardly old technology. In another year or maybe 18 months the 50D will likely be replaced as well. The 40D is plenty good enough to last as long as the 50D. Save £300 now and put the money towards a lens or a 580EX, then get a 70D in a couple of years. In my view that would be a much better way to spend an £850 budget.

If the 50D really really really has a feature you simply have to have then fair enough, but the 40D is one sweet camera. I actually prefer 10MP and see 15MP as a step too far on a 1.6X crop camera. 15 MP will mean you'll need more card space (cheap enough, for sure) but also more computer space, more processor power, and longer card download times and so on.

Last year Canon introduced a £50 cash back on the 40D from 1st October, which they allowed to be backdated to all 40D purchases. My 40D cost me £680, body only, after cash backs, in September a year ago. I do not see any reason to pay over £699 (net) for a 50D now. I would at least wait a couple of weeks to see how 50D pricing settles down, longer if you can.

If you can afford the extra Ian then I'd definitely go for the 50D. At the rate cameras are developing these days you want to be as future proof as possible imo. You can currently buy a 50D from Digital Rev for £847 btw :) It would be an import from Hong Kong but that price includes all import duty and carriage etc. They guarantee it is the "delivered to your door" price. Not bad when you see that Jessops are selling for £1200 :eek: I have one on the way :D

Thanks Grendal,
I was thinking along the technology lines to be honest, newest and best you can afford.
Thats a very good price compared to standard UK prices. (isn't everything)
I don't mind waiting until the "after launch madness" has calmed down as I can't really afford/ justify the price at the minute, but I think the 50D is worth hanging on for as a long term body.
Digital rev's price is very tempting and realistic though. I'm thinking Christmas may/hope will bring a few more.
Cheers
Ian.

I'm sure you're right, the prices are very likely to drop around Xmas time :)

I have a 30D and a 40D and use both. I have been looking at the 50D as an upgrade/replacement for my 30D but I think right now that compared to the value offered by the 40D the pricing on the 50D is way off the mark at the moment.

I do look at Hong Kong eBay traders like Digital Rev and have bought five of my lenses, and some other gear, (but no bodies) from Hong Kong. You can pick up a brand new official UK 40D for about £530 after Canon's £60 cash back is applied. You can get it for even less if you buy from Digital Rev's UK online store.

Personally I don't think the 50D offers enough benefit over the 40D to justify a markup of over £300, or over 50% if you prefer to look at it in those terms. The 40D is only a year old. It is hardly old technology. In another year or maybe 18 months the 50D will likely be replaced as well. The 40D is plenty good enough to last as long as the 50D. Save £300 now and put the money towards a lens or a 580EX, then get a 70D in a couple of years. In my view that would be a much better way to spend an £850 budget.

If the 50D really really really has a feature you simply have to have then fair enough, but the 40D is one sweet camera. I actually prefer 10MP and see 15MP as a step too far on a 1.6X crop camera. 15 MP will mean you'll need more card space (cheap enough, for sure) but also more computer space, more processor power, and longer card download times and so on.

Last year Canon introduced a £50 cash back on the 40D from 1st October, which they allowed to be backdated to all 40D purchases. My 40D cost me £680, body only, after cash backs, in September a year ago. I do not see any reason to pay over £699 (net) for a 50D now. I would at least wait a couple of weeks to see how 50D pricing settles down, longer if you can.

This is the reply I was dreading!! A bloody good argument for getting the 40D and a lens for the same money.:thinking::thinking:

Thing with buying from Digital Rev is you don't get the warranty like you do with lenses as it's an import, i'd rather have the piece of mind and spend £50 extra and getting it from a proper UK supplier, like RGB-tech.

Also, it may be worth hanging on a couple of months till the price has settled and the initial rush has finished, we may even be lucky to see it drop a hundred quid or so, that's what i've decided to do anyway, that or save for the 5D mk2.

The 40D was always a bargain - even from the off - the best spec'd camera Canon has ever offered for the money. It's even more of a bargain at current prices.

The 50D is also an incredible camera for the money with 15million pixels ( 1DSMK2 territory, and would have cost over 4 grand not that long ago!). It also has many pro features from the new 1 Series, like lens calibration for over 25 lenses, and of course the new Digic 1V processor, and further reduced noise at high ISOs.

