70-200 f2.8 portraiture showcase thread

F4.5, shot with filters in the studio, I'm really liking this look.
7427774694_a035577c0a_z.jpg

Am now really looking forward to my second hand 80-200 F2.8 AFD being delivered today. Couldn't afford a new 70-200, played with a 80-200 AFS and found it fractionally too heavy so am hoping the D version will be just what I've been dreaming about. Should knock spots of my 55-200DX that I have been using.

Get yourself a Black Rapid Ladies strap, makes it soo much easier to tote a heavy camera/lens around.

.......and the Sigma is a bit lighter....not much though....

Heather
Thanks Heather - I have the Q strap and I found it makes a bit difference with the D700/24-70 combo - have used it all day at a long wedding and it was fine.

I think I'll see if I can borrow/hire a 70-200 first to try it out for weight before taking the plunge. :)

Last edited:
A Couple Of My Favorites from the 70-200 II on a 5DII

Just a magical combination.

EmmaWatson1.jpg

TalulahRiley2.jpg

Just spent a while reading through this. Some fantastic images, I'm normally a bit of a primes-only-snob but some shots on here have won me round to zooms a bit! :D And there's a lot to be said for being able to go from 70 to 200 without swapping lenses!

As for one particular user's claim about 50mm...I realise this has already been pretty much put to bed by other users, but I couldn't resist adding a little on the subject. All lenses have aberrations and distortions to varying degrees, but it is not the focal length that distorts portraits, it is the distance from the subject. (Excluding special effect lenses, i.e. fisheyes of course). With a crop in post processing you could easily shoot a headshot with a 35mm or even 20mm if you were so inclined.

There are NO hard and fast rules in any subject or discipline, whether it is a science, an art or the peculiar mix of the two which is what makes photography so fascinating.

25685010151019476039983.jpg

By swordjo at 2012-08-14

Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 on D300, sorry about the quality as I had to pull it from Facebook.

^^ Don't like it, sorry. You've made him look thoroughly stoned with a hint of a grimace about it...

Don't hold back Matt :)

Its one of the only portraits ive got with the 70-200mm as ive not used it much since buying . Just thought i would show it :|

Don't hold back Matt :)

Its one of the only portraits ive got with the 70-200mm as ive not used it much since buying . Just thought i would show it :|

I disagree with the crit, think it shows a bit of personality and I like it.

I can take that lens off you if you don't want it........:naughty:

kris3291 said:
I disagree with the crit, think it shows a bit of personality and I like it.

I can take that lens off you if you don't want it........:naughty:

Just let me know where to send it lololol;)

Thanks for your comment the client who I sold it too liked it also ;)

Back