A big film scanner thread

An earlier post by me pointed to an article by Kevin Allan that has been re-hosted, see above for further articles that are also interesting...

Thanks Chris, the URL of that post is now

or you can see three blog posts on the subject with this link:

Last edited:
Thanks Chris, the URL of that post is now

or you can see three blog posts on the subject with this link:

Thanks Kevin, very interesting posts.

Nikon F80
Nikkor 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 D
Fujifilm Superia 400 E-Xtra (Lab developed. Home scanned and converted with Negative Lab Pro)

Thatch by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

The Hart Inn by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr
Hi Nige @FishyFish, I've watched your posts on the other thread with interest, and have just picked this recent one as an example. As I understand it, you scanned the negatives rather than using a camera, and then used Negative Lab Pro. I was wondering, in the context of this thread on "scanning", to what extent the colours are the defaults, or were adjusted by you, either in NLP or some other post-processing program? (The colours mostly look very good to my eye, although the thatch seems like a slightly different colour than around here.)

Hi Nige @FishyFish, I've watched your posts on the other thread with interest, and have just picked this recent one as an example. As I understand it, you scanned the negatives rather than using a camera, and then used Negative Lab Pro. I was wondering, in the context of this thread on "scanning", to what extent the colours are the defaults, or were adjusted by you, either in NLP or some other post-processing program? (The colours mostly look very good to my eye, although the thatch seems like a slightly different colour than around here.)

Hi Chris,

NLP has a variety of settings that can be adjusted as part of the process, from lab scanner emulations, through to colour profiles, as well as the usual brightness / contrast / lights / darks type controls. It's perfectly possible to produce good results using just these controls, but I also tend to add some further tweaks in Lightroom (although I do these to the NLP output TIFF file, rather than the original raw scan).

This shows the NLP settings I used for this particular photo:
nlp_1.JPG

And these are my Lightroom tweaks applied to the output TIFF file. I'm not an expert with NLP so it's perfectly possible that I might be able to achieve these things there without making the adjustments in Lightroom. At the end of the day though, it's just about getting a final result I'm happy with.
nlp_2.JPG

Hey there,
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I intend to invest in a new scanner, only for scanning 35mm. Never scanned before and have very little experience in image processing.
I've been looking forward to this model: Reflecta CrystalScan 7200 paired with the Software Silverfast Ai Studio.
However, apart from the website «ScanDig», that appears to have massive information regarding scanners, I couldn't find any more reviews for this particular scanner. They say the software makes a huge difference regarding the final result, and my interest in the Silverfast Ai Studio comes mainly from the IT8 colour calibration and multi-exposure features. Don't know what Vuescan has to offer, but I see here people mainly use it. The scanner seems a bit old – not sure if it's already obsolete, but it seems better (again quoting «ScanDig») than the newer Plustek 8100/8200 series.
So, in resume, I'd like to ask if anyone here has any experience either with the software or the scanner; if you could give me some feedback prior to make a decision; or if you have any better suggestion regarding film scanning. My budget goes around €500 - Europe.

Home scanners will give VG results for 35mm but are much better with larger negs, so no problem for most people as if you have a winning shot/shots would have the neg high scanned by a pro machine when you have your negs developed. With that in mind many members here like the Epson V500/600. As for Silverfast, to me it's unfriendly and a steep learning curve and never got around to test to see if better than Epson's own sofware or Viewscan.

