70-200 f2.8 portraiture showcase thread

anyway, here are a few shots from when i had my 70-200 2.8.

5948155154_4fd006ca3a_b.jpg

5166927799_e9efbda60d_b.jpg

6222550293_aa63ebbee9_b.jpg

5187384749_477516860e_b.jpg

5215338819_6df88c345c_b.jpg

Well if those pictures don't convince people how good that lens can be then nothing ever will (y)

I've not got the 70-200 mkII but do have the the older version. I can honestly say that the only way that lens (or its replacement, should I need one) is leaving my camera bag is over my dead body. Its soooo damnably sharp with colour rendition ooozing from it.

I've used it for all sorts of shooting. Its not a natural portrait lens "according to the book", but then .. what does the book know.

oldgit said:
I've not got the 70-200 mkII but do have the the older version. I can honestly say that the only way that lens (or its replacement, should I need one) is leaving my camera bag is over my dead body. Its soooo damnably sharp with colour rendition ooozing from it.

I've used it for all sorts of shooting. Its not a natural portrait lens "according to the book", but then .. what does the book know.

You don't the 'book' Jason will tell you everything;-)

i actually found some of the comments by Jason just a little bit sad.
.....and so, just because you're a 'professional' photographer, or you've got a 'photography degree' doesn't mean anything, just like having a fine art degree doesn't make you a brilliant painter.

luckily, photography is one of those things were most people don't care about silly paper qualifications, what nonsense courses you've been on, even what gear you have.... they judge whether you are good or bad by one thing and one thing only; your work. that's what is great about photography.

anyway, here are a few shots from when i had my 70-200 2.8.

Very true :)

And that's a cracking image (y)

5187384749_477516860e_b.jpg

We only ban people as a last resort, and "short holiday's" are handed out as
a second to last resort.

Thank god for that!! I, or in fact many would have been banned years ago :bonk:

heres one I took with a 70-200 on a fun shoot:

6601876653_a556a9a843.jpg

Cannot quote the apature though :thinking:

I'm on the hunt for a Canon 80-200L, when I get that would I be allowed in this corner? Haha some absolutely fantastice images in here. Mine will likely get mostly used for action shots/sports as I use my 85 1.4 for portraits and love that, but I'm sure I'll use the 80-200 a fair bit as well :)

Last edited:
Interesting thread but some absolute guff being spoken by one member....

Anyway, here's an oldie from the depths of time that I still like, shot on my first 70-200mm, albeit the Mk1 Sigma HSM.

It was shot for editorial purposes - the feature in Advanced Carp Fishing was about young up-and-coming carper Gaz Fareham, who was making a real name for himself on classic waters and who was developing new baits for his sponsors in the process.

Gaz by Pat MacInnes, on Flickr

Last edited:
There are some fantastic shots on this thread. They're making me consider spending £600 on a lens which is nuts in my world.

Pat, can you remember how you took that shot? Was the camera on the floor? What was the lighting set up?

...Pat, can you remember how you took that shot? Was the camera on the floor? What was the lighting set up?

Shot at 70mm with me lying on the floor in all the goose poo, used tea bags and spilled bait :LOL:

There was an SB800 to camera right on a (unreliable) PT-04 trigger so not even sure the flash played a part in the exposure. I can remember setting it very low power because I didn't want the flash to dominate.

There are some fantastic shots on this thread. They're making me consider spending £600 on a lens which is nuts in my world...

It really is a great focal length to use, especially being able to shoot at f/2.8n (although it's not mandatory). What I benefit most from is that additional background blur over slower zooms, helping separate the subject from the background - for cover shots it's in valuable to lay strap lines over these out-of-focus areas :)

Last edited:
Some fab shots here!

I'd love a 70-200 but am a bit concerned about the weight...

Dragging it around all day does make your arm and wrist ache a bit but worth i!
A bit concerned even about usability as I'm petite and light. Then again I remember thinking the D90 was heavy when I was first looking at cameras and thought my friend's D700 was definitely too heavy to use at all - and now I use a D700 with 24-70 for hours with no problem. So maybe its a case of just getting used to more weight.

I really love the images from the 70-200...

I'm pretty sure this was taken on the 70-200.

5946548672_12409188ca_z.jpg

Anyway, its a great lens, possibly my favorite of the ones we currently use. nice and contrasty, sharp and quick.

i'm intending to make use of it in the studio when the chance arrives, 200mm and ND grads? Yes please.

I've had the f/4 in mind for a while, but this f/2.8 is just crazy, wish I was made of money, around my area things are pricier too... f/4 go for the price of f/2.8...

Well i was unsure what 70-200 to get,but after weeks of reading and looking at reviews the choice was made canon 70-200 f2.8 is ii arrived on thursday and not even been used yet, hopefully go nice with the 5d ii i bought 2 weeks ago.

Just read the whole thread. It is 2 for the price of 1 really :D

Sadly I have no images to contribute but it makes me want to buy one of these bad boys and also explains why they sell for such high prices on Ebay :crying:

I seen someone with one of these lenses attached to a 7D today, they look beautiful, especially with a petal on the end!

Oooh i'm getting excited now, in the process of purchasing the Sigma version from Benners on here!

A bit concerned even about usability as I'm petite and light. Then again I remember thinking the D90 was heavy when I was first looking at cameras and thought my friend's D700 was definitely too heavy to use at all - and now I use a D700 with 24-70 for hours with no problem. So maybe its a case of just getting used to more weight.

I really love the images from the 70-200...

Get yourself a Black Rapid Ladies strap, makes it soo much easier to tote a heavy camera/lens around.

.......and the Sigma is a bit lighter....not much though....

Heather

We need this thread alive, some great shots here, but starting to dry up, surprisingly
Anyone care to share?

The detail in that bird's incredible, not the one on the bench by the way :LOL:

I know this is no where near as good as most photos in this thread but its my first real attempt at a portrait, used a my Sigma and bounced a flash off the ceiling.
Hopefully below should be TJ my 3 week old Nephew :) he arrived a few weeks early and bum first, looks like he is going to be a right pain LoL

TJ1.jpg

Please feel free to tell me how to improve. :)

Red9R said:
I know this is no where near as good as most photos in this thread but its my first real attempt at a portrait, used a my Sigma and bounced a flash off the ceiling.
Hopefully below should be TJ my 3 week old Nephew :) he arrived a few weeks early and bum first, looks like he is going to be a right pain LoL

Please feel free to tell me how to improve. :)

Ian,
Not much wrong with that mate. As a personal preference I would increase the exposure slightly and maybe use a more neutral rug/blanket to lay him on, but that's just me :)
Have fun taking lots of pics of him.

BruceMo said:
The detail in that bird's incredible, not the one on the bench by the way :LOL:

:LOL: I had to go back and check the second photo in case ;)
Agree with the eagle shot though super detail.

Thanks Phil, I think we are going to see him again this weekend so I will dig out some more neutral backgrounds, I will have a play with the exposure in PSE and see what happens, I am not that confident with Photoshop yet :thinking:

No probs. There are loads of great examples of baby photography in the people and portraits section. Have a look through to get some ideas.
As far as Photoshop goes, the exposure adjustment should be a quick slider in ACR, if your shooting Raw files this is the first screen to come up in PSE if I remember correctly. Maybe wrong in this as I use Lightroom now for most editing.

Back