Beginner A kid, a roundabout and an idiot with a camera...

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Dropped into a local nature reserve on the way back from a day in the Peak District and finally managed to have a go at this. Been wanting to do it for a while now.

The park itself is a little run down, but the flaking paint on the roundabout added to the images, i think... The surroundings are a little poor and some of the highlights are blown to smithereens, but i'm relatively happy with the outcome, especially the mono. :)

Hang On!!!
by David Raynham, on Flickr

Argh!!!

Argh!!!

Swirly Whirly

All c&c welcome as always! :)

Cheers.
David.

Not too keen on number 1, but the others are excellent. You have beautifully captured the moment and sheer exuberance of childhood. Great stuff.

No1 for me :D

Thanks Bob, what puts you off the first? I like that one the best. :LOL: The others are a little 'take em or leave em' for me.

Cheers Damian.
I reckon childhood is all about movement, joy and colour. The monochrome just seems too dull for the clearly happy little lass.

Have you got #1 in colour. This is the one for me. Great expression and the run down roundabout does add to the photograph.

She looks terrified in #3.

Technically, you've done really well.

I've done a similar one of my daughter and have it on the wall :)

Cheers.

1 for me. Lovely and crisp, lots of detail, cracking expression, the movement and finally processing :)

No idiot there. Well done.

Have you got #1 in colour. This is the one for me. Great expression and the run down roundabout does add to the photograph.

:agree:

The downward looking angle does it for me with that one. Not so much bright sky to distract and I love the intensity of the eye contact.
However, I feel like it's missing the vibrancy of the others by being in B&W.

hi I'm very new to photography and this site (if there was something lower to the status of a noob that's me) and even though this is the first thread I've opened I am very impressed with your photos :), i was wondering if this kind of photo quality would be possible with a Nikon 3100? I know it won't be as good a quality as the photos above but any help would be greatly appreciated :D

Hi Nylle. There is no reason your shots wouldn't be as good. It's a pretty easy shot to create. All you have to do is get a slowish shutter speed of something like 1/10 of a second. As you're spinning with the subject it's not so critical to have a fast shutter but you need it slow enough to be able to catch some movement in the background. We were doing probably 1mph so hardly fast but it gives the effect of being alot quicker. Check out some of the car rig shots, they're doing 2-5mph and look as if they're doing 200!!

Select your lowest iso, and aperture of around f8-11 and see what that gets you. If needs be add a CPL which will block upto 2 stops of light and will help to saturate the colours too which is a bonus.

Be aware of your surroundings too. Benches, bins, people and other play equipment can ruin it. Also watch out for the sky, if it's cloudy then they can easily be blown out which will ruin the shot unless you can crop it out. (I speak from experience. Lol)

Any other questions just ask and I will try my best to help you as much as I can.

What lovely captures of a child having fun even if they are a bit terrified.

A very well done - a pleasure to look at :clap:

Why thankyou very much DD. Muchly appreciated!! :)

Now I* am expecting my first grandchild in May I am drawn to these shots & hope I will be able to get a few (from my wheelchair though) :)

* Or should I say my daughter is :oops: :$

Love the black and white one and the second colour photo :)

thanks minnnt for the tips!!! :) I'll be sure to test these settings out in the open with my niece (hopefully she's not camera shy XD) otherwise ill just have to settle with random strangers or a stationary object with moving cars as background

Back