5D II is DEAD

They say it's a phenomenon that happens with all cameras (except the previous 2 I owned apparently) and that it's nothing that can be fixed.

It's supremely annoying and aggrivating when I'm trying to compose a shot and I get a red blob on someones face instead. Argh.

But they 'assure' me that it's been checked against 5 other cameras, and they even called Canon Europe to verify that it's not affecting the performance of the camera...

I don't know, I tried to argue my case but they won't back down. It's like ordering a brand new Porche with a scratch down the side of it, only to be told that it ain't gonna get fixed cus it still does 210mph.

I have the same problem with my 50D - they again say it's nothing that affects quality so won't do anything. I'm not really bothered by it though but would be nicer if it want' there!!!

DB

if it helps
I have a 5DII
I hadn't noticed the effect you mention (I usually use only the centre focus point)
it looks to me almost as if it's a spurious reflection - may be caused by that point being very close to the focussing screen

I know you've had a lot of grief - but this time I think Canon may have a point

if it helps
I have a 5DII
I hadn't noticed the effect you mention (I usually use only the centre focus point)
it looks to me almost as if it's a spurious reflection - may be caused by that point being very close to the focussing screen

I know you've had a lot of grief - but this time I think Canon may have a point

Don't get me wrong!

I'll happily receive the camera back and have no qualms what so ever. I don't use the top focus point anyway, so this won't even really be an issue for me.

How ever I just wanted to make sure that this wasn't going to affect my AF performance, and whether it was just me, or something that affects a lot of cameras.

The fact it affects lots of cameras means that's a design flaw, surely? And whilst I'll happily take the camera as is, shouldn't they be aiming to fix it instead of 'deal' with it? For a 2k camera, it's a little disheartening.

I never see the point in involving retailers (unless its DOA I guess), as ultimately the warranty rests with the manufacture.

It's just another pair of hands to pass through, and adds potential for delays / cock-ups.
As others have pointed out, the contract is between you & the retailer: thus The Sale Of Goods Act may give you a longer coverage than the manufacturer's warranty.

I would consider side-stepping the retailer and going directly to the manufacturer to be risky, as I would fear that the manufacturer might just swap the item for a replacement one. In this case, you'd be stuffed should the replacement unit then fail after the expiry of the manufacturer's warranty, as the serial number would be different and you'd be unable to claim from the retailer.

The Sale Of Goods Act covers goods for upto 6 years after sale, although emphasis on the upto. You have to argue the individual case, but it's usually longer than a manufacturers' warranty and, since your contract is with the retailer, they may just back down if you send them a well-worded rebuke mentioning the possibility of small-claims action.

Stroller.

>>since your contract is with the retailer, they may just back down if you send them a well-worded rebuke mentioning the possibility of small-claims action.

Unlikely - the retailer is eBuyer... Don't get me wrong, eBuyer are a retailer who manage to provide sometimes astonishing prices, however they feature in trade press rather a lot regarding commercial lines of credit. Computer forums everywhere are filled with stories of how when things work eBuyer are great value for money but the after sales support/customer care is often poor; there are complete nightmares recounted where delivery/returns are concerned.

They are not a retailer whom I would consider for supply of items such as a £2k camera which unfortunately doesn't help the OP.

B.

Back