Hey there,
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I intend to invest in a new scanner, only for scanning 35mm. Never scanned before and have very little experience in image processing.
I've been looking forward to this model: Reflecta CrystalScan 7200 paired with the Software Silverfast Ai Studio.
However, apart from the website «ScanDig», that appears to have massive information regarding scanners, I couldn't find any more reviews for this particular scanner. They say the software makes a huge difference regarding the final result, and my interest in the Silverfast Ai Studio comes mainly from the IT8 colour calibration and multi-exposure features. Don't know what Vuescan has to offer, but I see here people mainly use it. The scanner seems a bit old – not sure if it's already obsolete, but it seems better (again quoting «ScanDig») than the newer Plustek 8100/8200 series.
So, in resume, I'd like to ask if anyone here has any experience either with the software or the scanner; if you could give me some feedback prior to make a decision; or if you have any better suggestion regarding film scanning. My budget goes around €500 - Europe.
I started my large retroscan project with a Plustek 7500i and SilverFast SE Plus (V6). I found the software a nightmare to use (the later interface is apparently much improved), but it gave me some very good results. The software stopped working on a MacOS upgrade, and I bought a copy of Vuescan Pro, which came (at the time *) with indefinite future upgrades, which I'm still getting. When I got an Epson V500, that worked with Vuescan Pro at no extra cost. I don't think I get quite such nice results from Vuescan as I did with SF, specially for colour negative (which I now get scanned when the film is devved, by Filmdev). But I wouldn't go back to SF now; I know what I'm doing with VS Pro!

Vuescan Pro does have the ability to do IT8 colour calibration, and I have used that. I'm not sure I understand all the ins and outs of the IT8 calibration, though I have used it. I believe generally it's applicable to reversal film (transparency/slide). I don't think I noticed very significant improvements with IT8, but there is an ancient thread on here about it, which I might reference for you, later. It ought to be mentioned in this thread, definitely.

* Now with Vuescan you have the option to buy or pay monthly. To buy VS Pro (needed for film scanners) is £89.95, and gives you free upgrades for 1 year, but you can continue using indefinitely. If it stops working, eg because the OS changes etc, you have to buy a new copy. Alternatively, you can rent at... £15.95 a month (!!!), which gets you free upgrades, but VS Pro stops working when you stop paying.

I have no experience with the particular scanner you mentioned, although I think I contemplated buying it (without that SF version, that definitely ups the price), when I though my Plustek was giving up the ghost. Others may come along later with more relevant comments about it. But I wouldn't hesitate to buy the scanner myself.

Hey there,

You can see some example scans from the Reflecta Crystalscan 7200 on Flickr - most of them seem to be from the same photographer though and not all of them are in sharp focus(!).

I have a Plustek 8100 which does a great job of 135 images. I use Silverfast for B&W negatives, but Vuescan for slides and to scan colour negatives (which I then convert using Negative Lab Pro).

... I use Silverfast for B&W negatives, but Vuescan for slides and to scan colour negatives (which I then convert using Negative Lab Pro).
Which version of SilverFast, Nige?

Vuescan Pro does have the ability to do IT8 colour calibration, and I have used that. I'm not sure I understand all the ins and outs of the IT8 calibration, though I have used it. I believe generally it's applicable to reversal film (transparency/slide). I don't think I noticed very significant improvements with IT8, but there is an ancient thread on here about it, which I might reference for you, later. It ought to be mentioned in this thread, definitely.

So, I found two old threads on here that relate to IT8 profiling. The first, which introduced me to the topic, was started by Sam: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/it8-7-profiling-before-and-after.435085/#post-5840278

The second related to some practical problems in actually doing it, started by Rob: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/this-cant-be-that-hard-it8-profiles.533661/

I'll add these links into section 7.4 above...

Last edited:
Thanks for all the insight! Really helpful.
I pretty much understand (and mostly agree) with Brian's answer. I would have more time and when I got the «winning photo», I could go to a lab to get a higher resolution scan. But considering the price difference between the Epson V600 and the Reflecta CrystalScan 7200 (based on ScanDig shop), and the image quality I get from those, I'm more inclined on buying the latter.
That being said, I think I've opted to buy the CrystalScan 7200 without the SilverFast Software, and buy VueScan instead – seems like a cheaper option, more versatile, easier to learn, and more long-lasting (meaning that if I buy another scanner I don't have to purchase other licence). Since VueScan also has the ability to do the IT8 calibration, I'll be investing in the target anyway – hoping it saves me some time in post-edit.

