5d Mk2 Video clip, with a 800mm Sigmonster + 2x TC

WOW, even with its 'hiccups' I still think this is one amazing bit of kit and will still be getting one in april :)

Wow. I'm loving all this video footage coming out with the 5d mk2 and serious lenses. Must. Save. Hard.

i too had severe reservations about HD video on a DSLR, but from the stuff thats coming out now, i think they have done it just right, is a shame the QC seems to have let them down again on some fo the bodies but im sure that will get resolved sooner rather than later.

I had reservations about them putting video on this. They are now gone!
Very impressive, although as a photographer I still don't understand why people are buying this 'because' of the video capture. Say your out one day, and you see a once in a lifetime event happening (I'll go with wildlife as it's my main interest) and you only have a few seconds to photograph or film it...if you would choose to film it rather than photograph it then surely you have the wrong bit of equipment and you should have a camcorder that takes photo's rather than a camera that takes film? :shrug:

I don't know, I guess I just see it as more of an (impressive) gimmick. But then I guess there are probably people out there who buy camcorders because they have good stills ability too and use them as camera's so what do I know :nuts:

There seems to be a lot of excitement about the 5D video after the initial gasps of shock horror. Do you think it'd be madness to buy a 5D II if you had no intention of shooting video? How much of the £2k price tag is paying for this feature?

I can't imagine it'd be that much given that smaller point and shoots are able to shoot HD video now too.

if you are int he market for a full frame DSLR then i think the 2k asking price isnt so bad, it will soon settle down to about 1500 the same as the 5D Mk1 did, so i dont think you are paying so much more for the video feature.

I can't imagine it'd be that much given that smaller point and shoots are able to shoot HD video now too.

I'd agree with that live view was where the cost and diffculty came into it, once we got live view video was only a matter of time. I wouldn't be suprised to see live view and video on the next 1D release.

I think it's impressive technology but isn't something I'd use a camera for often enough to justify the extra cost that must be factored in to the price of the camera.

again amazing:eek:
Is that going to mean that one day photography will be a matter of filming then just choosing your favourite still from the film?
cutting edge today is mainstream in a few years?
alex

I reckon thats exactly what could happen for some things.

I reckon thats exactly what could happen for some things.
Fairly static subjects, I'd say yes I'd agree but in general terms no. Taking a freeze frame from video of anything moving will just give you lots of movement blur. You'd need to be fiimng in high speed to take a sharp still of action etc. But I agree in some applications it might be useful.

The Reverie video is awesome too, but then again, Vincent did use about $20K worth of lenses or something like that.

that really is amazing.lol

I've decided that my New Years resolution is to own a 5D MKII....and make a video that doesn't go on for so long ;)

I've never really understood why people resist the idea of video on a DSLR so strenuously. The way it's been implemented gives you another very powerful tool at your disposal whilst taking nothing away from the still capabilities of the camera, and you don't have to use it anyway? :shrug:

It is very impressive but with £6,000 of equipment it should be

I appear to be the only one not that impressed. Personally I'd rather buy a HD video camera for video. What was impressive is how still the 1600mm lens was being held. I'd love to know what tripod etc was in use.

I appear to be the only one not that impressed. Personally I'd rather buy a HD video camera for video. What was impressive is how still the 1600mm lens was being held. I'd love to know what tripod etc was in use.

You won't be getting the lovely 35mm bokeh from a standard HD video camera though! It'll be P&S-esque!

So if you know what you doing, you will get more DOF out of the Canon.

Yes! He is using 20x zoom...which isn't really practical in a lot of situations! Even P&S can get some DoF when fully zoomed!

It has a 1/3 inch sensor which kind of limits it.

You can get an SGPro, which a few friends have to use 35mm lenses with DV cameras. However they are a pain in the rear end to use and if your lenses have electronic aperture control, like all EF lenses do, then you are stuck to using them wide open!

The camera comes as standard with the 20x zoom ;)

Oh and it's L glass...

Yes but you can't do a nice wide angle shot saying looking down on someone with the floor nicely out of focus could you?

You can trust me on this one..I've a Panasonic DVX100 in the next room which has the same sensor size..a friend who does music videos professionally has a Panasonic P2 which has the same sensor size (I think)....you aren't going to get DoF equal to that of 35mm natively! His website here just in case you want to have a nosey!

DV camera sensors are in no way different to that of P&S when it comes to photographic techniques, L glass or not :)

The SGPro I mentioned mimics having a 35mm sensor...that's the only way to do it unless you spend megabucks on an actual 35mm camera!

I watched the HD video and was impressed. I also noticed that the focus wasn't always locked on the right thing. would this be using autofocus or manual?

People who own £12,000 HD Camera's still buy adapters specifically for fitting SLR Lenses on, and getting the good quality DoF and Sharpness.

letus35-extreme-front.jpg

letus.jpg

Back