5D3 and which other?

Edit My Images
No
I'm looking for a body to complement/use alongside my 5D3.

I use the 5D3 mainly for landscapes and wildlife while travelling, along with images of family, and I value it for its low-light capabilities.

Lenses? I have a Canon 24-105, Sigma 12-24 and a Sigma 150-600 Sport.

Suggestions with, hopefully, the thinking behind them would be welcome.

Last edited:
5Ds R is a little different and offers crazy resolution, or you could go for more expensive but faster 1DX. 2x5D3 isn't bad either (I went with that option a while ago now).

P.S. What use is that 10-20 on full frame body?!

100 2.8 L macro is then shizzle!!!

what sort of budget? I'm in a similar situation myself been looking at the sony a7 ii and sony a7 r ii ( already have a 6d)

Thanks for the responses. I was deliberately vague so as not to push suggestions in any particular direction but...

Panasonic GX7. Bargain at the minute

Thanks, but I would prefer to stick to Canon.

What do you want from a second body?

Flexibility? I would want to add to the options I already have with the 5D3.Something reasonably weatherproof/resistant would be good as it's going to find itself in polar regions and the heat and dust of Africa.

I've used a 70D alongside the 5D3 but it's noticeably not as good in low light. I had my Sigma 150-500 on it at dusk on a ship off Greenland recently watching a polar bear and her cub on an ice floe. The 5D3 images had less noise but were, of course, missing the 1.6x reach.

what sort of budget?

££s don't matter. Though I'm not going to spend silly money for minimal benefit!

in that case I would go for a 5dsr or a 1dx personally I would wait until the 1dxii is out next year but that's me......

6d is a good second body for the 5d3. I use it for my landscape stuff mostly and leave the 5d3 on my 150-600.

Can't help noticing you've got a gap in your lens coverage as well......105>150.

Suggest a 70-200 so that for medium telephoto stuff you're not lugging a great superzoom around.

in that case I would go for a 5dsr or a 1dx personally I would wait until the 1dxii is out next year but that's me......

Cough, splutter! Thanks, my fault, I know I said ££s were not an issue, perhaps I should have said the cost should be around that of a 5D3?

Not that I've used one but I am bit surprised no one has mentioned a 7D II. It's one that I am considering as a second body alongside a 6D so I'm interested in what others think.

Can't help noticing you've got a gap in your lens coverage as well......105>150.

Suggest a 70-200 so that for medium telephoto stuff you're not lugging a great superzoom around.

Yes, the gap is there. I had (still have) a Sigma 50-500 and so was covered all the way from 12 to 500. The 150-600 is noticeably better than the 50-500 but, from time-to-time, I have missed the cover the 50-500 gave and the longer minimum focus distance of the 150-600 has been an issue on a couple of occasions. As usual, which way to compromise is difficult: 50-500 with its closer minimum focus, 50 at the wide end, but lesser image quality; or the 150-600 with its superior image quality but more limited wide end and focussing distance.

Having said that, I'm not sure adding a 70-200 to my collection would be the answer as I tend to find myself in situations where choosing a lens from my current collection is clear and I also already struggle with weight limits on flights: my carry-on is all photographic with just a little padding!

I will, though. have a look at the70-200. Perhaps if it arrives in the same package as a second body Management might not notice (though its colour might give it away)!

For Wildlife it would have to be the 1DX, specifically as you've mentioned cold and dusty environments

If the solution is a second 5D3 then that's fine, though it's interesting to see that a 7D2 has been suggested a couple of times...

would get a 1d mkiv or a 1d mkiii before a 7d ii personally but that's not to say the 7d2 is a bad camera

I'm in a similar position with one 5Diii and no reserve body if anything goes wrong, my thoughts so far are another 5Diii so all the buttons and settings are the same. I also use my kit in the arctic (Iceland is close) and dusty Africa.

would a 1d not offer better option for weather that you are shooting with big andy?

Great AF coverage, 10fps, extra reach, the 7D2 would be my choice, a great second camera for the 5D3 IMO. (takes same batteries too)

Not that I've used one but I am bit surprised no one has mentioned a 7D II. It's one that I am considering as a second body alongside a 6D so I'm interested in what others think.

"cough" ;) post #8 great minds :)

Last edited:
With another 5D3 you know exactly what you're getting, so you have a backup and can have a different lens to save swapping about.

The reason I suggested a 7D2 is that the pixel density and crop factor give you different options regarding the lenses you have. In low light conditions you'll want to reach for the the 5D3 first, but there are other times when the 7D2 may be the body of choice. Its roughly half the price of a 5D3 and cheaper than a secondhand 1D4 (x1.3 crop), but has AF derived from the 5D3 / 1DX family.
You mention wildlife in your original post and its pixel density beats the 5D3.

