"A roll of film" challenge

Good stuff! Good to have you aboard (y)

How is everyone getting on so far by the way? I'm on about shot 15 or there abouts myself. So not doing so bad! Can't wait to see how it all turns out :)

How is everyone getting on so far by the way? I'm on about shot 15 or there abouts myself. So not doing so bad! Can't wait to see how it all turns out :)

20 sunsets......pouring with rain up here ever since

may have to develop half the roll

just bid on a T90 - thankfully lost as I DON'T need another body...:bang:

Wussed out on the 25-ISO film and put a 100 in :) taken 2 shots and intending to go out today to a car meet and try my best to finish the roll off. may play with yellow and orange filter on B&W so expect lots of duplicate shots on the roll.

20 sunsets......pouring with rain up here ever since

may have to develop half the roll

just bid on a T90 - thankfully lost as I DON'T need another body...:bang:

I wouldn't worry about it, just finish off the roll when you can and then shoot it up. If you end up being a few days/weeks late, doesn't matter, don't think we're going to be ultra strict about it if circumstances prevent on time submission :).

Thankfully not only do I not need another body... I can't afford one :LOL:. So that's keeping me well clear of buying something new until after christmas

Wussed out on the 25-ISO film and put a 100 in :) taken 2 shots and intending to go out today to a car meet and try my best to finish the roll off. may play with yellow and orange filter on B&W so expect lots of duplicate shots on the roll.

Cool. I'll probably get through a few more shots today myself. But don't expect to finish it until closer the end of the month.

Seeing as it's been a week I'd thought I'd resurrect this with a status update.

I'm somewhere around shot 25-27 I think. So going to try make the best of those last 10 or so.

How are all you guys doing?

How are all you guys doing?

On my second roll for this month.. but still a lot of test shots as I get used to the camera.. as an example, the last roll I got back.. out of a possible 8 6x9 frames on the roll.. the first is a "people I know shot" which as a matter of personaly policy I don't share online (and in any case because of the missing frame following it was missed by the shop as they scanned the roll), the second I fluffed and there's no image (I think I didn't fully cock the shutter), the third is an accidental double exposure with limited aesthetic merit, the fourth is ok but uninspiring.. shots five through eight are good, but include three shots of the same subject from different angles as I try and mentally calibrate myself to the view through the viewfinder.. two of them are pretty good though (imho) and I've already posted them on the film shots thread..

That's pretty much the way film rolls are going for me at the moment.. but I'm out there and taking the shots :cool:

Alastair - I think that's the point? A roll of film, not a roll of great shots.

Alastair - I think that's the point? A roll of film, not a roll of great shots.

Yup.. but until I pick up my own scanner I can't even get a complete roll to share.. 6x9 is just too big for the local developers to cope with. I will work the rest of that roll (except for the people shot) to share, but I need better/complete scans first. Even when I ask the shop to double scan each frame at 6x6 and let me stitch them together they struggle with that (tbh they struggle to have the negatives scanned before I come through the door to collect them).

Fortunately I can see that me (as a business) may need a better scanner before the end of the month which I (as a hobby photographer) can set the specifications for ;)

I shot 2 rolls today 35mm B&W at the NEC classic car show.

Now to get dev and scan'ing

Well, I messed up, shot the whole roll, then while trying to work out how to best to secure it in a developing tank somehow mixed up the backing paper and the film and exposed the whole lot to electric light.

*$~$#

I'm going to be kicking myself all night!

There'd have been some cracking shots too!

...Still, there's two weeks left in the month.

I'll try and get these in order.. all shots taken on the morning of Saturday 6th November using a Selfix Ensign 420 loaded with Fujicolor Pro 400H and the film gates open for 6x9..

1. "people shot" of friends in the Graduation procession from the Town Hall, includes a couple of friends who would prefer not to be on the web. In any case, the shop forgot to scan this frame.

2. blank exposure, I remember having problems with cocking the shutter so I'm pretty sure it didn't expose.

3. King's Lynn Town Hall - using the bright view at waist level I seem to be consistently aiming high.

4. St Margaret's Church - accidental double exposure.

5. St Margaret's Church

6. Quayside

7. Customs House

8. Customs House

And there you have it.. the complete roll, or as much of it as there is to share :D

I guess getting only 8 frames to a roll is an advantage sometimes.

Really nice shots. I actually love that double exposure!

Suppose it's came in handy only having to shoot 8! I still have 10 more to shoot :LOL:

Now I have worked out how to develop film myself, I plan on shooting a roll for this comp this weekend. I'm going to stand in rivers in Somerset with some geography A levellers so I may try some slow shutter shots (so expect 36 blurry pics and one showing a river)

I'll try and get these in order.. all shots taken on the morning of Saturday 6th November using a Selfix Ensign 420 loaded with Fujicolor Pro 400H and the film gates open for 6x9..

1. "people shot" of friends in the Graduation procession from the Town Hall, includes a couple of friends who would prefer not to be on the web. In any case, the shop forgot to scan this frame.

