5D II is DEAD

Difficult situation for you Grant - you'd hope that once fixed the technicians will give it a full rundwn test before allowing the camera out again. You could get a replacment and have another fault appear.

I don#t see any harm in talking to eBuyer - they may well do nothing, as they could, but given the value they may well just ask to swap it out for a new one to keep future custom .

Stories like this makes me glad I bought my body from a store rather than the internet. When I had my hot pixel issues I got a new body on the day from Jessops. Hope you get this sorted soon.

Time to give up Grant and get a replacement.

Just on the phone now.

I raised an issue, had it escalated, and apparently they closed the ticket, without an answer!

So I was waiting for a phone call from management, and I wasn't gonna get one apparently.

I am absolutely sick and tired of this.

So the guy has escalated it, again, with Canon Repairs in London. I'm curious as to why he stated the only people he can escalate the issue with, is them? Are they the only sector of Canon I can speak to about this issue? It's them themselves that I'm fed up with, isn't there anyone bloody higher?

Yep - it's a lemon. Refuse under fitness for purpose/merchantable quality and demand a replacement.

This is under the warranty and terms and conditions of Canon, because I went the warranty route, I can't do that...

I can, however, ask eBuyer for a refund, but they stipulated they will only refund me if I send them the BROKEN camera. If I send it repaired, no refund.

So I'm going to be asking Canon, nicely, if they can give up fixing the camera, so I can get a refund and a D700.

This is why you should have gone to eBuyer in the first place. The advice to avoid the retailer and go to Canon was frankly daft. eBuyer would have refunded and sent the dead body back to Canon for a replacement and left Canon to sort it on their own dime.

So, get it back and go to the retailer who your original contract was with.

This is why you should have gone to eBuyer in the first place. The advice to avoid the retailer and go to Canon was frankly daft. eBuyer would have refunded and sent the dead body back to Canon for a replacement and left Canon to sort it on their own dime.

So, get it back and go to the retailer who your original contract was with.

Yes, I'm aware. I don't need hindsight being bashed over my head :puke:

Learnt my lesson, this time - eh? :woot:

They offered to loan me a camera, whilst I wait.

They offer this, 4 weeks into the repair, knowing it'll be delayed by another 2.

I was told yesterday, that next wednesday was when I should have my camera back, fixed. Now apparently next wednesday is the earliest I can recieve the loan camera, whilst mine still gets fixed.

There's sympathy in the logic, sure. But they must realise how much of a kick in the teeth that is!

I think this is the fastest they've ever moved their asses... And that's for a return of the unrepaired camera.

Due to send it back to eBuyer for a refund...

You HAVE to be kidding me.

So I rang eBuyer again stating why I want an RMA. I can't. They won't accept it as it's now been opened by Canon...

This is unbelievable.

You HAVE to be kidding me.

So I rang eBuyer again stating why I want an RMA. I can't. They won't accept it as it's now been opened by Canon...

This is unbelievable.

That's just bad luck. Perhaps you need to get eBuyer to talk to cannon and sort something out?

Given that Canon are a reputable and qualified dealer I am surprised that eBuyer take that stance though. It's not as if you opened the body.

Good luck with getting someone senior somewhere to exercise some "latitude" to help you out.

Grant, can I make a suggestion mate?

If you go to Canon UKs Press Office then I'm sure they'll get things moving, without a doubt.

This is simply very poor service that you've been getting and I certainly wouldn't accept it.

They'll probably ask for a list of events and then take it up at the highest level, allocating it to one of their top people.

Hope this helps ;)(y)

That's just bad luck. Perhaps you need to get eBuyer to talk to cannon and sort something out?

Given that Canon are a reputable and qualified dealer I am surprised that eBuyer take that stance though. It's not as if you opened the body.

Good luck with getting someone senior somewhere to exercise some "latitude" to help you out.

They're stating that because I went to Canon 'off my own back' with the warranty - they're no longer able to issue the refund/repair...

Grant, can I make a suggestion mate?

If you go to Canon UKs Press Office then I'm sure they'll get things moving, without a doubt.

This is simply very poor service that you've been getting and I certainly wouldn't accept it.

They'll probably ask for a list of events and then take it up at the highest level, allocating it to one of their top people.

Hope this helps ;)(y)

Just done that now, mate, she said she's a journalist and couldn't really help :LOL: transferred me back round to the same number I've been ringing...

They're stating that because I went to Canon 'off my own back' with the warranty - they're no longer able to issue the refund/repair...

Just done that now, mate, she said she's a journalist and couldn't really help :LOL: transferred me back round to the same number I've been ringing...

:LOL:

How strange..I complained to them and spoke to a high level customer service executive at the press office and the matter was sorted the same day..

I'll have a look this afternoon for a contact and then re-post.

