68lbs Does The 52 Thing! Week 14 - Shoot (back upto date)

Excellent shot Lee.

Bender is great.

Lighting and composition is spot on (y)

I can see b&Q getting very busy over the coming weeks :cautious:

Excellent!!!

Superb image, nice touch of humour, nice p*** take of B&Q too.

Many thanks to everyone who's looked and commented so far. As ever, I'll try and get around as many of yours as I can. This week, I'm going to start at the top of the list of 52ers and only comment on those who have 'week 8' in the title.

To pick on a few comments for retort...

Nicely put together although I may have just kept one phrase

I did originally have just the one speech bubble, but it seemed a bit more balanced with both. :)

one with a hero in it as well cannot go wrongr

very creative equipment hire

Cheeky use of B+Q

Thanks guys. It's worth bearing in mind for future shoots as they have a few different styles of mesh and punched metal. (y)

I assume because you used a brolly the blackout background was done in pp?

I consider myself quite skilled in Photoshop, but just don't have the patience for lots of arduous pp work. The aim since I picked up a DSLR almost 2 years ago now, has been to develop my skills as a photographer so that I can get the shot in camera. In fact, here is the RAW simply opened and resized to 800px, then saved as jpeg. No sharpening, no nuffin!

IMG_7885.jpg

The background was about 6' away from Bender and the settings were such that ambient light was playing no part in the image. The main light was the one coming through the punched steel with the red gel, while the second head with the brolly was to the right of me about 2' from bender and was set really low, just to create a bit of soft light bringing his features out a little more and helping reduce the overall red glow. The bit of light you can see top right of the frame is our television.

excellent.. great humour, the lighting is fabulous.. perforated steel to become the new welding glass do you think?.. hmm, probably not at that price!

my daughter will love that she's a great fan of futurama :)

Very good Lee.

Cheeky with B&Q, but they've always been good for taking stuff back.

The original (RAW) did need a little sharpening, but your end result it a humorous shot that made me smile tonight.

Nice work!

Ian.

What a brrriiiiiliaaannntttttt shot!! Love it! Great idea, great lighting, great everything.
Re: B&Q, I used to be a Buyer there a while ago and it was widely recognised across the business that B&Q were, unofficially, one of the highest used "rental" company in the country. I still remember how sales of power tools and pressure washers used to go through the roof during bank holidays......only for a fair few to be returned afterwards :LOL:

Lol, made me chuckle. Love Bender. Hard to be serious about the shot simply due to the comedy, but I love the lighting through the steel surface. Awesome work, really good stuff.

Brilliant idea and very well shot Lee. The lighting has worked a treat.

Many thanks for the additional comments guys. Not so much a case of crit, as a pat on the back... for which I'm very grateful. It's reassuring to get good feedback when a shot works. :D

for me its the shot of the week.

Yay! Great stuff... thanks. (y)

Hard to be serious about the shot simply due to the comedy

Aha... so if you weren't laughing, you'd be giving me some serious crit and picking up on the fact that I'd underexposed Bender and had to increase the exposure in pp. :cautious:

Haha great shot, nice fun side to it and clever lighting too

Thanks for the further comments from everyone. I'm struggling this week though! Can't seem to focus and 'play' is such a broad theme I have a million ideas flying around and none of them are staying still long enough for me to grasp em and work out a shot! He-e-e-e-e-e-lp!

Phew... Just made it. Thought I was gonna have to kick my own arse this week! No big story with this, just decided to give the cross processing thing a go.

Week 9 - Play

As every week, comments encouraged and I will do my best to comment on as many as possible too.

I think I accidentally cross process 99% of my photo's :D

I like this image, especially the way the DOF is just enough to let you see the kids at play.

Ah so thats what cross processing is. Nice shot(I hate typing that but sometimes it is a really nice shot), you were brave using a camera in a childrens play area.

(y)

Processing fits the image well and I like the composition and angle very much. Nothing I'd change about that at all. Nicely seen and taken :clap:

Bit of catching up to do!

Mechanical: I can't add anything original to the people who got to your thread on time. It's a fun shot, well lit and well executed. Big (y) from me. :)

Play: I think this works really well. It's not the sort of shot I'd expect to see cross-processed but it gives a 'real' but unreal' effect (sorry I can't explain it better!). You know the colours are 'wrong' but they look plausible nevertheless. So another big (y) despite the reminder of the horror when you realise you've accidentally cross-processed a film. :eek:

Jean

What is cross processing? it just seems to be a yellow tinge to me. I do like the shot, but i dont like the prcessing (of course my own opinion) the angle is great and it does well at conveying the theme

THanks for the comments so far. As you can probably tell, I wasn't overly pleased with this weeks. Felt a bit like I was having to use my turd polishing skills!

I like this image, especially the way the DOF is just enough to let you see the kids at play.

you were brave using a camera in a childrens play area.

Not as brave as you'd think! The girl in pink with purple pants is my daughter, and there's a buggy and baby just out of shot to my left. The DoF was deliberately chosen because of the subject matter too. Think my shutterspeed was about 1/5000th. I would have ideally liked to have upped the ISO and got some grain too, but I didn't have any filters with me.

What is cross processing?

It's this month's competition theme! :D

As far as I am aware (and I'm no expert as my knowledge of the process is purely limited to digital replication) it's to do with processing film in the wrong chemicals. So like 35mm slide in 35mm neg chemicals. Not sure what films types and what chemicals it applies too, but someone in the know (or Google) might chirp up and help.

Just realised too... everyone else can cross process their week 10 shot for the 'chemistry' theme! (y)

Good work, Lee! The cross process adds a little other worldliness to the shot.

I like this... looks like hometime as well as playtime. I like the processing too, it does look pretty close to what you get when you drop the old negative c41 into a slide process too :LOL:

Arthur

Not got much to add Lee. Composition spot on, lighting and processing all work well. Themewise it's ticked the box. DoF is lovely.

The only really really tiny niggle would be the people above the toy's(?) head. (Purple coat and hoodie). They're a little distracting. It really is a minor thing though.

Ian.

That works nicely Lee, the DOF is spot on... and the cross process really adds to it. Thanks for the idea for this week too ;)

(y) from me too.
The composition works well and I like the focal point and DoF.

In terms of subject matter, it's not my favourite image from your 52 - but I think the cross processing has given it the lift it needs and added far more interest to it than if it had just been a straight shot.

Great shot, well captured. I find my eye scrutinising the subject and not the background, which i'd imagine to be a hard thing to achieve with such a busy backdrop. Brave too :D

Well done with this Lee (y)

I do like that Lee, good subject, as yes you were brave taking photos in the park. LOL

Cheers to everyone that's taken time to look and comment since my last posting. I really do appreciate any form of feedback. So don't worry about being brutally honest. :D

The only really really tiny niggle would be the people above the toy's(?) head

Hmm, hadn't even noticed that as a problem until you mentioned it. Guess what... now I can see nothing but those damned people!

Thanks for the idea for this week too

Glad to be of service. :D

it's not my favourite image from your 52

Nor mine, And I don't think my chemistry shot will fare much better. I am struggling for time again this week. To think I originally wanted to do a 365! :bang:

only problem i can see is the shadow, its a pity the whole foreground isnt golden

Yep, light was very strong... probably one of the nicest days we've had recently for the sun being out. As I learnt early on though, a nice day weather-wise usually means a crap day photography-wise. And vice versa!

Your mechanical shot looks great Lee, made me chuckle:LOL: Sharp and spot on lighting.

Play is not your strongest shot, but still has some good merits. Composition and the overall yellow tone work well.

Cheers, Rob

Back