I pretty much understand (and mostly agree) with Brian's answer. I would have more time and when I got the «winning photo», I could go to a lab to get a higher resolution scan. But considering the price difference between the Epson V600 and the Reflecta CrystalScan 7200 (based on ScanDig shop), and the image quality I get from those, I'm more inclined on buying the latter.
That being said, I think I've opted to buy the CrystalScan 7200 without the SilverFast Software, and buy VueScan instead – seems like a cheaper option, more versatile, easier to learn, and more long-lasting (meaning that if I buy another scanner I don't have to purchase other licence). Since VueScan also has the ability to do the IT8 calibration, I'll be investing in the target anyway – hoping it saves me some time in post-edit.
Had a wow in classified here a guy gave a freebie........... a Epson V600 o_O

Just a thought:- What about a S/H Epson V700 to V850? Silverfast is given free with it and the seller would probably give you the DVD. That's how I got my copy when I bought a S/H Epson V750 pro. It's a great scanner and nearly as good as the common pro scanner M/C used in labs in tests, scans many 35mm negs at a time etc etc The only con is it is quite large.

What about a S/H Epson V700 to V850?
Well, I bet those scanners are great, but they are certainly far beyond my budget. I think I made a good choice, given the money I was willing to spend – already ordered.
Time is not that much of an issue, since I really don't have a big old collection of film to scan, and will only scan fresh rolls as I shoot them.

Well, I bet those scanners are great, but they are certainly far beyond my budget. I think I made a good choice, given the money I was willing to spend – already ordered.
Time is not that much of an issue, since I really don't have a big old collection of film to scan, and will only scan fresh rolls as I shoot them.
Well I've only ever had a low scan for films dev at the lab as if I ever get a shot that's any good can always scan it with the V750. For me high scans at the lab are a waste of money as the difference between low and high scan is they cram in more pixels per square millimetres and not about getting more detail (resolution) off the neg, and if my V750 can get near to a common pro m/c for getting the detail off the neg, I can cram as many pixels per sq millimetre as I want for say a large print.

Would really like to hear your experience, particularly at first and then perhaps after a while when you get your feet properly under the scanning table!

I have an Epson V550. It does a sterling job with medium format but I find its results on 35mm lacking.

For 35mm, I use a few old dedicated film scanners. I have a Plustek 7500i and a Minolta Scan Dual III. The results I (and therefore, everyone ;)) can get from these 100-200£ devices are IME several orders of magnitude better than what I can get with my V550.

For 35mm, I think a cheap-ish used or new dedicated film scanner makes a lot of sense. I've only read good things about those Reflecta: if my Plustek goes my next purchase will be a Proscan 10T

I've just spent the whole night scanning my first roll. Don't know if I did it the right way, or if there's a better workflow.

First I lost too much time trying to perform the IT8 color calibration only to not be able to do it and giving up on it. Some places said that that calibration was only really important for slides so I dumped that step for now, since I wanted to scan my recently shot Portra 160 stock. After that, I lost quite some more time experimenting the difference between doing «1 pass scan» and «16 pass scan», fiddling with the color correction tab and setting different dpi's. Here's one of my first scans, straight from Vuescan:
saidbouhamara_01.jpg

The first thing I noticed was that the Vuescan color correction was giving me not quite the colors I wanted, with some clipping exposure values. Maybe this first photo was really not the best to start with – a low light situation shot handheld, with a very slow shutter speed, allowing the subject to be blurred, etc., etc. Yet, I was hoping for better results. I tried once more changing the dpi; number of scan passes, and so on. Lost time, really :).
Since I couldn't manage to get the settings right to the point I got the tones I wanted, I decided to do most of color correction in post processing. So what I wanted was for Vuescan to do the less corrections it could make, and give me some good data to then treat in post.

