7d coming tomorrow

Send the whole lot back, I personally would not have even gone in to any negotiation trying to get the cost of a new shutter or trying to keep the lens.

Even saying anything about the shutter count shows that your concern is not restricted to the damage from it being dropped you are also not happy that it has been worked like a dog. The saving wasnt that great when you think about the price new and the price you have paid you can get 10% quite easily from some places when buying "a kit" or combination of items I think the 10-22 is included in canons current cashback at the moment.

He has offered you a refund so you should be taking it, send it back RMSD He took your money and sent the camera so other than his streaching of the truth he is trusted. get your money back and stop asking him questions before you annoy him and he starts to say no.

This thread goes round in circles, almost everyone is offering the same good advice. Ebay wont help because of the way you did the deal, go collect your refund or get your mates to do the exchange, you're giving him to many options.

Last edited:
This thread goes round in circles, almost everyone is offering the same good advice. Ebay wont help because of the way you did the deal, go fetch it or get your mates to fetch it, you're giving him to many options.

Fetch it? Is he a photographer or a border collie? :LOL:

Send the whole lot back

send it back RMSD

The above seems to be the advice from quite a few of us now, though I would recommend delivery in person by the OP or his London friends as a way of ensuring cash is received in exchange for the goods.

I'm not sure why the OP seems to be so resistant to these repeated suggestions and why he wants to have some kind of ongoing relationship with a vendor who appears to be so unreliable...

the guy should travel the 160 miles with my money and collect his battered camera imo lol

The above seems to be the advice from quite a few of us now, though I would recommend delivery in person by the OP or his London friends as a way of ensuring cash is received in exchange for the goods.

I'm not sure why the OP seems to be so resistant to these repeated suggestions and why he wants to have some kind of ongoing relationship with a vendor who appears to be so unreliable...
Don't want a relationship with the vendor just be very diplomatic at this time

Don't want a relationship with the vendor just be very diplomatic at this time

You want to buy the lens.

You want to keep the body if he provides a refund for the shutter.

If you keep anything, you have an ongoing relationship in that if anything else goes wrong you'll need to go back to him.

I think everyone here is right. I think it's best to send the lot back and get a full refund, and start from scratch getting a camera somewhere else.

I sincerely hope you do get your money back. I'm still chasing a 1K debt from someone who scammed me over an iMac 4 years ago so I know all too well what it's like to be in your position- I sent a cheque stupidly, being my usual trusting self. Never saw the goods. He got caught and sentenced, but wasn't made to pay compensation, so going through courts now to try and get it back. Can't find his current address though as he gave the Police a false one after the hearing, so if anyone knows a Stuart Haines in Eastleigh..... at least you do have contact and he seems like he's prepared to do the right thing.

Don't be put off eBay though, as there ARE some very good and trustworthy sellers out there. If I ever make any big purchases on eBay now though, I never ask to opt out of auctions to be covered by eBay, always use Paypal, and check through the feedback statuses as a SELLER. Some scam sellers will buy things to build up good feedback.

Flash In The Pan said:
That's totally incorrect. Ebay's terms and conditions explicitly forbid dealing outwith in this manner, both parties involved risk having their accounts terminated if caught.

Also, it's the SELLER that pays the fees on Ebay, not the buyer.......

My mistake, I mean the seller, obviously.

You want to buy the lens.

You want to keep the body if he provides a refund for the shutter.

If you keep anything, you have an ongoing relationship in that if anything else goes wrong you'll need to go back to him.
I am trying to limit my loses any amount of money I can get back is better than none
latest update
seller has agreed to buy the body and grip back for £660 and refund via paypal
so Wednesday I will be minus a camera and 660 better off
or minus a camera and 660 worse off
unfortunately all transaction in the world rely on trust
I have had no problems before using ebay regarding camera and lens purchases
Most items I collect in person and pay cash on collection this however was a bit far
I bought 7 range rovers off ebay for my collection and obviously RMSD wasn't an option :LOL:

I am trying to limit my loses any amount of money I can get back is better than none

This makes sense, but he's offered all your money back!

It's your decision, obviously, but I would let my freinds deliver/ collect money & you get away clean. Then start again.

I want the 10-22 lens though
and the 350 effectively I have paid for it is cheap,subject to me getting my 660 refund on the camera and grip
the 10-20 looked to be around a 450 lens + delivery used or from a grey importer
Any way I have mow placed a wanted add for a 7d on this forum lets see how that goes
it may be another epic saga knowing my luck

Last edited:
I am still curious as to why my offer of acting as a go between for the guarantee put you off making me an increased offer, maybe you have not worded that correctly but curious I still am :thinking:

In your previous way of thinking it was not under guarantee so therefore me offering to do that was a benefit ..no?