Lots to think about.

what about a 5dsr I guess it is a worthwhile alternative as could use it in crop mode to get longer and use it in full mode to get high res... budgetwise not the best though lol

No doubt the 5DSR is an great camera, shame FPS does not increase in crop mode, downside for action compared to a 1DX or 7D2, second hand 1DX would be my choice if budget was up around 3k Mark, also 50mp is a hell of a workload depending on what you edit with, some I know have found workflow has ground to a halt!

Saying that :-

last one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EOS...949393?hash=item1c5c8ed751:g:dS4AAOSwuTxWAbjM

Ooosh, lot of camera! Nothing compares to pro body and machine gun frame rates!

Last edited:
I do love the 5dsr seriously considering it as a backup to my 5d3 and 6d or should I say upgrade.... I'm also considering a a7 rii but that will be my fun camera

1DS Mk3 ticks all your boxes, fantastic camera and for the £££ they're available for now they're an absolute steal.

I heard mk3 is a cracker never owned one might have to trial at least

I don't think another 5d mkiii is what you need here given what you've said about your shooting habits, I'd seriously consider the 7d mkii it will complement the 5dmkiii nicely in terms of handling etc but give you the 'extra reach' of the crop factor which seems to be something you want/need. The older 1d's are obviously an option but your looking at a bit of a change in terms of weight and handling in exchange for less 'extra reach', try and borrow/hire a 7dmkii and see what you think!

Thanks for the responses. I was deliberately vague so as not to push suggestions in any particular direction but...

Thanks, but I would prefer to stick to Canon.

Flexibility? I would want to add to the options I already have with the 5D3.Something reasonably weatherproof/resistant would be good as it's going to find itself in polar regions and the heat and dust of Africa.

I've used a 70D alongside the 5D3 but it's noticeably not as good in low light. I had my Sigma 150-500 on it at dusk on a ship off Greenland recently watching a polar bear and her cub on an ice floe. The 5D3 images had less noise but were, of course, missing the 1.6x reach.

££s don't matter. Though I'm not going to spend silly money for minimal benefit!
Canon 6d, no brainer!

I was looking for a second body to sit alongside my 5D3 a few months ago.

Main reason I have for owning 2 bodies is to avoid lens swapping as far as possible whilst in the (very dusty) African bush, and of course to give me some redundancy should the worst happen to one or other body.

I liked the idea of a crop body, but after a couple of years owning a 7D1, its low light / high ISO performance irritated me. Reviews suggested the 7D2 isn't a whole lot better in this respect.

So, I went for a 6D, and so far, so good - a very able body.

I have a 7d2 and 5d3. The extra reach is welcome, but I wish I'd got two 5D3s instead. The meter in the viewfinder on the 7d2 is on the side as opposed to the bottom and I can get caught out thinking my exposure is okay when it's not. Also I know what to expect more from the 5d3 in terms of field of view and zoom. Probably my own shortcomings, but worth considering. Definitely worth trying before you buy.

I added the 7d2 (to my 5D3)from HDew today...should be here on Friday. Can't wait for the speed! I had this combo before but traded in for a 5d3 but want a second body.

I'm looking for a body to complement/use alongside my 5D3.

I use the 5D3 mainly for landscapes and wildlife while travelling, along with images of family, and I value it for its low-light capabilities.

Lenses? I have a Canon 24-105, Sigma 12-24 and a Sigma 150-600 Sport.

Suggestions with, hopefully, the thinking behind them would be welcome.

If the solution is a second 5D3 then that's fine, though it's interesting to see that a 7D2 has been suggested a couple of times...

What do you want the new additional body to do compared to your 5D mkIII ?

Obviously you know how good your current camera is, so what would you like your additional one to do that the 5D falls a bit short on - the obvious one is extra FPS - then the 7D mkII falls very nicely for you...

I've got a 7D2 and a 6D to compliment my 5D3. If I'm shooting an event such as a wedding or christening then I take the 6D along with the 5D3, if it's a wildlife or airshow event then the 7D2 comes along with the 5d3. I have a 100-400 L MkI and a MkII so for the long shots it's the MkI on the 5D3 and the MkII on the 7D2. The 7D2 and the 100-400 II is a dream setup for aircraft and wildlife shots, it gives me some fantastic IQ shots. For the other events it's usually the 5D3 with my 24-70 f2.8L and the 6D with whatever else the event requires.

Back