50mm 1.2 help

Thanks for your posts on the clipping Cedric. Very interesting. I've got another question, which addresses the apparent fact that this effect does not appear in all images at f/1.2. I also note your other comments about how focusing distance and other things impact on this, but I wonder how this lens works on a 5DMk2?

Clearly, the original 5D is similarly affected (as used for the tests in your link) to your 50D but I recall one user saying (on another site) that his 50 1.2 was poor at focus shift on a 1Ds, but this disappeared on a 5DMk2. I'm not sure what's going on there, but maybe if Canon has fixed the focus shift in firmware (ie it knows the focusing distance and aperture and refocuses before exposure) then maybe they have addressed the mirror box issue? Not a format thing of course, but one of camera design.

Apologies, but these things intrigue me. And if I'm honest, despite my earlier remarks, I don't think these things detract from such an amazing lens. It's just got a bit of character ;)

this i've just taken and untouched unsized!!

IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1174.jpg

Exposure: 0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperture: f/1.6
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 200

I think the most important thing to consider with portraits of animals or people is the eyes. I would recommend giving the eyes priority, as they can hold so much character. This is only from a sigma 105 f2.8 so I can only imagine how tricky it must be to work with f1.2! Good luck and it will come with practice

i got the offer to buy it for £700 and took the offer thinking i would never get it for that price again and if i couldn't get on with it then i would sell it on hopefully make some on it too!!

Fair enough, you could probably sell it on again for more than that... lucky begger :p not that I could have afforded that either mind you

i started off with a 400D and have now got the 40D i do have a 1.8 lens and some other lenses too like the 70-300 IS

i have always struggled with the technical stuff and find it easier to learn by having someone actually showing me................... i am trying to take everything you say in but your all so technical LOL............this i'm sure is why its a mainly male dominated area!!

i promise i will get there, might take some time but i will!!

Sorry Shel. I would call it technical bordering on anal TBH. This thread is a good example, but I blame CT for starting me off ;) It is interesting from a technical standpoint, but actually the conclusion to that side debate has no pictorial relevance whatsoever. I guess that's a man thing, but feel free to ignore me/us.

You seem to be addressing a real pictorial issue, which is particular to this lens at f/1.2, and which requires absolutely meticulous technique. The slightest movement of the camera or subject, even just a few mm, is going to throw it out.

Stick at it and bear with us :)

Shel, to see what is happening with the focus, how about setting up a few bottles like CT, but also lay a 1ft ruler down there. Include some bottles in front of the focus point, as well as behind, and maybe get them to overlap in terms of distance. Focus on different bottles and see how close you get. The ruler will show you just how much (how little) depth of field you've got, and show you the focus point as it moves around between frames.

Sorry Shel. I would call it technical bordering on anal TBH. This thread is a good example, but I blame CT for starting me off ;) It is interesting from a technical standpoint, but actually the conclusion to that side debate has no pictorial relevance whatsoever. I guess that's a man thing, but feel free to ignore me/us.

You seem to be addressing a real pictorial issue, which is particular to this lens at f/1.2, and which requires absolutely meticulous technique. The slightest movement of the camera or subject, even just a few mm, is going to throw it out.

Stick at it and bear with us :)

LOL oh i will stick with it i want to learn i just hope you all have the patience

Instead of Auto focus.

On the RH top of the back of your camera you'll see a cross symbol, with a button below.

Press the button, now scroll using the top dial until the focus point is bottom left.

Now position the focus point over the bottles writing and take the shot again without moving the camera.

Ok, that doesn't look very sharp.

Next test.

Put camera on tripod.

Switch to Manual Focus.

Engage Live View

Menu>Live View Function Settings>Live View Shoot>Enable

Press Set Button.

Now press the + button till you get 10x and focus.

Take shot.

Any sharper ?

When you press "SET" the mirror flips up, and you can see what the lens does on your screen.

Exposure: 0.025 sec (1/40)
Aperture: f/1.2
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: +1/3 EV

IMG_1220.jpg

Nice Sony TV remote ;)

as has been mentioned get something with small detail on it like the Bottle in previous posts then stand this in front of some other bottles, a ruler is also a good idea so you can see where the depth of field is. Ideally need something with small writting as it's easier to see how sharp it is by judging if you can read it... cosmetic bottles, milk carton, stand a pack of paracetamol on it's side etc... then line a few things up behind it at different distances

coolio will give that ago later i have to pick my other 2 boys up now trying to learn this with a 4yr old around isn't easy and i'm sure when the i get the other 2 its gonna get harder LOL

I know it's sort of what you are already looking into but I know with my 1.8 version on the 300D I just settled for using a fixed focus point on the camera, e.g. the middle focus point, as letting the camera choose the focus point with a shallow depth of field was proving a nightmare... I found I got far more consistent results that way..

Let us know how you get on though

Still doesn't look very sharp. :(

Maybe it's because the image is being resized and that has affected it?... I really don't know just taking a guess here

I know it's sort of what you are already looking into but I know with my 1.8 version on the 300D I just settled for using a fixed focus point on the camera, e.g. the middle focus point, as letting the camera choose the focus point with a shallow depth of field was proving a nightmare... I found I got far more consistent results that way..

Let us know how you get on though

yep i totally agree!!

i'm so used to focusing the recomposioning which you just can't do with this lens..... keep trying i suppose haha thank you all for your help your ace!

i didn't resize unless photobucket does automatically??

I just cut and pasted the image URL into my browser and the image was still the same size, so it's deffinately been re-sized at some point from your camera unless you are shooting in low quality small res jpeg? can't see that you would be

paleblue said:
are you using any filter? Like a UV? they're all looking a bit soft..

Not much experience of this myself but I have heard this before so worth checking

Shel...aint they great, this bunch?

Hi all...Shel is a good friend of mine, and we have been taking our photography journey together.

She told me about this thread, and l have learned a bit just from reading it.

l have a 400D with a 1.8. l have been thinking about getting the 1.4, but am wondering now. Mind you, for weddings it would be ok for distance shots l am thinking.

l have my first one in July.....l'm only a little nervous....honest!

Back