So, so after some fiddling and googling I ended up stabilizing at this workflow:
-scanning in TIFF at 2400 dpi
-selecting «none» in color balance
-setting Curve low and Curve high (in the color tab) to 0.001
-doing only one pass scan.
I also made sure to select the correct film stock in the color tab, but since I choose «none», I'm not sure if that had any impact in the image treatment.

Then I did all the post processing in Darktable.
Here's how it went with the same above scan:
001_01.jpgstraight from Vuescan with the above settings.
001.jpgafter processing the image in Darktable.

(... and it's wonderful. It's like this you spot your dumb mistakes haha. As I'm writing, now I thing the first one retains the colors better than this last one, even though it's grainier and clipping a bit... but anyway, that's how we learn right... let's move on to some better photos).

I'm a beginner to all of this, so I also don't really use Darktable in its full potential - all a discovering process.
Here's another example, straight from vuescan, with the above settings, before and after processing it in Darktable:
019_01.jpg
straight from Vuescan. Very dark and with a shift to greenish and blueish tones (probably from the light source of the scanner?)
019.jpg
After some basic fiddling around in Darktable.

Besides pushing the histogram of the image to more proper exposure values, I found that the most important step in achieving the tones/colors I was looking for (the ones I believe have seen through the lens) was changing the white balance – most of the times to hotter values, because of this greenish/blueish shift. That was the way I went through all the roll. I just did not use anymore Vuescan color correction anymore, but with the guitarist comparison in mind, maybe I should have. But that's how it went. It ended up consuming all the night and morning and here I am starving for some lunch. Maybe I'll have a try with Vuescan color correction with this better photographs to see what I like the best...

I'm not sure if anyone here uses Darktable, but I ended up discovering about «negadoctor» which is a kind of «processing scanned negatives module». Not sure if that handles color correction better (or more according to my taste). Maybe I will also test it somewhen – I think I had to scan the roll again, since it also does the color reversal to positive.
Here's one final example of pre and after Darktable:
023_01.jpg023.jpg

Maybe I'm doing this the hard way; maybe there's a smarter way to color correct. I appreciate all the help/feedback you can give me.

I assume you physically rescanned each time with different settings? If so, you can save some time and effort with Vuescan's ability to save the raw scans.

When I first started scanning, I was using 5x4 and on the computer I then had, each scan took 4 hours. NOT a typo. Four hours. This made it impractical to adjust simple settings, and was the reason I ditched Silverfast and EpsonScan for Vuescan. Reprocessing with altered settings then became quick and easy to do.

Apologies if you're already doing this.

@Sap_ateira It's really good you're experimenting like this; it's definitely how to learn what works best for you. I'd second Stephen's suggestion of scanning to raw (I think you'll find it in Vuescan's Output tab), as it allows you to scan once and then "re-scan" from that Raw file, with different settings. Should speed up your experimentation no end.

Someone on here (I think it's Nige @FishyFish ) does a positive scan from his negatives (sounds counter-intuitive!), and then does his colour conversion using Negative Lab Pro via LightRoom. But I'm guessing this route isn't open to you if you're using DarkTable (I don't have LR so can't use this approach either)!

I wouldn't bother with IT8 calibration, for now. It is typically only used with slide/reversal films, and tends to do nice things like improve reds... but you can still get great-looking results without it.

You said, in passing "...straight from Vuescan. Very dark and with a shift to greenish and blueish tones (probably from the light source of the scanner?)". I'd be very surprised if the scanner light has any significant colour cast. The issue with all colour negative film is the orange substrate and the way the chemistry packs the tones into that; a process that is slightly different for every film and that needs reversing. Some people get excellent results from Vuescan with colour film, but I have always had problems, so with newly exposed film rolls, I send them to a professional lab for dev and scan (Filmdev do an excellent job on this). In the early "teens", I did a large retro-conversion project, when I was still using Silverfast 6, and IMHO the results were better than I generally get now trying to retro-scan some of the missed rolls with Vuescan.

