68lbs Does The 52 Thing! Week 14 - Shoot (back upto date)

Chemistry: I'll definitely join the fan club for this shot - it's got the lot! Loads of interest, contrast, lights, rich blue sky .... I'd be thrilled if I'd taken that. :)

Candid: A lovely shot - definitely one for the album. Well done on all doing the mile, too - especially with that heavy lens! :) btw - I hadn't noticed the spot until it ws pointed out!

Produce: You're being a bit hard on yourself! It's a perfectly acceptable shot, but good composition and bang on theme. Just think of all the chips you could make with those spuds! :D

Jean

I like your produce shot - the colours and composition are good. I think a crop would further improve it and depending on what was in the background a lower angle of view might have put the potatoes more 'in your face' for even more impact.

Good job, though

Phil

:shrug: Not much wrong with it that I can see.
Well lit, well composed and lovely & sharp.

The subject matter might not be right up there with the most exciting or dramatic images I’ve ever seen, but that doesn’t make it a bad shot.
In fact I could see something like this in some "organic gardener's magazine".

I love to see children for candid shots when they are having fun. Can't make my mind up about the shadow across the face though, only a very minor niggle/distraction.

So what did you produce with your spuds, mash/chips/roasts/hash browns :D

I quite like that shot Lee, I too went for spuds, must be a North Yorkshire thing.

Like the composition and its nice and sharp and its nicely light.

Would have been aided by a better grassy area and not one with mud patches but overall a pretty solid shot.

Lee it works well... it's on theme, well composed, well lit and sharp, the spuds are also in an interesting basket.

I have been directed to your potatoes and indeed they were right you have got lower to the ground than I did and it works, very nice photo. I didn't want to get my knees wet!

Many thanks for the positive feedback from everyone. I still think it's a pretty awful shot, but that's probably because it's not the shot I set out to get. The other telling sign was my better half peeing herself with laughter when I returned home after an hour and showed her the result of my trip. :bang:

I have been directed to your potatoes and indeed they were right you have got lower to the ground than I did and it works, very nice photo. I didn't want to get my knees wet!

Thanks Molly... I shall track down yours for a look. One of the things I learnt on here quite quickly was that you need to be prepared to get down and dirty. Lay on the floor... stand in streams... get upto your knees in mud... risk camera and kit with waves and sinking sand...

IMHO, it's worth it, if it gets you a better shot. :)

Thanks Molly... I shall track down yours for a look. One of the things I learnt on here quite quickly was that you need to be prepared to get down and dirty. Lay on the floor... stand in streams... get upto your knees in mud... risk camera and kit with waves and sinking sand...

IMHO, it's worth it, if it gets you a better shot. :)

I agree. There are lots of things I get down low for. I use a pair of waterproof trousers and I invested in a right angle viewfinder so that I don't get my hair in the mud!

Jenny

Going to agree with Nick. It's a really nicely composed image in all aspects. Couldn't find fault if I had too.

Ok, so I'm running late again and my link to 'Quad' is a little tenuous to say the least. It was my fourth time shooting as a second on Friday. My 'quad' wedding if you like. :coat:

Anyways, here's a detail shot. You get to do lotsa detail stuff being a second. Not particularly interesting or inspirational, but nicely lit and well exposed IMHO.

Week 13 - Quad

As every week, comments encouraged and this week I promise I will do my best to comment on as many as possible too.

Thanks for the comments chaps. :)

The table is actually the floor in the hotel room, and the flowers are a bridesmaid's posy. I was slightly unsure about the blue floor, but consciously 'chose' to shoot them on it. To be honest, there wasn't a lot of choice, but I thought it contrasted quite nicely with the cream and green. :D

a Lovely bouquet, not sure on the floor... it does sort of work though.. Congrats on your fourth wedding shoot Lee... it is a tenuous link... ;)

Anyways, here's a detail shot. You get to do lotsa detail stuff being a second. Not particularly interesting or inspirational, but nicely lit and well exposed IMHO.

Well I'd agree with the nicely lit and well exposed bit (y)
Maybe it's a girly thing, or maybe it's just because I don't like people shots much but it's that detail stuff from wedding shoots that I like looking at the most. And white and green bouquets are my favourite combination.

I like this a lot despite the tenuous link to the theme :p

not sure on the floor...

