"A roll of film" challenge

karmagarda

Good between the sheets
Name
Conor
Edit My Images
Yes
Been having a think about what challenges you can do when it comes to film. I see we have one going here, but I find film such a hard medium to join in on "one photo" type challenges. And pretty much all of those in the challenges section of the forum are really hard to join in on too. I tried the 52 on film, but made a complete tramps knickers out of it. I suppose the problem with film is when you shoot rolls, you have to shoot the whole lot before you get the photo you had for the challenge... so that spawned this idea, and wondering if anyone else would like to join in.

Here's what I'm thinking:

For the month of November let's all spend a roll of film. Shoot what you like, how often you like, in fact as many rolls as you like if you don't like the first one! But at the end all of your shots must come from 1 roll of film. Hence "A roll of film".

I'm going to post up my roll to flickr or pix.ie (have yet to decide), and if anyone else from here joins in I will post up what I reckon are my best 6 and a link to the rest of the roll.

That's pretty much it. If you're up for it let's shoot a roll of 32 shots. Or if you don't think you'll manage that, shoot some medium format instead. How you present your roll and photo it is up to you. The only criteria is that it all must come from one roll of film.

I'm going to start shooting it this weekend (last weekend of this month) and continue for all of November. Then get it developed and get the roll up here in the first week of December. If you have a roll in the camera with only a few shots spent I'd have no arguments against you using that either.

Anyway, that's the plan. Who's up for it?

Oh, and edit: Your roll can contain the shot for the running film challenge here too!

Last edited:
***Anyway, that's the plan. Who's up for it?***

erm wont work for me as to reduce cost have 4 or 5 rolls of 120 done together...and with the weather, convenient times, also using 35mm etc etc it takes me about 8 months for final results. Maybe competitions should be:- your best shots in 2008, 2009, 2010 or maybe winter, spring, summer, Autumn.

Last edited:
No worries. It's not a competition though so it still stands. It's just a bit of a challenge for fun, no winners or losers. Bit like a personal film challenge version of a 52 or something.

I'm doing it, if anyone else reckons they can muster up the courage feel free to join in (y)

I'm 3 shots into a 36 roll of Sensia 100, I could finish that off before the end of November, and it's process paid - so I can have the results for early December. Count me in!

And just to add it's not restricted to 35mm. As per original thread you can shoot medium format if you wish. Or large format. It's just for fun, no pressure or voting etc.

Ah the mention of rolls triggered me thinking 120 film....35mm film? Loads this month, but the problem is getting something worth posting.

I'm 3 shots into a 36 roll of Sensia 100, I could finish that off before the end of November, and it's process paid - so I can have the results for early December. Count me in!

Good stuff! Let's see what happens :)

Ah the mention of rolls triggered me thinking 120 film....35mm film? Loads this month, but the problem is getting something worth posting.

Just reread your original post and I completely missed your mention of 120 :LOL:. If you have a roll, no matter what it is, that you shot in November or there abouts then feel free to post it. As I said though, no pressure on anyone. It's just to get the photography juices flowing :)

Count me in, I'm sure I can manage a roll in a month. I'm not sure what yet, I've just started my last roll of Kodachrome which has to be posted to Dwayne's in the US before the end of the month, maybe some self processed b&w or failing that I'll drop a roll of colour print film into Tesco's.

Whatever I choose there will be something ready for the start of December(y)

Is the entry the whole roll, or just the highlights?

I only ask as I dropped off today my first roll of 120 ever (and first roll of film in 10+ years) and it's likely I'll be bracketing a bit until I get a feel for an Ebay Selfix older than I am!

Count me in, I'm sure I can manage a roll in a month. I'm not sure what yet, I've just started my last roll of Kodachrome which has to be posted to Dwayne's in the US before the end of the month, maybe some self processed b&w or failing that I'll drop a roll of colour print film into Tesco's.

Whatever I choose there will be something ready for the start of December(y)

Excellent! Look forward to it (y)

Is the entry the whole roll, or just the highlights?

I only ask as I dropped off today my first roll of 120 ever (and first roll of film in 10+ years) and it's likely I'll be bracketing a bit until I get a feel for an Ebay Selfix older than I am!

The challenge is the full roll, but you only have to post your highlights here on TP. Let's keep it to this thread, reason I chose 6 highlights is it's the number allowed in a post if I recall correctly. But link back to your full roll too on flickr or equivalent. If you're too embarrassed at the contents of the full roll then no need to post it ('cept we'll call you chicken until you do :D)

Well I am back in college doing darkroom so hopefully I should be getting through some film over the next while. Count me in

Sorry if i'm being a bit dim but I'm afraid I don't get this. Is it about showing that you can get an entire roll of perfect shots? Is it about showing the entire roll to prove you don't make mistakes? I don't see a challenge in just shooting a roll of film - to be honest, a roll of 36 will sometimes last 2 expeditions, more often, especially on slide and with bracketing it'll do a single trip - film stock is cheap - time out shooting is expensive for me. I appreciate that I probably shoot a bit more freely than some of the people in here, but even with my limited timeframes for photography theres no real challenge in just getting through a roll of film in a month:shrug:

FWIW, I'm so terrible at photography, I only let out shots that I'm reasonably happy with - I hedge my bets and bracket shots (especially with slide) and might only have 12 different images from a roll of 36 shots - or maybe only one/two if i'm using the pinhole camera in 12x6 format! For the last Film challenge - Doubles - I shot an entire roll of film in variations of the same image in order to get one that I was happy with. If that seem extravagant then so be it - 1 roll of OOD Reala 100 and a dip in the tetenal c41 might well have cost me a couple of quid. Conversely, my last roll of Kodachrome took me nearly 3 months to use, waiting for the weather and conditions to coincide with times I could get away to shoot. Out of a roll of 36, I managed 10 images that I was happy with - maybe 5 of which I posted on here (the other 5 being personal shots that I didn't really want to plaster on the internet:shrug:) I found the experience more nerve-wracking than the only time I assisted at a wedding shoot. I don't find that the pressure of feeling I needed to make every shot a masterpiece aided my shooting, or, more importantly - my enjoyment of time spent taking the photos.

If I'm missing something obvious, then please let me know - but I'm just not seeing it, sorry :(

Sorry if i'm being a bit dim but I'm afraid I don't get this. Is it about showing that you can get an entire roll of perfect shots? Is it about showing the entire roll to prove you don't make mistakes? I don't see a challenge in just shooting a roll of film - to be honest, a roll of 36 will sometimes last 2 expeditions, more often, especially on slide and with bracketing it'll do a single trip - film stock is cheap - time out shooting is expensive for me. I appreciate that I probably shoot a bit more freely than some of the people in here, but even with my limited timeframes for photography theres no real challenge in just getting through a roll of film in a month:shrug:

FWIW, I'm so terrible at photography, I only let out shots that I'm reasonably happy with - I hedge my bets and bracket shots (especially with slide) and might only have 12 different images from a roll of 36 shots - or maybe only one/two if i'm using the pinhole camera in 12x6 format! For the last Film challenge - Doubles - I shot an entire roll of film in variations of the same image in order to get one that I was happy with. If that seem extravagant then so be it - 1 roll of OOD Reala 100 and a dip in the tetenal c41 might well have cost me a couple of quid. Conversely, my last roll of Kodachrome took me nearly 3 months to use, waiting for the weather and conditions to coincide with times I could get away to shoot. Out of a roll of 36, I managed 10 images that I was happy with - maybe 5 of which I posted on here (the other 5 being personal shots that I didn't really want to plaster on the internet:shrug:) I found the experience more nerve-wracking than the only time I assisted at a wedding shoot. I don't find that the pressure of feeling I needed to make every shot a masterpiece aided my shooting, or, more importantly - my enjoyment of time spent taking the photos.

If I'm missing something obvious, then please let me know - but I'm just not seeing it, sorry :(

TBY, I understand your concern but when I've done similar challenges on other forums, we did an Olympus Trip challenge last year, we just posted all the shots up on a group we set up on Flickr.
As I understand it it's just a way of seeing what other people can get from one roll of film, complete with the accidental shutter releases:D

I usually use these type of challenges to test one of my latest acquisitions or experiment with a new film type or processing method so it's dual purpose.

It's really just a bit of fun so no pressure involved. I don't think anyone will be highlighting my lack of photographic ability, at least I hope not :LOL:

Good to hear it guys! The more the merrier.

I think Nick pretty much summed up my thoughts but I'll add to it...

You're thinking about it too much. It's not about getting 12/15/24/36 perfect shots on a roll, that's like saying that a 365 should have 365 perfect shots. Or a 52 should have 52 perfect shots. That's not the point. But if you think about it, In terms of film that's mainly what most of us shoot. Rolls. So why not just shot a roll and see what happens? Surely there's no harm in that :). Do a double exposure, do a long exposure, shoot a full roll of portraits or landscapes, it doesn't matter. But I reckon you'll be surprised at a couple of shots that might come out of it. Heck, if I come out with 1 or 2 great shots I'd be well happy!

At the end of the day, if you don't think this is something you'd enjoy, then don't do it. Simples!

Or even just try it! And if you're half way through and you decide "this aint for me" then give it up. As I said, no pressure. There's no gun to anyones head here!

On the other hand, you might get something out of it. And you might actually think "you know what, I got 0 (or maybe 36!) great shots... but I'm still glad I did that"

As they say, don't knock it til you try it! (y)

Well I too have got it all wrong as looking thru umpteen 2nd rate shots with a few winners.......would be very boring.

well, put a roll of [cough] Boots colour film in the Nikon F3 to actually see if the camera works/seals ok etc.......and haven't even been out..........:shake:

so this is a good "kick up the backside" to get out ---I'm in..!.....(y)

Well I too have got it all wrong as looking thru umpteen 2nd rate shots with a few winners.......would be very boring.