Sorry to hear about this mess mate :( Really is time for some good old butt kicking to get this resolved ;)

:LOL:

How strange..I complained to them and spoke to a high level customer service executive at the press office and the matter was sorted the same day..

I'll have a look this afternoon for a contact and then re-post.

Sorry to hear about this mess mate :( Really is time for some good old butt kicking to get this resolved ;)

Are you a registered professional by any chance? I assume that's the only reason your queries would've been raised and mine not...

Consumer Direct have pretty much called ******** on eBuyer's claims, and said that I need to now have my complaint in writing.

This is what I didn't want. I figured going back through eBuyer would be the fastest port of call, and now it's seeming to be like it could be the longest...

So regardless, I'm still going to be stuck for a fortnight without my camera.

I think the idea of receiving a loan body for the time being is seeming the sweetest. Although at this stage it's about as sweet as being kicked in the nuts with a rusty screw and apologising for it not being in the leg instead.

I would never accept that camera back as it would now be classed as a re-furb, seeing as you only bought it recently i would be contacting Canon to say that you want a brand new body to replace the one they are repairing as its not acceptable for something to fail so soon that cost so much. If you ever wanted to sell it at a later date its not that easy to sell a re-furb compared to a well looked after original camera.

They can sell your body on ebay on their re-furb account so they wouldn`t really lose out as people are paying silly money for them canon refurbs.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Canon-Outlet_Canon-EOS-SLR-Cameras_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ3QQftidZ2QQtZkm

I would never accept that camera back as it would now be classed as a re-furb, seeing as you only bought it recently i would be contacting Canon to say that you want a brand new body to replace the one they are repairing as its not acceptable for something to fail so soon that cost so much. If you ever wanted to sell it at a later date its not that easy to sell a re-furb compared to a well lokked after original camera.

They can sell your body on ebay on their re-furb account so they wouldn`t really lose out as people are paying silly money for them canon refurbs.

Unfortunately they're not able to issue a replacement body, as I'm going to them under the conditions of the warranty. The conditions are they'll fix my camera. There's nothing that states should the repair take too long, then I'm entitled to a replacement body.

Sad, but understandable. If I'd have gone to eBuyer initially, this whole matter would've been resolved outright. Although having gone the route I have, it's exposed the true colours of both companies to me! The consumer isn't important, in this case, anyhow. And to me, this is the only bloody case that matters!

eBuyer would have refunded and sent the dead body back to Canon for a replacement and left Canon to sort it on their own dime.

Have you every tried to send anything back to eBuyer? even DoA? Believe me when I say that the hassle the OP is going through with Canon is minor compared to some people's experience of going back through that particular retailer!

B.

The OP's contract is with eBuyer - and if it comes to it that's what is going to matter.

Exactly. My only concern, however, is having a working camera in my hands as soon as possible. It seems the eBuyer route will now take the longest possible, so I feel my only option is to pursue Canon.

The OP's contract is with eBuyer - and if it comes to it that's what is going to matter.

Agreed, however the issue here is with the repair centre, also Canon releasing a model knowing that spare parts are not available and the user being without a camera for a month, plus a few weeks extra.

I have spoken to Head Office and have PMd Grant with a contact to get this matter sorted.

At the end of the day, Canon make the camera, EBuyer has supplied the camera and yes the contract is usually with them, but the poor service received/lack of planning is by an Authorised service centre/Canon...

That's not under debate - but the fact of the matter is that the initial advice to deal with Canon and not eBuyer was flawed. That was the point I'm making.

RIGHT!

So I've had a call back from Maureen from Canon Elstree (whom I remember well last week being amazingly helpful despite the crap that's gone on). She's advised me that since it's been brought to her attention again, and due to the fact that this '6th' spare part is due to be "quite a while" - she's happy to replace the body with a B-Stock body.

Now, apparently the reason this B-Stock body hasn't gone to retailers from the factory line is due to a faulty charger. She says that the warranty seals are still in tact on the body, and that it's fully working and brand new. I believe her.

So! She has to go through Colchester Camera Repair (as they're the people I went to initially, so it all has to continue by-the-book) and they'll contact me confirming it all being put into motion.

Awesome.

So essentially I'm getting a replacement body, and now Canon are the people whom I have the 'contract' with in terms of should I want a refund/replacement/warranty issue, as the Camera purchased through eBuyer is now contracted with them? It's all confusing as hell to me to understand, let alone relay and explain in simpler terms...

Result! Kinda.

That's not under debate - but the fact of the matter is that the initial advice to deal with Canon and not eBuyer was flawed. That was the point I'm making.

Fair enough, that's a valid point :)

Can't believe that Canon or anyone would release a £2k camera without having spare parts in place.

Anyway, seems Grant has a solution that he's reasonably happy with :)

Grant, no problems mate. Hope I helped collectively along with the others. I'm constantly amazed at the support members give on this site.