Seems I might be alone in thinking it worked. I'll let you know if I get any feedback from the couple. :D

I like this a lot despite the tenuous link to the theme

Cheers Sarah. Let's move onwards to something a little more 'on theme'...

Another shot from the wedding...

Week 14 - Shoot

As every week, comments encouraged and this week I promise I will do my best to comment on as many as possible too.

What's a little crowbar job now and again:D (this refers to quad, you posted shoot as I was commenting on the previous image)
I like the image though Lee, very sharp, lots of detail and nice contrast in the image. Good luck with catching up(y) Iain

Last edited:
Nicely on theme Lee and a really clever take on it.

Shame the flash has slightly blown the face of the man in the centre of the shot.

Like it!

Let's move onwards to something a little more 'on theme'...

Another shot from the wedding...

Well there's certainly lots of shooting going on there. (y)
It's an interesting shot and not your typical wedding picture (which is a good thing IMO)

I particularly like that burst of flash that you've managed to catch and the way that it's illuminating the side of the guy's face.

On the downside, I keep getting drawn to the woman at the front in the dark dress and the crop right across her ankles.
It just looks a bit awkward.
Would have been great if you could have got her feet in frame, but in the absence of that, maybe a bit more cropped off the bottom :thinking:

I love your quad shot, Lee. I really like the blue floor, too. Am I the only one?

But, it is a fairly obscure fit to the theme.

Shoot, is a really interesting shot. Definitely plenty of shooting and a really busy shot. The only thing that concerns me is the guy's face that is blown by the flash.

Jenny

very sharp, lots of detail and nice contrast

good take on the theme

Thanks for looking guys, and many thanks for the feedback. I will get around to commenting on yours too shortly. Been another busy week for me though.

Shame the flash has slightly blown the face of the man in the centre of the shot

Cheers Dan, that's actually one of the things I really like about the shot though and I took a few of the 'group' hoping to catch a nice flash fire in a pleasing position within the frame.

I particularly like that burst of flash that you've managed to catch

Thankyou. (y)

On the downside, I keep getting drawn to the woman at the front in the dark dress and the crop right across her ankles

Arse! I hadn't really seen that as a problem until you mentioned it. Unfortunately the composition is straight from the camera as shot, so I can't change it.

The only thing that concerns me is the guy's face that is blown by the flash

Seems a popular thought Jenny. I think I should have expected it being so obvious and so technically 'wrong'.

Looks like a very posh press pit

I like the idea of that! :LOL:

Lee,

Just had a look at Quad & Shoot.......

Love em both.......... excellent timing on Shoot, just as the flash goes off from the girl in the middle. Top conversion to B&W as well - has maximum white and maximum black (see I do listen occasionally in my evening class.)

What did you do to convert to B&W? - as looks so spot on. (y)

(I normally, boost the reds, then desaturate, then fiddle with brightness contast - but struggle to get something so B&W!!! (if you know what I mean!))

Please don't say ISO 400 with a B&W film camera, as I have already offended most of the film community these last couple of days! :shrug:

What did you do to convert to B&W?

Many thanks for the kind comments. The file is basically as shot, then just opened in PS CS4 and used the B&W conversion tool thingymabob. Settings were...

Reds 100
Yellows 80
Greens -10
Cyans -50
Blues 0
Magentas 120

I can't decide if I like the blown face or not. It kinda adds something to the shot, Lee. Makes it a little fantasy. Okay, I'm going to go ahead and say (y)

Quad - CROWBAR :police:.................nice shot.....:coat:

Shoot - I think this works really well with the captured flash, as to the bright face/arm I don't think it adds to the shot but also it doen't take anything away.

(y)

Catching up, catching up...

Produce: It's not that crap. Nice composition, good colour, nice HDR-ish sharpness and contrast. It would make a good product shot.

Quad: Again, nice composition, colour, sharpness and I'm sure the bride was pleased.

Shoot is much better in terms of interestingness and catching the flash going off was either unlucky (as it blew the follically challenged chap's head) or cool as you don't see many of those these days.

Waiting on Single... :)

Ian.

I quite like this one Lee.

I always think it looks amusing when you have these mass gatherings of P&S togs.

Black and white works well.

A few weeks to catch up on now though ;)

Andy

Back