Thanks for the feedback. Definitely will try out the RAW scan, so I only have to scan the roll once (again haha).
I think the Darktable negadoctor module would work out a bit like Nige's method. I'll probably give it a try.
Also for the sake of experimentation/feedback/information, here's the comparison between one scan with Vuescan color correction set to white balance. 000.jpg
And one done with the above method:
013.jpg

Both slightly edited in Darktable.

Thanks for the feedback. Definitely will try out the RAW scan, so I only have to scan the roll once (again haha).
I think the Darktable negadoctor module would work out a bit like Nige's method. I'll probably give it a try.
Also for the sake of experimentation/feedback/information, here's the comparison between one scan with Vuescan color correction set to white balance. View attachment 373586
And one done with the above method:
View attachment 373587

You are getting there and just for my interest copied the guitar player and cat into Photoshop and using "autocolor" and a quick click cured casts etc and to me the shots looks ok. esp the guitar player as it looks like a beam of light has lit him up.

Would you mind sharing the result Brian? I do not know how the autocolor feature works, or how would I replicate it in Darktable, though.
esp the guitar player as it looks like a beam of light has lit him up.

Here, I'm not entirely sure which one I like the most, but I think the first one shows something closer to real colours; even though the latter seems more... realistic?
I might share some more examples tonight, as I've already scanned a bunch in RAW mode (the raw pictures have a cyan tone as if they were another kind of negative or something). I also followed VueScan suggestions in locking exposure for the whole roll, and it seems promising.

Some scans started to show some vertical lines – is the sensor already dusty or something? how can I prevent this?

On the vertical lines: somewhere there's a post to the effect that the Epson scanners have a calibration area which, if it gets dirty, can lead to lines. So try cleaning the scanning area (and outside it) as a first remedy.

Would you mind sharing the result Brian? I do not know how the autocolor feature works, or how would I replicate it in Darktable, though.

Here, I'm not entirely sure which one I like the most, but I think the first one shows something closer to real colours; even though the latter seems more... realistic?

I might share some more examples tonight, as I've already scanned a bunch in RAW mode (the raw pictures have a cyan tone as if they were another kind of negative or something). I also followed VueScan suggestions in locking exposure for the whole roll, and it seems promising.

Some scans started to show some vertical lines – is the sensor already dusty or something? how can I prevent this?
Of course and do you think it is what you like to see as to me it looks good (shame about the shake)....but did try the filter camera shake but really didn't know how to use it and it confused me when while PS was adjusting the guitar shot, showed it nice and sharp then when finished didn't look much different. :rolleyes: Anyway if you can somehow get an old copy of PS it could save you some work.

e1afRgd.jpg

Yes, really shame on the shake! But shooting at this speeds handheld really is very hard... I'll surely invest in a tripod before shooting my next roll!. And probably shoot something higher in ISO (probably Cinestill 800) since I tend to be attracted to low light situations!

Anyways, I'm very interested in trying the differences between the results I can get from:
- NegativeLabPro with Lightroom
- negadoctor with Darktable
- Vuescan color correction

I also found this thread that does a similar comparison. Not sure if you'd rather me to post there, but tell me if so. Hopefully, can show at least one comparison between them all tonight.

Yes, really shame on the shake! But shooting at this speeds handheld really is very hard... I'll surely invest in a tripod before shooting my next roll!. And probably shoot something higher in ISO (probably Cinestill 800) since I tend to be attracted to low light situations!

Anyways, I'm very interested in trying the differences between the results I can get from:
- NegativeLabPro with Lightroom
- negadoctor with Darktable
- Vuescan color correction

I also found this thread that does a similar comparison. Not sure if you'd rather me to post there, but tell me if so. Hopefully, can show at least one comparison between them all tonight.
Well I take the easy way and send my film to filmdev for dev and low scan, then adjust the shot in PS to how I like it. Same for any home scans with the V750 by just using Epson software then using Photoshop. I have tried Vuescan and silverfast but by combo suits me......erm maybe my shots would be super excellent if I didn't use Epscan and PS and I'll never know. o_O

I wrote a blog post about using Negative Lan pro a while back.

