A change of hobby.....

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
I thought I’d change my ideas of how to pass time and decided to take up deep sea exploration.
Today I took delivery of a two man Japanese submarine :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

EE850E97-FA28-4249-A6F2-EB858FE8D97B.jpeg

F26A0301-7416-4B96-8F38-72AAD3019EF2.jpeg
Of course you lot know that givin up on film photography for something less demanding :p just isn’t on my agenda .

The question is, if this is not Japanese then where does it originate from, what age is it and what on earth can it be.......:thinking:

Responses on paper and sent in a corked bottle please ..... first person with the correct answer receives....
....a round of applause :clap::clap::LOL:

Attachments

• BDA3568D-B101-47AB-9227-046B92EF396E.jpeg
    BDA3568D-B101-47AB-9227-046B92EF396E.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
It's clearly a scale model of Tower Bridge; and you're taking up table top floor tile photography, using all the movements available on a large format camera. The date of the original places this as originating in or after 1888. Given the almost simultaneous strike of the London match girls (and how appropriate that the first workers to strike made matches) it must have been made from uncoated match sticks, which could not otherwise be sold. And therefore originates in London.

Large format printer.

A clue:

FB186E82-2CB5-4E47-A971-23E8A40C4EC4.jpeg

Laughs loud imagining all the frusty crusties spending the next ten minutes on Google search:LOL:

could be a horizontal enlarger or early Repro camera.

I thought it was a lathe...
but on second thoughts maybe a LARGE set of bellows :)

Last edited:
I thought it was a lathe...
but on second thoughts maybe a LARGE set of bellows :)
Actually the bellows appear quite short when compared against the length of this beast.

When mounted to a wall and the light house in place it practically takes up the full space from floor to ceiling which in my home is 2.5 metres !

Here’s pic of it in situ at the sellers home in Paris .

93CA0BEE-E3F8-494F-8A94-E6D117F89629.jpeg

Gilles Faller enlarger ( they made
Made in France c. 1950
Formats up to 24x30cm
Wood and steel construction
Wall mounted.
Measures ( Max) 2.35m high, 70cm wide , 80cm deep

Had a play with some dud negs.
Of course I’ll have to make some masks/ screens for the 5x4 and 10x8 formats but that should be easy enough.
B26C6236-DD80-4D68-8C2D-D952A6F3584F.jpeg8F0A9F2A-384F-4C5A-ADA0-1DD609112FFE.jpegF0A9AEF2-72E0-434C-9A47-565E75E4E4AB.jpeg

I thought for a minute it was Madame Guillotine

Was that photo taken when the "enlarger" was new?

(I shall make no derogatory beardist comments since mine is a little unkempt - due to covid...)

Was that photo taken when the "enlarger" was new?

(I shall make no derogatory beardist comments since mine is a little unkempt - due to covid...)
My beard is like me .....Wild :p:LOL:

Whennit eventually reaches my ankles I might consider tidying it up a little.

There again no I won’t

I can’t be seen to conform , not now that I’ve made an impression.
I have an image to upkeep :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
So three hours with the help of my very good friend Jean Paul and the beast is in situ.

The collapsable hinged table is yet to be attached but that’s going to have to wait until tomorrow.

I couldn’t resist trying a dud 10x8 neg though to check that all functions correctly.:naughty:

1876B5F1-CC12-4E3B-9FD0-985B8F3721E3.jpeg84304CF0-0F8A-4DF2-B875-DA76F5E426E7.jpegE95829DA-04E5-4C04-92BF-3BEF56E3FEAC.jpeg

Might've been less strenuous taking up deep sea adventuring!

Well done. Take a short break.

Saw the title on the front page and came here expecting you to have taken up beard maintenance. With a lathe.

You disappoint me Asha. :coat:

Saw the title on the front page and came here expecting you to have taken up beard maintenance. With a lathe.

You disappoint me Asha. :coat:

At last!
I have an ability ...... to dissapoint!:p

My beard maintains itself in its natural state...... I take no responsibility:ROFLMAO:

Much easier with a blow torch, although a plasma cutter can sometimes do the job.

Much easier with a blow torch, although a plasma cutter can sometimes do the job.
Don’t you be giving ideas, it’s difficult enough to avoid lawnmowers, strimmers and goats en route to the village!:runaway::help::LOL:

Reactions: Nod
‘This shows just how big the beast is against the philips PCS 130 enlarger which I’ve now reconstructed to its original state following its conversion to use with an intrepid camera / enlarger kit.

Bear in mind that compared to more modern 10x8 enlargers, the beast is, I think , small :wideyed:

DBBE272E-0AFD-4CA0-949B-46B3199469D1.jpeg

Standard 230V AC

Timer plugs directly into the AC mains socket and the enlarger light source plugs into the rear of the timer .:)

Unfortunatly the intrepid enlarger kit is DC powered via an AC-DC power pack so it wasn’t possible to adopt its digital timer to this new enlarger with ease.

Last edited:
Back