A rare and hidden place...

it's everyone's favourite mountain, judging by the tripod holes on the riverbank

Right… but not all deliver so pleasing takes! (y)

The shot is there but for the crop/aspect ratio - too much sky - reckon as a square this would be the best way to present the rendition. Might want to peg back slightly the hot sky on the left handside slightly too.

The shot is there but for the crop/aspect ratio - too much sky - reckon as a square this would be the best way to present the rendition. Might want to peg back slightly the hot sky on the left handside slightly too.

A square would cut off the foreground and/or the top of the mountain oddly. Regarding the light, I'm not one for recovering masses of info in the highlights if it wasn't there in the first place. It was a bright winter afternoon, I want to convey that in the image, hence the bright spot in a relatively unobtrusive place. :)

too much sky

Heh - just goes to show how everyone can have a different take, 'cos I'd prefer more sky to give it a sense of majesty. The light is lovely.

Lovely image of a lovely hill. But, for me then crop a wee bit off the right, and crop a fair bit off the sky and its even better. This is then far from square, but puts the peak further to the top - giving the mountain more impact. For me, it also means that the burn coming into shot from the left-hand bottom corner leads the eye more naturally up to the mountain, and not also to empty space to its right.
But then I'd start agonising about how much hill to cut off before it meets the horizon, and where exactly to cut off the sunlit rocks!
Great shot anyway!

Back