It's not a comprehensive guide or anything, but it might be of interest to readers of this thread.

Thanks for sharing, Nige. Ultimately that is the path I'm entailing – to get the colours I believe have seen/the colours that please me the most. Possibly an unreachable limit, but one I can approach faster, with the experience and knowledge I can get from other folk, like you all. I'll definetely give NLP a try, as well as negadoctor in darktable. I feel like trying is the key factor.

I believe I have scanned the RAW's as negative images, resulting in a kind of blue negatives?. Can I use NLP on those, or do I have to re-scan again as positive?

By the way, I found your series on multiple-exposures with high voltage electric poles very interesting!

Thanks for sharing, Nige. Ultimately that is the path I'm entailing – to get the colours I believe have seen/the colours that please me the most. Possibly an unreachable limit, but one I can approach faster, with the experience and knowledge I can get from other folk, like you all. I'll definetely give NLP a try, as well as negadoctor in darktable. I feel like trying is the key factor.

I believe I have scanned the RAW's as negative images, resulting in a kind of blue negatives?. Can I use NLP on those, or do I have to re-scan again as positive?
For Negative Lab Pro you have to scan them as negatives, e.g. so you have an univerted result complete with the orange mask. The Negative Lab Pro plugin then does the inversion in Lightroom. There is a guide available on how to do so here:

By the way, I found your series on multiple-exposures with high voltage electric poles very interesting!

I think I'm heading someplace better!
Picking an example already shown:

013.jpg000.jpg18.jpg18.jpg
1 - my first edit, with those weird vuescan settings
2 - vuescan white balance color correction
3 - negadoctor (darktable)
4 - NLP (lightroom)

I think those last two clearly have the winning side, with negadoctor giving a more neutral result than NLP, who gives me more interesting colours.
I'm exploring more NLP than negadoctor though, as it seems to have more flexibility, and more things to fiddle with.

Both gave me much more pleasing results!

I don't use Vuescan with my Epson scanner, but the new Vuescan newsletter talks about the multi-sampling option which seems to have changed recently?

When I added more resolutions for Epson scanners (including scanning at higher than the optical dpi if the motor dpi supported it), the multi-sample scanning stopped working.

Multi-sample scanning on Epson takes advantage of the fact that Epson scanners can scan at X and Y resolutions independently. For instance, if someone is scanning at 1600 dpi but wants less noise in the scan, they can set Input | Number of samples to "4" and it will scan at 6400 dpi in the Y direction and average every 4 scan lines, increasing the number of effective noise-free bits by log2(4) = 2 additional bits.

The re-released version of 9.7.95 does this and seems to work in all the test cases I used with the V600. Someone else tested this with the V850 and it also worked.

I don't use Vuescan with my Epson scanner, but the new Vuescan newsletter talks about the multi-sampling option which seems to have changed recently?
Interesting. I had a problem with the down-sampling feature, which I used to use extensively (as my Plustek would not reliably register correctly for multi-scans). Certain diagonal lines would grow feather-like dangling lines! I reported it back to Hamrick with multiple examples, and we had quite a conversation back and forth. The problem was introduced some time after version 9.4.67 as I was able to get clean scans from that.

This is what the problem looked like:

Screenshot 2022-12-19 at 22.53.25.png

In the end the conversation petered out; they didn't seem able to produce a fix. I gave up down-sampling and tried multi-scan again, and it now seems to work fine (I was contemplating getting a new scanner for a while).

Maybe they've now fixed that old problem... hmmm no, this seems specifically to do with Epson scanners. Oh well!

Great thread.

My neighbour has a Gadget compact digital film scanner that I borrowed. It's about 15 years old and 4MP. I scanned a few 35mm negatives & the results were OK, not great but definitely not poor. I ran them through Topax and they were quite good. I have the original prints from 30 years back that are still very good. The only real difference was the prints had more colour, but I can sort that.