As an aside I am fairly sure that the Canon warranty is transferable as long as you have the original receipt. That is what I was told by my local retailer, Nikon and Sigma warranties aren't transferable but Canon ones are.

latest update
seller has agreed to buy the body and grip back for £660 and refund via paypal
so Wednesday I will be minus a camera and 660 better off
or minus a camera and 660 worse off
unfortunately all transaction in the world rely on trust
I have had no problems before using ebay regarding camera and lens purchases
Most items I collect in person and pay cash on collection this however was a bit far
I bought 7 range rovers off ebay for my collection and obviously RMSD wasn't an option :LOL:

I wish you luck with this but really believe you should have followed the advice in this thread.

You opened yourself up to be screwed over originally and seemingly were, and you have done again, as you have more reason than not to believe this guy is dishonest.

Let's just hope he does send you the money but sending a mate round for a cash in hand refund would have been by far the safest route to go, even if you were keeping the 10-22mm.

Last edited:
I can always send my friends to collect the cash if the refund via paypal doesn't happen
The mistake I made was not collecting the item in person but as I said all transactions are based on trust no matter where or whom you purchase from
Any way it's given me something to have a good moan about over the bank holiday week end lol
if I get the refund I have had 3 days of free 7d hire and now know I want one

Last edited:
I can always send my friends to collect the cash if the refund via paypal doesn't happen
The mistake I made was not collecting the item in person but as I said all transactions are based on trust no matter where or whom you purchase from
Any way it's given me something to have a good moan about over the bank holiday week end lol
if I get the refund I have had 3 days of free 7d hire and now know I want one

what i cant understand is if you paid by paypal (hopefully not gift) why dont you file a dispute? that way you can request to return goods (ALL!) and once you've sent it upload tracking number and if he doesnt refund paypal will check the tracking number and automatically refund you, jobs a gooden! that way theres no need to trust him, which I'd find difficult to do. If you paid by PPG id go nock on his door and ask for my cash back for the whole lot, a few months down the line you may have issues with the lens and regret it as you've got no come back.

Spending more than £400 you need some sort of backup/warranty
buying an old 40D similar for a few hundred pounds is a punt, if it goes wrong, ok its bad but youve only lost a few hundred.

You want to know where they live also, the closer the better so that if it does go wrong you can go to thier house, also people who live closer are less liklier to rip you off through fear of reprisals.

I'm sure many people would agree that you should just go collect your money back, dont be affraid either, he's in the wrong not you! i think its more than reasonable to expect a full refund from him. :bang:

P.s Apologies if ive repeated of missed anything further back in this looong thread.

pay pal disputes tend to want you to resolve the issue first between yourselves as far as I am aware and will therefore take a lot longer
I didn't by it through ebay seller negotiation off ebay
we'll have to see what happens Wednesday
friend has offered to collect the refund if it isn't forth coming
seller has offered too refund the 660 as soon as the item arrives back

i've had a fair few disputes through paypal.
As long as you are clear and reasonable it will go smoothly.
Paypal do want you to resolve it between yourself and the seller but thats just a standard thing, they dont have the resources for every claim.
one thing to note, ebay and paypal are very separate, you dont have to mention you bought it off ebay and your still covered. This is so frustrating, at least if you had it documented on paypal in the dispute :-
1. item received not as described
2. returning item to seller as agreed for refund of XX.XX
3. tracking number AB1234 5678 901GB

I hope it all goes well, if it doesnt i dont think it would be wise to post it publically on the forum as you'll get allot of told you so's.

GOOD LUCK!

perhaps that may explain his offers of a refund and his amicability so far
mind you the fact still remains that he tried to stitch me in the first place
canon should have the shutter actuations on the display like a car shows mileage
who in their right mind wants a 116k+ 7d clearly he didn't

Paypal very much favour the buyer when it comes to disputes and the funds will be frozen in his account almost as soon as you raise a dispute until it is solved.

Yes. They favour the buyer.

An ex GF of mine is an internet seller and very honest she is too... but nasty people raise bogus disputes and make ebay a nightmare.

So at a rough estimate you have had approx 20 people say read and go for full refund.

Or friend and full refund.

Yet you ignore the sensible advice? The camera is a dog. Why accept that? IMO shifting it on will be hard.

His ebay feedback seems more of a dealer. I would expect a full time pro to have more than a 7d for first body.