I honestly don't think youll go wrong with either, but I agree with Grendel, if you're thinking in the long term, it makes sense to get the 50D and keep ahead of the game ...at least at the start.

I've had my 40D a few months and have deliberately avoided looking at the 50D specs to avoid camera lust descending on me yet again. I think the 40D is a damn good camera and as tdodd says a 15mp sensor on a crop body is just asking for trouble. If I was in your position I would grab the 40D and use the extra you would have spent on the 50D to get some quality glass. You won't go far wrong with that.

Thing with buying from Digital Rev is you don't get the warranty like you do with lenses as it's an import, i'd rather have the piece of mind and spend £50 extra and getting it from a proper UK supplier, like RGB-tech.

Also, it may be worth hanging on a couple of months till the price has settled and the initial rush has finished, we may even be lucky to see it drop a hundred quid or so, that's what i've decided to do anyway, that or save for the 5D mk2.

The warranty is not a big deal for me (maybe wrong on my part) I've bought personal use (new). cars from Japan without warranties (never had a problem) and I think that has a bearing on my view on warranties. Electronics are different to engines though.
I agree on waiting for the price to settle. I don't think I would go for the 5D MKII as its not as "all singing and dancing" as was expected, plus I'm "not that good " to justify a xD of any sort at the moment.

Ian

Ian, you might think differently if the 50D has any sort of issues like the AF debacle with the 1D3. I doubt very much that it will, but it's an example. Just some food for thought. If you can afford to wait then see what the reviews say, and how things turn out when the masses have had a chance to fully beta test it.

I've had my 40D a few months and have deliberately avoided looking at the 50D specs to avoid camera lust descending on me yet again. I think the 40D is a damn good camera and as tdodd says a 15mp sensor on a crop body is just asking for trouble. If I was in your position I would grab the 40D and use the extra you would have spent on the 50D to get some quality glass. You won't go far wrong with that.

my thoughts exactly (y)

NIKON NIKON and arrrrrg nikon (sorry no help at all but thought I would just say it) :)

The 40D was always a bargain - even from the off - the best spec'd camera Canon has ever offered for the money. It's even more of a bargain at current prices.

The 50D is also an incredible camera for the money with 15million pixels ( 1DSMK2 territory, and would have cost over 4 grand not that long ago!). It also has many pro features from the new 1 Series, like lens calibration for over 25 lenses, and of course the new Digic 1V processor, and further reduced noise at high ISOs.

I honestly don't think youll go wrong with either, but I agree with Grendel, if you're thinking in the long term, it makes sense to get the 50D and keep ahead of the game ...at least at the start.

I agree. As soon as the 40D was launched, I put it in my want folder. But the 50D is "the next level" and the additions over the 40D are are worth taking into account..
Totally confused now.

Just to add another spanner in the works - if you really want a 50D and can wait a while, you would probably benefit from waiting for Focus at Birmingham NEC in Feb 2009 (see thread in Meeting Place). I got my 40D body there this year for £349 :D after cashback. You may still get a great deal on a 40D there in Feb as well.

I agree. As soon as the 40D was launched, I put it in my want folder. But the 50D is "the next level" and the additions over the 40D are are worth taking into account..
Totally confused now.

LOL. Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm not surprised you're confused, when you say things like , you're not "good enough" for a 1 Series. I know the choice is bewildering, but what do you mainly do with your images? If you're into wildlife and long lenses you'll see a big benefit from the 50D. If you submit stock library images you'll see a benefit in much easier submission. If you make really huge prints then you'll benefit too.

If however you just make normal sized prints, and show images on the web, then your 400D is more than up to the job, and to be perfectly honest, if you spent the money on glass you'd probably see a more spectacular increase in your image quality than any camera in the Canon range, including a 1 Series, and good glass will keep it's value when that body is on fleabay for about fourpence. ;)

For the price of the 50D, you could get a truly spectacular lens like the Canon 85mm 1.2L and the images will hit you between the eyes! I''m not saying it's necessariily the lens for you and you'd have other choices for the same money. :)

....the 50D is "the next level" and the additions over the 40D are are worth taking into account.

