60 Days before I can buy some photo gear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

I have just joined the forum and so far really pleased with the info it provides and the friendly nature of people who seem more than happy to help with tips etc. Looking forward to posting some photos and helping others where I can.

I have a question (not a moan!!)

Why do I need to be a member for 60 days before I can even look at the For Sale section? I have money in my pocket wanting to upgrade my gear (and want to stay clear of Ebay) and thought that this would be a good place to buy well cared for kit.

I can understand not being allowed to sell anything for 60 days as I wouldn't send my hard earned cash to someone just joined either - but why can't I buy??

Just wondering.....Jim.

Last edited:
Not only 60 days but you have to have a number of post as well, It's to see if you are just here to trade or going to be part of the community

I think it's to stop people from using this site like eBay and not taking the time to look and post in the other sections of the forum.

It's not long to wait and soon passes as this is a fab site with lots to do and see and learn.

From the rules:

This shows that you've settled in properly as a member on Talk Photography. You will be awarded this when you make just 25 posts and have been a member for 60 days. Once you reach this level you can access all our restricted forums (Classifieds etc).

So that's it! Dead easy. All you have to do is register and join in! You can do pretty much anything once you've joined. Please note that membership 'upgrades' are applied automatically by the website, roughly on an hourly basis once you reach the criteria (So please don't expect the extra perks straight away!)

It's nothing personal, there are a lot of good retailers of used equipment if you cannot wait, MPB Photographic being one of the bigger ones (y) but in the time it takes you to get access use the forum to ask questions on the kit you want to buy you may find different options that might even save costly buying errors

Edit: speaking for myself I see it as a trust thing, for me you need to show your interested in the community not just the perks of being part of the community

Matt

Last edited:
James - It's how things seem to be in this community, rightly or wrongly. I came here to buy gear used, ended up buying new instead, even after gaining access to the classifieds. Before you get access it can feel as though it must be some kind of Aladdin's cave of cheap and wonderful gear, but in reality it's just another classifieds, albeit with occasional bargains.

As Matt says, there's lots of used camera suppliers out there: LCE seem pretty good, but you can google just as effectively as I can.

Welcome to TP :)

The rules is also to stop people spotting a bargain, joining to snap it up, never to be seen again, which used to happen quite a bit.

Ultimately, the classifieds are provided as a perk for contributing members

And as we keep saying, we're not here because of the classifieds, we could do without them if we were faced with it in the long run etc. And don't think about doing 50 useless posts per day, the Mods will notice and ban you I believe :D

Thanks guys, and I understand and appreciate what your saying, but it does seem a bit of a shame I have money in my pocket and can't benefit other members by buying their gear - i'm sure there is nothing I'm after anyway!! (Anyone selling a D7000??? lol) - by the time the 60 days has passed, my money will be well and truly else where (probably on a new pair of shoes for the wife....).

Anyway, look forward to chatting in other posts :)

Oh and you now have to wait 120 days and 50 posts for not reading the rules before asking

I'm evil innit

Oh and you now have to wait 120 days and 50 posts for not reading the rules before asking

I'm evil innit

Not strictly true... (they won't listen to my advice...)

Anyway, think we've covered this now... Mind the doors folks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back