68lbs Does The 52 Thing! Week 14 - Shoot (back upto date)

Name
April 2008
Edit My Images
No
Last edited:
Well, so much for week one being an easy one. I found the theme a little broad, so to ease myself (and anyone who's viewing) in gently I've opted for a shot that I think reflects my style and where I am at the moment in my photography, and my love of the 50mm f/1.4 and available light.

Week 1 - Curved

As every week, comments encouraged and I will do my best to comment on as many as possible too.

Last edited:
Love the use of light there!! also great use of dof\focal point! spot on!

good first poting, great work

Its certainly interesting and I can to some extent see how its 'you' I think thats one of the things about the 52's, I think over a year they will reflect very much a persons personality and as you say 'where they are photographically'

Look forward to seeing more Lee

Nice first contribution Lee, light and tones are spot on and loving the dof! Does the job nicely!

Love the DOF on this one and the colours although not as bright as with a flash are very rich works very well for me. (y)

Lovely image Lee. Excellent DOF and composition, and really like the warm colours

Nothing to add really, except :love: everything about this shot.

Setting a very high bar for the rest of us mortals. :D

oohh, i like lots!

really nice composition and DOF.

Well, so much for week one being an easy one. I found the theme a little broad, so to easy myself (and anyone who's viewing) in gently I've opted for a shot that I think reflects my style and where I am at the moment in my photography, and my love of the 50mm f/1.4 and available light.

Week 1 - Curved

As every week, comments encouraged and I will do my best to comment on as many as possible too.
I like that.... its hard to critise been a nooby but I genuinely like that one. I know I tend to like the more simple photos where a bit of natural contrast is shown and this is defo one of those eg the parsley.

Terran

good start there 68lbs :clap:

I would have focussed more on the parsley - but I have to admit it looks good focussed on the front of the cutter

this week is fail, you guys had 'curved' and I have yet to see any boobies or other girly bits, I wash my hands of you I really do

Really nice, love the colours and depth of field! Keep it up (y) (only 51 weeks to go now!)

Chris

Wonderful Dof and agree with majority of comments above. Only thing I can say is (I wonder) can the image be improved slightly by cropping a quarter of the image from the top (just over the right hand handle)? For me, there is too much blank space in the top and top right of this image that distracts my eye from the subject.

Although the object is so simple, the dof and the lighting make the picture interesting to look at. I would buy that magazine with this pic on the cover ;)

Well, that went down better than I expected. Hopefully the next 51 will be as well received, whilst pushing me to develop further. There's too many posts for me to quote everyone individually, but I really do appreciate the comments. To pick on just a few...

I think over a year they will reflect very much a persons personality and as you say 'where they are photographically'

I'm looking forward to sitting back in 12 months and seeing this for myself. 2009 was something of a non-descript year photographically and whilst I produced a few shots I am happy with and tried a few new things (weddings being the main one), I missed all the competitions and can't really see where the journey took me - I just fumbled about here and there.

I would have focussed more on the parsley

I felt the focus needed to be on the mezzaluna simply because of the theme. A larger DoF to include the parsley would have probably worked nicely, but I'm currently very into narrow DoF and a specular highlights, hence the wine glass sat in the background. :)

can the image be improved slightly by cropping a quarter of the image from the top

Possibly, though not IMHO for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I almost always don't crop or will crop to the standard aspect ratio. This is just a restraint I place on myself to help me get the composition right in the first instance. Secondly, I can see what you are saying, but the background plays an important role for me. It helps establish the mezzaluna and parsley in their environment, whilst the green pan in the background ties in nicely with the tones of the parsley and breaks up what would otherwise just be a plain expanse of shadow and worktop.

I have yet to see any boobies or other girly bits

Here you go! :p

good subject material for sure, like the soft lighting and depth of field.

I love this one, the light is fantastic and the dof works really well.

Good first week.

Really professional shot with lovely, natural lighting. I'd be interested to compare it to the same shot with the Parsley as the focal point, but love it as it is!

Focal point should have been in the center of the blade with parsley(?) I think.

Very nice, very warm colours and a nice mix of textures, I like the DOF as it is in the photo...

The lighting really stands out well for me, great shot :)

good start there 68lbs :clap:

I would have focussed more on the parsley - but I have to admit it looks good focussed on the front of the cutter

great shot, but i agree with this, on focussing more on the parsley

I like the focus off the parsley, just something about the way the curve changes to a corner in the focus. Gives it a slightly edgy/aggresive feel I guess.

That's a lovely shot. Expecting to see Nigella come into frame any moment :)

Nice rich and warm tones, good depth of field control and excellant exposure.

Good rendition of the first theme.

Back