Really? When I look at the comparative table here, which I think draws out the main differences, I see very little to persuade me to upgrade, much less spend £300+ more on a 50D than a 40D....

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos50d/

Running through the main points....
1. Resolution - I don't want 15MP. What I want is pro-spec AF;
2. High ISO - the test shots I've seen to date are not at all persuasive;
3. Individual lens calibration - I've two bodies and six lenses and none have required calibration or any other attention from Canon;
4. New LCD screen - nice, but won't won't improve my photographs. Not worth paying extra for;
5. New Live View AF modes - not interested;
6. Peripheral illumination correction - It's a crop body! This is a solution looking for a problem (that barely exists);
7. User modes - I'd prefer to keep 3 custom settings than have a fancy idiot mode;
8. HDMI - I shoot raw. I will never display images straight out of the camera. In any case, I have an HTPC connected to my TV via HDMI.

Unless the AF is better than the 40D, and the viewfinder is better than the 40D, and the weather sealing is better than the 40D, and the high ISO performance offers a significant improvement then I see nothing here to excite me.

Then there is the dropped frame rate (trivial), the reduced raw buffer (bad), the excessive file size (bad), the loss of the C3 option (bad) and the extra £300+ (bad, bad, bad). As for s-raw, I've used it a couple of times on my 40D but would not miss it. If I want 7.1MP I can use my 30D.

EDIT : and another thing I want - integrated wireless flash control, without having to fork out another £100+ for an ST-E2 or similar. I think I've pretty much talked myself out of a 50D. I'll wait this round out and see what the 60D brings. Canon really needs to wake up and give photographers what they want, not what Canon wants. What I would really like is a 1D3 class of machine in a 1.6X crop body. Pro sealing, pro AF(that works), pro handling, 10MP but with the new microlens design and any other improvements introduced with the 50D, and throw in the wireless flash control and I'd be happy. Put it on the market at 1D3 prices less 20% and it would fly off the shelves.

I think the 40D has it on a " bang for bucks" philosophy. I must admit there was a small amount of camera lust involved in my dilemma.:wacky:

Ian, you might think differently if the 50D has any sort of issues like the AF debacle with the 1D3. I doubt very much that it will, but it's an example. Just some food for thought. If you can afford to wait then see what the reviews say, and how things turn out when the masses have had a chance to fully beta test it.

I'm wrong totally on the warranty front, thinking about it I would freak if my camera "shut down" , where as if it were a car, I would lift the bonnet.
Thanks

NIKON NIKON and arrrrrg nikon (sorry no help at all but thought I would just say it) :)

Nikon v Canon is equivalant to
Subaru v Evo's

Subaru owners eventually buy Evo's.

Evo owners. Top of the food chain.;););):p

Have to agree with CT - the question is what are you intending to use it for? I have the 40D and for action shots at 6fps it takes some beating for the money... get the 40D & be amazed (I have the 400D for underwater use) and spend the difference on L glass. There is no point trying to be ahead of the game - it will cost you 000's - finding a body you really like and sticking with it is the best approach IMHO(y)

Thanks for the brilliant response everybody.
I'm afraid I'm going to have to leave replying until tomorrow as I've got to get some sleep. (I'm a trucker parked in a lay by near Bath and I've got to be up at 4.30 in the morning.)
Sorry for cutting you all short, I didn't think I'd get the response I did!!
TP for you eh. Brilliant..

Back tomorrow.
Cheers

Ian

I reckon he's got a woman in that cab. ;)

:agree: :LOL: Up at 4.30 indeed ;)

I reckon he's got a woman in that cab. ;)

Lol CT:LOL: No way I'm afraid. I didn't have energy TBH, and she would have wanted a cuddle after..:nono::nono:.
I agree with you on buying decent glass instead, I do intend to I just wanted a mid market body that would suffice my needs and that I could forget about "newer" models and concentrate on improving my glass and images.
I don't get the oppurtunity to take as many shots as I would like due to my job. (unless layby's and industrial estates are your thing) I need a kick up the *** and I figure getting the body I want will give me that push to use it more (even though I deserve a new toy :):) )

:agree: :LOL: Up at 4.30 indeed ;)

I know Grendal. Not good. Home tomorrow though.;)

I know the choice is bewildering, but what do you mainly do with your images? If you're into wildlife and long lenses you'll see a big benefit from the 50D. If you submit stock library images you'll see a benefit in much easier submission. If you make really huge prints then you'll benefit too.