... but they would be *your* 2nd rate shots :D

well, put a roll of [cough] Boots colour film in the Nikon F3 to actually see if the camera works/seals ok etc.......and haven't even been out..........:shake:

Nice one! I'm going to use this to do a test run on some Provia that Liam gave me, so hopefully I'll get a few keepers out of it

Soiunds like a good excuse to shove a roll of fillum through the F1N - I might just give this a go. (y) Hmmm..... colour or mono? :thinking:

I'm in (y)

it will give me an excuse (kick up the ... ) to try my Photina TLR that I haven't used yet :)

I might do this. Just stuck a roll in my old samsung compact. Discovered it is more complicated than I thought - it's got bulb mode and all sorts. View finder is an abomination so who knows what I'll end up with.

Nice one! I'm going to use this to do a test run on some Provia that Liam gave me, so hopefully I'll get a few keepers out of it

Soiunds like a good excuse to shove a roll of fillum through the F1N - I might just give this a go. (y) Hmmm..... colour or mono? :thinking:

I'm up for this (y)

I'm in (y)

it will give me an excuse (kick up the ... ) to try my Photina TLR that I haven't used yet :)

I might do this. Just stuck a roll in my old samsung compact. Discovered it is more complicated than I thought - it's got bulb mode and all sorts. View finder is an abomination so who knows what I'll end up with.

That's the spirit folks (y)

Conor with one N.....
i quote..........." I will post up what I reckon are my best 6 and a link to the rest of the roll."

6 from everyone - are they up for crit - or just pleasure - reading the Crit thread recently running - perhaps we should only post 3.
If for pleasure I guess 6 would be ok.........I 'may' be lucky to get 1......:shrug:

may i suggest a separate thread for posting, so the images dont get lost in all the discussions...?

So is this definitely a go then?

Yep! My roll is in. Already have 1 shot on it :)

Conor with one N.....
i quote..........." I will post up what I reckon are my best 6 and a link to the rest of the roll."

6 from everyone - are they up for crit - or just pleasure - reading the Crit thread recently running - perhaps we should only post 3.
If for pleasure I guess 6 would be ok.........I 'may' be lucky to get 1......:shrug:

may i suggest a separate thread for posting, so the images dont get lost in all the discussions...?

3 is probably better actually, so let's go with that. And the suggestion of having separate threads is probably wise too. I like crit on any images I post, but if you don't want crit just say. As I said, it's a personal challenge to see what you do with a roll of film once it becomes part of a task I suppose. Plus, it's an excuse to run a test roll through a new camera, try a new type of film, try anything that catches your fancy really. And if you only end up with 1 shot then so what. I might end up with zero :D

3 is probably better actually, so let's go with that.
And the suggestion of having separate threads is probably wise too.
I like crit on any images I post, but if you don't want crit just say.

fair do's........(y)

took the F3 with "cough" Boots 36exp colour out the other morning

and found - when you 'have' to think about the shot, it's hard to shoot 36 in 1 session

so - if nothing else comes of this - I have learnt to slow down....:clap:

If it was summer with nice long days and a chance of reasonable weather I'd be tempted to dig out my old OM4 and join in. It doesn't appeal at this time of year, though - and I'm still struggling to finish my '52'.

It sounds fun, though - maybe another time.

In the scheme of trying something different for this I have a roll of Adox CHS25 here to try. NEVER shot on anything as low as ISO 25 before so this will certainly be a learning experience for me :) Add into that I'll be trying to dev myself you may get a set of 6 almost white frames and a whole load of nothing :)

In the scheme of trying something different for this I have a roll of Adox CHS25 here to try. NEVER shot on anything as low as ISO 25 before so this will certainly be a learning experience for me :) Add into that I'll be trying to dev myself you may get a set of 6 almost white frames and a whole load of nothing :)

2 words for you....

Tripod

and

TRIPOD!

:LOL:

okay

Tripod, TRIPOD

How was you're trip up to Castleford Arthur? - you should have called in for a beer while you were up here...

2 words for you....

Tripod

and

TRIPOD!

Yep just got a very cute little manfrotto :) I'm thinking some nice longer exposure shots down the highstreet in town, might even get some 'motion' in for the film comp :)

okay

Tripod, TRIPOD

How was you're trip up to Castleford Arthur? - you should have called in for a beer while you were up here...

I got the Combi Camp which was the whole point of the drive, but being social was not an option ... as it was it took the seller two hours to get it out from behind a load of old Citroens. Took four cameras with me and never pressed a button :(

P9022516a.JPG

Ignore the ghosts!

However, now that I *do* have the Combi then I can nip out for a couple of days midweek for piccie-outings. I reckon if I take big dog too I'll get away with it :LOL:

Last edited:
Bump

I'll have a go at this. When the sun's out, the light and colours are lovely at the moment. It's been like golden hour all day today.

To make it a challenge, and to link with another current thread, I'm going to try and use a Pentax auto 110.

The camera came in a boxed lot, and I've no idea if it meters well.
The film expired in 2002, and I don't know how it was stored.
I don't know if my spirals will take 110 film, or if I'll get it successfully out its cartridge.
I don't know if I can trick my scanner into taking 110 film.

Those factors and the hope that I'll end up with at least 3 negatives that are interesting enough to share, should make it enough of a challenge.

Oh, and I don't have a flash and several days last week didn't get bright enough for handheld iso400 shots (I got an yellow light in the viewfinder - all green today though).

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else comes up with.

Back