Why ask for advice and then repeatedly ignore it?

A quick bit of research brings up the previous user/owner's name and who he works for. It would be interesting to know if they tally with those of the seller.....

Last edited:
Refund received today as per our agreement
I may not have a 7D but I have a 10-22 lens

I'll be the first but not the last to say... consider yourself lucky (overall).

Enjoy the lens (y)

please tell...

you returned the camera and kept the 10-20 or 10-22 whatever it is (I don't do canon) ...

Tell us the total amount of refund you got...

paid 1010 for canon 7d +genuine grip , 2 gen batteries all original boxes
+ 10-22mm canon lens unboxed
returned the canon 7d and grip for a negotiated refund of 660
resulting in me owning a 10-22 mm lens for 350 delivered
so not a bad result as it is a 450-500 lens used
I also had 3 days of free 7d hire lol

Last edited:
phew!
that was a bit of a rollercoaster really glad you got the result you wanted
:clap::clap:

seemed more of a roller coaster ride for you lot :LOL:
I was quite chilled and utilised my masterful negotiating techniques :LOL:
had the 7d done the 30k miles he had suggested I would have kept it all even with the drop marks at 1010 for the lot
No way did I want or would I buy a 7d that had done 116k miles
bought a galaxy note from panamoz as a bit of a test order if that arrives safely and all duties paid for the price I paid panamoz, as their site suggests, I will order a new 7d from them at the 789 delivered they have quoted with a BT payment

Last edited:
Rebel t3i said:
seemed more of a roller coaster ride for you lot :LOL:
I was quite chilled and utilised my masterful negotiating techniques :LOL:
had the 7d done the 30k miles he had suggested I would have kept it all even with the drop marks at 1010 for the lot
No way did I want or would I buy a 7d that had done 116k miles
bought a galaxy note from panamoz as a bit of a test order if that arrives safely and all duties paid for the price I paid panamoz, as their site suggests, I will order a new 7d from them at the 789 delivered they have quoted with a BT payment

If I had your luck I'd pay that wee bit extra and use a credit card, the protection might come in handy :naughty:

Nice result,but i would be a bit more carful next time :)
The only thing I could do next time is collect in person take my lap top and do a shutter count before payment
here's the tracking info from dhl for my galaxy note test order from panamoz looking good so far ordered late Monday evening so effectively Tuesday uk time

Friday, May 11, 2012 Location Time Pieces
6 Departed Facility in HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 03:53

5 Processed at HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 03:42

4 Arrived at Sort Facility HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 01:07

Thursday, May 10, 2012 Location Time Pieces
3 Departed Facility in HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 23:44

2 Processed at HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 23:43

1 Shipment picked up HONG KONG - HONG KONG 20:45

Last edited:
Over the years i have build,a good relationship with my local camera shop,i may not get the very best price on things compared,to say shopping online,but they do look after me.

:)

Over the years i have build,a good relationship with my local camera shop,i may not get the very best price on things compared,to say shopping online,but they do look after me.

What are those? :LOL:

All we have is Jessops and Jacobs. God knows how there still about.

I went into mine the other day and the bag I got from Amazon for £52 was £145....

my galaxy note is in the uk now according to dhl tracking oooooh it's exciting new toy new toy lol

Track DHL Express Shipments
DHL’s online tracking is the fastest way to find out where your shipment is. No need to call Customer Service when we can offer you real-time details of your shipment’s progress as it speeds through the DHL Network on the way to its destination.
Result Summary
Waybill: 774800**** Arrived at Sort Facility EAST MIDLANDS - UK Sign up for shipment notificationsExternal Link / New Window
Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 03:16
Origin Service Area: HONG KONG - KWUN TONG - HONG KONG
Destination Service Area: BIRMINGHAM - STOKE-ON-TRENT - UK

Saturday, May 12, 2012 Location Time Pieces
11 Arrived at Sort Facility EAST MIDLANDS - UK EAST MIDLANDS - UK 03:16

10 Clearance processing complete at EAST MIDLANDS - UK EAST MIDLANDS - UK 01:22

9 Departed Facility in LEIPZIG - GERMANY LEIPZIG - GERMANY 02:12

Friday, May 11, 2012 Location Time Pieces
8 Processed at LEIPZIG - GERMANY LEIPZIG - GERMANY 21:48

7 Arrived at Sort Facility LEIPZIG - GERMANY LEIPZIG - GERMANY 21:38

6 Departed Facility in HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 03:53

5 Processed at HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 03:42