If however you just make normal sized prints, and show images on the web, then your 400D is more than up to the job.

For the price of the 50D, you could get a truly spectacular lens like the Canon 85mm 1.2L and the images will hit you between the eyes! I''m not saying it's necessariily the lens for you and you'd have other choices for the same money. :)

I just like taking pictures TBH, I'm havent found my "niche" market yet. Architecture and landscapes give me a buzz, and I would like to get into motorsport.
Photography just a hobby at the moment, so I don't submit images for stock, I wouldn't know how!! Thats another question for the TP experts :):)
Ian.

The concept of future proofing does not transfer well to the dSLR market. Your 40d will be working as well in 5 years as it is now.

I think the 40D has won my vote. Now to scour for the cheapest 40D prices and a 10-22 to compliment it.
Cheers

The concept of future proofing does not transfer well to the dSLR market. Your 40d will be working as well in 5 years as it is now.

I'd hope it will, but it will also be old technology by then. 5 years is a lifetime in the world of electronics! Who'd have thought, for example, when the 40D was released, just how soon after the 50D would come along!

Another way to look at it, up until now I have been concentrating on getting some good glass, now I have this I will be looking for a new body. I was waiting for the new 5D but to be honest it does not interest me as much as the 50D which I think will be more useful, especially for my horse shots.

I am quite happy to wait until a few people have them to see if there are any problems and for the price to come down a little and see if either Ebay offer another 10% off voucher or Canon to offer cashback.

Ian,

Thanks for this thread, it has been fun following it and helped me make up my mind. I was having the same dilema, but decided it would be best to upgrade to the 40D and put the extra dosh to getting a 24-105mm. Then wait for the 60D and have the same debate all over again.:)

My take on it:

Good Glass > Body

And I would predict that you'll be able to get a 50D in the UK for around the £700 mark (either with or without cashback) before the year is out.

Ian,

Thanks for this thread, it has been fun following it and helped me make up my mind. I was having the same dilema, but decided it would be best to upgrade to the 40D and put the extra dosh to getting a 24-105mm. Then wait for the 60D and have the same debate all over again.:)

My pleasure;););) My policy has always been, "If in doubt, ask an expert".

40D it is for me. Now where is the cheapest place to buy one??

Ian..

I am looking to upgrade from my 350D early next year and am delighted about the release of the 50D,it means that at least £100 will come off the price of the 40D and that puts it in my price bracket

My pleasure;););) My policy has always been, "If in doubt, ask an expert".

40D it is for me. Now where is the cheapest place to buy one??

Ian..

You could try Canon outlet on eBay, there is one ending within the hour. These are marked as refurned, but tend to have nothing wrong them, just damaged boxes and come with a 1 year canon warranty. This is where I got my 400D from a few months ago, so you can get good offers there.

They are also selling a 5D with a 24-105, No I shouldn't even go there.:bang:

Laskys have the 40D as a kit with the 17-85 for £789, minus the £60 cash back from Canon, which makes it an absolute steal compared to the overpriced 50D.

http://www.laskys.com/cameras_and_camcorders/cameras/digital_slr_cameras/canon_eos40d_17_85.html?refid=affil&referred_site=aw&_$ja=tsid:6094

I bought my first DSLR - a 30D with 17-85 lens - as a kit for £1066 in June 2006. That was the best price availlable in the UK back then. I was happy with that lens for a full year before deciding to go a bit mad and add a further four lenses to my collection in the space of a week, two of which were "L"s. Three months after buying the new lenses I bought my 40D. To get a 40D and the 17-85 lens for over £300 less than my 30D and lens, brand new today, is a pretty damn good deal.

Check out http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/cat1.html as a good place to start tracking down good prices, for bodies and lenses. I normally get my lenses from Hong Kong eBay dealers with the "No VAT" guarantees, but these days there is often little in it between their prices and the best in the UK, although that seems to vary with excahnge rates. A week or two back Hong Kong had almost no advantage, but that seems to be changing in the last week or so.

Back