A big film scanner thread

Edit My Images
Yes
Those settings look like they should be ok. This is what I see when scanning negatives (albeit B&W):

View attachment 299519

This page may be of use if you're having problems:

I've found 3200 dpi seems to be the sweet spot before interpolation gets in the way on my V600, which I think is pretty much the same as the V550, so perhaps see if it looks any better than 2400 dpi you're using, Nige?

Last edited:
Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
Yes
What size of film are you trying to scan Gareth? Your other thread talks about 120 film from your Bronica ETRS, but it looks like that 3590 scanner only scans 35mm?
Yes, I think this is my issue with the black preview. I am using the flatbed to scan the 120 negs and when I choose the film loader then it knocks off scanning from the document area and then trying to scan from the 35mm film loader area hence why it is so black.

So, I can scan the negs in from the flat bed area only. I need to see if there is software to convert this scan or maybe look at some point to update the scanner.

Edit My Images
Yes
To be honest, I think you would be better with something like an Epson V600 if there are any good deals about on Black Friday week for a new one?

excalibur2

My F4's Broken...
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
....a thought:- with brexit and a trade deal with Japan and if the £ rises then maybe the V600 would be cheaper in the new year. Mind you if true, it's back to "I wanna use it now not wait for months to get it maybe about £20-30 cheaper" ;)

OP
ChrisR

ChrisR

I'm a well known grump...
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
...So, I can scan the negs in from the flat bed area only. I need to see if there is software to convert this scan or maybe look at some point to update the scanner.
Can't comment on your other problems, but there are some posts on here about software to invert colour images, like ColorPerfect, Grain2Pixel (both via PS) and Negative Lab Pro (via LR). It is NOT as simple as clicking Invert in Photoshop, as (among other things) there is the orange mask to take into consideration. @Kevin Allan has a blog post comparing ColorPerfect and G2P, and someone on here (either @FishyFish or @Mr Badger ?) has a thread on NLP, I think.

In either case you'd be better starting from a linear positive scan saved as a 16-bit TIFF...

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
Yes
Quick update. Had a look on FB marketplace and someone local has Epson Perfection 4490 for sale for £30. Looked online and it was for sale around the same time as the V500 and identical bar it not being an LED light so taken the punt and collect it later on. Selling my old one one then so it'll barely cost me nothing to upgrade.

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
Yes
First scan and I'm in business! The holder can scan two 120 negs at once so it's going to be a slow process but I may look to buy the holder and see if it can be cut to scan more? There are some lines in the sky that are very noticeable.

I had the scanner set to:
Image type: 24 bit colour
Resolution 1200 dpi
Unsharp Mask ticked
Digital ICE Technology ticked with the mode set to 'Quality'

Attachments

Edit My Images
Yes
First scan and I'm in business! The holder can scan two 120 negs at once so it's going to be a slow process but I may look to buy the holder and see if it can be cut to scan more? There are some lines in the sky that are very noticeable.

I had the scanner set to:
Image type: 24 bit colour
Resolution 1200 dpi
Unsharp Mask ticked
Digital ICE Technology ticked with the mode set to 'Quality'
If it will do it, then try 48 bit colour, and turn off the ICE as I suspect ICE might be causing the banding? As for DPI, it's usually a case of taking some comparison scans and looking at the detail in about 3 places on the scanned photo zoomed in. I find my V600 scans best at 3200 dpi, anything less and I can see quality fall off, anything more then I can see sharpness and detail fall off due to interpolation. So a bit of experimentation is required to find the 'sweet spot'.

Last edited: