A bit of fun - WORDLE. (NB, US spelling!) No spoilers please

5 this morning. I was a little surprised to see that kind of word used, if you get my drift?
Same here, 5.
Would have been 4 but I thought " it can't be that" so swerved it.

4 today.

1649153320329.png

Luckily my 3rd guess eliminated all other words, or I don't think I would have gone for that one.

Got stuck a bit today - after trying three different words I arrived at the correct one on the 5th go.

I calculated my wordle average score yesterday, 3.55 after 73 games.

4 today.

View attachment 349191

Luckily my 3rd guess eliminated all other words, or I don't think I would have gone for that one.

Maybe I’m missing the obvious but Scordle says there are 12,972 choices, presumably of words, but elsewhere it’s said there are 2309 words in Wordle’s list. I suppose that is assuming the NYT is still using the publicly available list — though if not how did Scordle get the new list?

BTW. As of today, the NYT still does not list Wordle amongst its games.

Maybe I’m missing the obvious but Scordle says there are 12,972 choices, presumably of words, but elsewhere it’s said there are 2309 words in Wordle’s list. I suppose that is assuming the NYT is still using the publicly available list — though if not how did Scordle get the new list?

BTW. As of today, the NYT still does not list Wordle amongst its games.
I think the bigger number is the size of the total dictionary of allowed words for any guess (if your word is not in this list, it will be rejected). The smaller number is the list of actual solutions that Josh Wardle picked out (and the NYT may have tweaked), eliminating really obscure words, etc. So you can use CRWTH as a guess, but it will never be a solution unless Josh was being really mean (or remembers his Welsh roots!). Both word lists were extracted by clever people from the original Wordle site. The Scordle numbers must refer to the larger list - if you look at the words it lists when it gets down to a manageable number in your 'post game analysis', many of them are often far too obscure to be likely solutions. Today I must have exhausted the entire 12k dictionary with my lucky 3rd guess, leaving just one possible word, the solution.

Last edited:
I think the bigger number is the size of the total dictionary of allowed words for any guess (if your word is not in this list, it will be rejected). The smaller number is the list of actual solutions that Josh Wardle picked out (and the NYT may have tweaked), eliminating really obscure words, etc. So you can use CRWTH as a guess, but it will never be a solution unless Josh was being really mean (or remembers his Welsh roots!). Both word lists were extracted by clever people from the original Wordle site. The Scordle numbers must refer to the larger list - if you look at the words it lists when it gets down to a manageable number in your 'post game analysis', many of them are often far too obscure to be likely solutions. Today I must have exhausted the entire 12k dictionary with my lucky 3rd guess, leaving just one possible word, the solution.

I see you are correct — or at least that agrees with:

Since its public launch last October, Wordle has relied on two basic lists of five-letter words. The first, which defines which words players are allowed to guess, encompasses nearly 13,000 words—pretty much every such word in the English language. The second, a list of daily answers, contains a more limited set of about 2,300 of those words, originally chosen based on whether they were familiar to Wordle creator Josh Wardle's partner, Palak Shah (that second list should last the game into October 2027).

I see you are correct — or at least that agrees with:

Since its public launch last October, Wordle has relied on two basic lists of five-letter words. The first, which defines which words players are allowed to guess, encompasses nearly 13,000 words—pretty much every such word in the English language. The second, a list of daily answers, contains a more limited set of about 2,300 of those words, originally chosen based on whether they were familiar to Wordle creator Josh Wardle's partner, Palak Shah (that second list should last the game into October 2027).

Interesting bit on the NYT's tweaks:

'Those changes so far have not been major, encompassing just 25 guessable words and seven daily answers. All of the alterations are scheduled for the next 365 days, suggesting more changes may be coming next year. The vast majority of those disallowed words are gendered or racial slurs ("WENCH" is one of the only ones we're comfortable reprinting) or relate to potentially offensive topics ("SLAVE," "LYNCH"). Others are just foreign spellings (like "FIBRE") or outdated words (like "AGORA"). Plenty of sexual terms and words relating to other "adult" topics are still allowed.'

If I'd noticed that earlier, I could have avoided wasting a guess on LYNCH the other day when the answer was NYMPH! (I guess they only removed LYNCH from the list of solutions, not the dictionary list). I also used FRUMP recently (which isn't terribly PC) to distinguish between FOUND, ROUND, MOUND and POUND. Not sure how allowing BLOKE as a solution fits in with removing 'foreign' spellings - must be in US dictionaries too.

Last edited:
4 again for me.

'Those changes so far have not been major, encompassing just 25 guessable words and seven daily answers. All of the alterations are scheduled for the next 365 days, suggesting more changes may be coming next year. The vast majority of those disallowed words are gendered or racial slurs ("WENCH" is one of the only ones we're comfortable reprinting) or relate to potentially offensive topics ("SLAVE," "LYNCH"). Others are just foreign spellings (like "FIBRE") or outdated words (like "AGORA"). Plenty of sexual terms and words relating to other "adult" topics are still allowed.'

If I'd noticed that earlier, I could have avoided wasting a guess on LYNCH the other day when the answer was NYMPH! (I guess they only removed LYNCH from the list of solutions, not the dictionary list). I also used FRUMP recently (which isn't terribly PC) to distinguish between FOUND, ROUND, MOUND and POUND. Not sure how allowing BLOKE as a solution fits in with removing 'foreign' spellings - must be in US dictionaries too.

Yes BLOKE surprised me and then I thought it must be recent from TV etc but actually it been American for some time!

5 for me.

Cancelling out a tonne of letters aint so bad it seems, got it in 4 after a disasterous start

4 today.

Another confounding thing is that, taking just the NYT Games, they don’t all use the same word lists. I do the “Letter Boxed” (which I prefer to Wordle) and being stuck I put in ROHAN which I was sure would be disallowed being LOTR & an outdoor clothing retailer but it was accepted — apparently it’s also a Far Eastern tree ㋡. So I tried it on Wordle and of course it was rejected :(.

5 today 2Y, 1G 1Y, 2G, 3G, 5G. Tricky one today.

4 today lucky guess

Reactions: RIR
I made a real meal of that one. Ended up burning my 4th guess on a word with an already excluded letter to get some more clues, then finished in 5.

1649258678586.png

Slight improvement ... 4 today

Another 5 for me. Catching up with the 3s!

I found it hard going this morning, 5 for me :rolleyes:

I'm in good company ... 5 today after 2 wrong guesses with 3G :banghead:

Back to 4 today 2Y, 2G 1Y, 3G, 5G.

5 today 1G 1Y, 1G 1Y, 4G, 4G, 5G.

Back