a digital picture of Britain

MattEg

TPer Emeritus
Name
Matthew Egan
Edit My Images
No
I've watched a couple of the programmes now and am quite disapointed with the quality of the images the so called pro photographers are taking. They have done nothing to inspire me.

Some of the shots using the phone cameras are better than the shots shot with the hasselblad H1D and to hear the photographers complaining about the kit (H1D) is quite laughable.

What are your thoughts on this?

I was thinking the same to be honest. None of the pics i have seen on it so far have made me go WOW ! I have seen better shots from everybody on here !

Not sure quite whats going on, these people are supposed to be the cream ! and the guy using the Hasselblad this week ! well :nut:

I only caught a little of the last program as after the others that I have seen I have been left uninspired and bored. The idea of the program is quite good but giving the professionals equipment that they are not familiar with and expecting them to do themselves and the equipment justice is just not going to happen.

At best this program has turned into a personal review of photography equipment by professionals that would not normally consider that equipment for themselves. I think the photography itself has become a side product of the “process” and is not a good example of the standard of work either the cameras or the professionals could produce.

This program has made us into voyeurs of the trials and tribulations of professionals and their experiences with new equipment forced up on them. I guess if they marketed it like this we wouldn’t watch though, it doesn’t exactly sell the show. :)

I've watched every edition. Essentially they've taken a selection of very good professional photographers and thrown an unfamiliar camera at them. I think the point the producer's tried to make is that anyone can take a decent picture, no matter what the equipment used, but the reality is that these people are so experienced in composition and subject, they'd be hard pressed not to get at least a half-decent shot - every time.

Last night, for example, the guy who was using the Canon S70 complained about the viewfinder being only 80% of the true view and that it was almost impossible to frame a shot, but seconds later he's using the LCD to do just that. There were also instances of comments like "Oh, the memory cards's full" and "The battery needs recharging". I'll assume that these people would normally take plenty of film out with them and batteries for a flash perhaps, so taking a spare battery and card shouldn't really be a problem. Perhaps some more progressive photographers might have been picked or even a working photographer from a newspaper who already had embraced digital capture. Then we might have seen a more balanced picture.

Did anyone else think the chap with the Hassleblad underexposed virtually every one of his photos? The person in the foreground was nearly in full shadow. I also found his pictures very dull, especially the ones of the woman in front of her council estate.

The only pictures I actually liked were one of the group of farmers at the cattle market, and one the woman took on the beach. It would be good to see someone really push the limits of one of the digital cameras - someone with a good working knowledge of them. But I guess that isn't really the point of the show ;) I do think Tom Ang is cool though :)

for my shame, i haventd actually seen this!

feenster said:
Did anyone else think the chap with the Hassleblad underexposed virtually every one of his photos? The person in the foreground was nearly in full shadow. I also found his pictures very dull, especially the ones of the woman in front of her council estate.

The only pictures I actually liked were one of the group of farmers at the cattle market, and one the woman took on the beach. It would be good to see someone really push the limits of one of the digital cameras - someone with a good working knowledge of them. But I guess that isn't really the point of the show ;) I do think Tom Ang is cool though :)

Yes, noticed the shots with the Hasselblad looked underexposed, but the dullness probably comes from the images being unprocessed RAW or TIFF files, although I think the subject was intentionally downbeat.

Having seen some work of Tom Ang's I would have been keen to see how he got on.

I realise the pictures were supposed to have a certain dullness to them, but they did look pretty underexposed even so. I've just had a Google for Tom Ang's portfolio, but can't find anything. Shame, i'd like to see some of his stuff.

feenster said:
I've just had a Google for Tom Ang's portfolio, but can't find anything. Shame, i'd like to see some of his stuff.

Thats just saved me some time then as I was going to do that tonight as well :)

If anyone has any links I would still like to have a look.

hes very good, i got a book of his...i might actually read it

Well I have had a look but I am not impressed, in his landscape section he has two pictures which are rather uninspiring and technically inept. Level horizons anyone? :whistling

17-sunsetwires.jpg

His portraits are rather unique though :nut:

01-aksakal.jpg

No thanks, I think I will stick to the much better quality and more appealing photos that many of our members post on our forums. :)

I only caught the first episode of this, and I was a bit 'hmmmm'.
I expected to see more of an insight into the photographic mind of all three, so I was quite disappointed.
However, I thought there were some good shots taken, especially by the mid level digital camera (the chap with the beard, you'll have to forgive my lack of photographer knowledge ;))

As for Tom Ang, I watched a program the other day with him teaching some photography students.

Unfortunately, I was very very tired (it was the heat guv, honest), and I fell asleep.

They're certainly different but the sky's straight in the first pic so it's just the hillsides that are sloping, and the second is obviously taken against a hillside background, but is just odd, as I can't imagine why you'd want to miss half the face off what is obviously a character.

The sky is not straight and look at the telegraph poles for reference, there is always something to give it away. ;)

Steve said:
The sky is not straight and look at the telegraph poles for reference, there is always something to give it away. ;)

On closer examination, and without the benefit of the grog, you're right! It's rubbish!

Forgive me for sounding like a drunk, but the telegraph poles in that first shot, seem perfectly upright to me!

Drunk you say? well you and the picture are both suffering from the same problem, being pi**ed :D

Back