Because I want to do 110 negative film and slides as well, plus a new scanner should give better results, I ordered a 'Dig Tal film scanner' 14MP/22MP with the film/slide holders. Again it did a resonable job of the 35mm negatives, but when I compared the results to the same untouched photo the 'Gadget' 4MP one had scanned, there was little difference, if anything the old 'Gadget' scanner was slightly better. The new 'Dig Tal' scanner holder would not take any of the 1970s Kodak 110 slides, it was impossible to slide them in as the slide holder did not have anywhere near enough tolerance to let the Kodak 110 slides be pushed into it. So I will be sending back the 'Dig Tal'.

On the plus side both scanners were quick on 35mm negative. Just a second or two then push the film to the next picture & press enter again, so 36 films took no time at all to do.

I want to buy another scanner with 110 etc slide carriers, But are they all much the same with different names and cases outside, but internally the same 14/22MP bits? Are the carriers the same?
From photo's the Kodak 110 carrier is slightly different so should work, but the MP is the same, so am I paying a lot more for the same innards but better carriers????

Well thats my experience. Any recommendations?

Thanks @Redspider . Both those scanners seem to be versions of the ones I described in section 3.4. I'm glad they've improved a bit since my experience 11 years ago, but a shame the newer one wasn't up to scratch. Thanks for reporting on them.

A new newsletter from Hamrick indicates a fairly substantial upgrade, although I haven't tried this out as yet. Explanation as follows:

we release a significant new release. Since our last newsletter we have done just that! VueScan 9.7.98 introduces AI and Machine Learning technology which starts to simplify and improve the scanning process. This version is designed to reduce the number of settings users have to set and to help them achieve the best scans possible. You can read more about this new release below.

VueScan 9.7.98 released with AI and Machine Learning Technology​

VueScan [/vuescan-versions/9.7.98.html]9.7.98 is a major update for us, introducing AI and Machine Learning technology to simplify and enhance the scanning process. It can automatically detect the type of transparency being scanned - slides, color negatives, or black and white negatives - and adjust the scanning settings accordingly. And after we received so much feedback from our recent article on faded slides we also added a machine learning model to detect and restore faded slides. Our goal is to make scanning more automatic and efficient while improving the quality of scans. We plan to expand this technology in future releases.

The VueScan User Interface showing the options panel with the Restore Fading option set to Auto in 9.7.98

A new newsletter from Hamrick indicates a fairly substantial upgrade, although I haven't tried this out as yet. Explanation as follows
Would very much appreciate any thoughts/reviews people have of this. I'm using Silverfast but because of their stupid licensing, I need to have 2 copies of the program running and reinstalling after a PC cleanup is a massive pain. Not to mention new scanner = another copy of their stuff. I like the thought that Vuescan would be a one stop shop, is being updated, and might be better than what I have now. (It wasn't IMVHO last time I tried it)

Would very much appreciate any thoughts/reviews people have of this. I'm using Silverfast but because of their stupid licensing, I need to have 2 copies of the program running and reinstalling after a PC cleanup is a massive pain. Not to mention new scanner = another copy of their stuff. I like the thought that Vuescan would be a one stop shop, is being updated, and might be better than what I have now. (It wasn't IMVHO last time I tried it)
The updating of Vuescan Pro has changed for new users, though not for legacy licensees. New users can pay for a licence one-off, and get updates for a year; then you can buy an update subscription at £50 per year (you can keep access to any version you've received if you stop paying). A shame, but I couldn't see how the "lifetime updates" that I and several others have could be sustainable in the longer term!

Entirely agree, the lifetime, one off payment business model can't be sustainable by definition. A reasonably priced subscription model coupled to a first payment sounds a good idea. After all, how should a developer pay for the creation of new versions of their software? The fact that the software is still functional if the subscription expires is very generous (compared with Adobe where you loose all your applications, as I understand it).

Back