Never seen anything like the community spirit on here before :)

I'd go as far as to say it was to create the 'illusion' of popular demand.

Anyway, just another thing I found funny, she explained to me that the 5 parts he's replaced so far hadn't solved it, and he wasn't even sure that the 6th part was going to fix the issue...

Which begs the question, who are these engineers?! And what did I do to my camera that made them scratch their heads for a month?!

Geez and I also forgot to mention that "as a sign of our apologies" she's extending/renewing the warranty from the date I receive the new camera. So 2 months extension on my warranty, basically. Not bad! Although as it's a direct replacement, I figured contractually that'd be the case anyway? Maybe she just tried to bend it to sound like a good will gesture :p

hi grant. cant believe you have had so much hassle with the camera. just to enlighten you on the warranty issue. having worked in the retail industry before the basic rule of returns in this..... if you buy an electrical product(or almost anything for that matter) the warranty runs from the day of purchase as normal. if, however, the item is returned as faulty, lets say 3 months later, to the retailer or factory, the warranty on the new unit runs from the date of original purchase. which means that you can actually buy something new have it for 11 months and 30 days, it then goes wrong and you get it replaced and the warranty will expire on the following day!
how they can actually get away with this i dont really know but i must admit whenever i have had something go faulty i have always argued the point that the new item comes with a full warranty rather than whats left on the original item. 99% of the time the manufacturer will give you the full wattanty but some people will not question this so the manufacturer wont give it.
what canon have given you in regard to warranty is a the minimum i would have argued for but seeing as you went through so much hassle i would have maybe pushed for a longer warranty or some kind of compensation.

hi grant. cant believe you have had so much hassle with the camera. just to enlighten you on the warranty issue. having worked in the retail industry before the basic rule of returns in this..... if you buy an electrical product(or almost anything for that matter) the warranty runs from the day of purchase as normal. if, however, the item is returned as faulty, lets say 3 months later, to the retailer or factory, the warranty on the new unit runs from the date of original purchase. which means that you can actually buy something new have it for 11 months and 30 days, it then goes wrong and you get it replaced and the warranty will expire on the following day!
how they can actually get away with this i dont really know but i must admit whenever i have had something go faulty i have always argued the point that the new item comes with a full warranty rather than whats left on the original item. 99% of the time the manufacturer will give you the full wattanty but some people will not question this so the manufacturer wont give it.
what canon have given you in regard to warranty is a the minimum i would have argued for but seeing as you went through so much hassle i would have maybe pushed for a longer warranty or some kind of compensation.

Thanks for the clarification mate,

I'm personally of the opinion that a fully functioning and working camera, in my hand, in a reasonable time - is all I require from the manufacturer. Even though I may have lost work, had the expense of using film for over a month, and being taken for a ride every week with regards to its repair status, Canon do state in their warranty conditions that compensation for a delay in repairs, isn't covered. And fair enough. So for an extra couple of months on my guarantee and the ability to take all my issues to Canon instead of eBuyer now, I actually feel perfectly okay with the result.

If anything, I think I've learnt a valuable lesson on not depending on others to bend over backwards for me when I'm without a working camera. That sort of scenario should be covered by myself, and myself only. I had no backup camera (aside from having to beg and borrow my girlfriends 50D from time to time...) and I had the pleasure/displeasure (however you look at it) of having to shoot film for the remainder.

So in some screwed up sort of silver lining, I suppose this is an early lesson into my career that this could, would and has happened, and therefore I should prepare for it.

Did you buy this on a credit card? If the replacement falls through, go back to eBuyer, tell them you're returning it because it's not fit for purpose and when they refuse tell your credit card company you want the money back.

sorry to read what you have been through m8

regards to you asking why they are on the 6th part to fix, now a days things aren't diagnosed down to component level its just a case of replace a part until fixed, to stick up for the engineers with it being such a new camera the engineers are in the learning phase of this camera, im a service engineer and tbh when a new product comes out we basically don't have a clue at first, but once the product has been out a while its pretty easy to fix as there is usually only a few things that go wrong with a given model.

we do get some stick but in our defence we get very little help from the designers ect of the products

sorry to read what you have been through m8

regards to you asking why they are on the 6th part to fix, now a days things aren't diagnosed down to component level its just a case of replace a part until fixed, to stick up for the engineers with it being such a new camera the engineers are in the learning phase of this camera, im a service engineer and tbh when a new product comes out we basically don't have a clue at first, but once the product has been out a while its pretty easy to fix as there is usually only a few things that go wrong with a given model.

we do get some stick but in our defence we get very little help from the designers ect of the products

Thats very interesting.... coming from a different perspective.

Is that the replacement one they were sending you? What was up with it?

Back