2. blank exposure, I remember having problems with cocking the shutter so I'm pretty sure it didn't expose.

3. King's Lynn Town Hall - using the bright view at waist level I seem to be consistently aiming high.

4. St Margaret's Church - accidental double exposure.

5. St Margaret's Church

6. Quayside

7. Customs House

8. Customs House

And there you have it.. the complete roll, or as much of it as there is to share :D

I guess getting only 8 frames to a roll is an advantage sometimes.

Nice shots, definitely a vintage feel too them, almost like colourised B&W.

Well, I *was* going to cheat as well as do the same as Alastair and use the Yashica A roll but decided against it and instead dropped a 24 into the XA2 and went walkies with big dog. Watch that space
kicknuts.gif
Not that one, this one...
hahaleft.gif

Last edited:
Despite messing up on getting my 110 film out of the cassette, I decided to go through the motions to see if I could get through the technicalities of developing and scanning my film.
It was a fiddle, but the trickiest bit was getting my scanner (an aged HP photosmart s20) to cooperate... I had to mount the negatives on 35mm slide mounts in the end.

Anyways... a couple of images did kind of make it through my cock ups, and the feel this one has is probably more interesting than if it came out perfectly:
5202578406_4aed051283_b.jpg

I have another roll in the camera, courtesy of the auction site, so I'm still aiming to get a better selection of shots.

well a result................ (y)

should have been wine, fishes and loaves......:exit:

It was - the sun beam from the gap in the clouds had the bread away just before he clicked the shutter... still a nice pic though and (y) for struggling with 110, I had similar issues with the APS film and that's a bit bigger!

I'm now looking at three films just this past few days, XA2 (doggie-Smocken Common), Balda (doggie, around the village) and XA (Norwich, *real* hair-trigger shutter :eek: )

Last edited:
I gave up trying to get it on the spool. I just wrapped it around the bottom of the developing tank and covered it with enough tetenal to do 35mm. Agitation was done in an airing cupboard an involved making sure the film strip remained submerged.
I wasn't really expecting any shots to come out.
I cobbled together the still life out of what I though would catch the sun and was at hand. I never thought of adding bread! I'll try and get a shot of a loaf on the back up roll.

Well... I STILL have about 10 shots left. Really need to get out and polish that roll off this weekend. Couldn't possibly start a task like this and then be the one to fail at the finishing post!!

I'm definitely not going to make it. Taken a few and haven't taken any more! Taken loads of digital ones though.

If someone would invent an idiot proof developer that could allow me to pop the finished roll into it, ignore it then take it out fully developed then I might stand a chance :D I used to use Jessops postal envelopes but I don't think they're doing postal developing any more...

I'm definitely not going to make it. Taken a few and haven't taken any more! Taken loads of digital ones though.

If someone would invent an idiot proof developer that could allow me to pop the finished roll into it, ignore it then take it out fully developed then I might stand a chance :D I used to use Jessops postal envelopes but I don't think they're doing postal developing any more...

Peak Imaging - first time you use 'em, theres a downloadable freepost label to stick on your own jiffy bag - when they return the pic's they send a mailer for next time. Turnarounds been 3-4 days when I've used 'em, and the quality has been great.

Anyway - i've finally managed to run a roll of the Ektacolour Pro 160 through the Perkeo, hopefully I'll get time to soup it tomorrow evening, and i'll make the call if i'll be entering at that point :LOL:

It's a nice film... bit on the green side though - I hope you gave it a bit extra on the elephants? I'd say shoot it at 200 anyway. Yes, I know it's a bit bloody late but there you go :D

It's a nice film... bit on the green side though - I hope you gave it a bit extra on the elephants? I'd say shoot it at 200 anyway. Yes, I know it's a bit bloody late but there you go :D

It probably got a little extra due to the slightly slow running shutter tbh. :LOL:

Lucky - then it's a nice film, like I said it's a little on the Adam and Eve side but all the better for it I think, you can have *too much* warm or vibrant.

we'll see how it comes out of the soup-pot - with a single roll of 120 I didn't do my usual trick of shooting a colour chart as the first frame, so any colour correction is going to be by the lemon method*

*Suck it and see :LOL:

Last edited:
If I were dyslexic I'd report that post ^^

The emerald green field was the same in shot 8, before I had to tweak it. What you can't tell from the small version, is that the shot is horrendously blurred through camera shake. Shot 8 was better as I'd managed to get my pulse rate below 3 figures by then :LOL:

:LOL: fair enough!

Just finished my own roll off today. Managed to balls up the aperture on a few shots though, the aperture ring on the FED-2 is very sensitive and sometimes you might not have noticed flicking it down to a tighter aperture. Not good when you're shooting at dusk!

Anyway, I'll get her dev'd during the week and pop the results up here in a new thread :)

There's some really interesting stuff in this thread so far!

Here's my entry, a roll of NC 400 shot with my Yashica Mat 124G over the past few days.

London10-TomKathrynEd.jpg

Brighton10-WhiteHouses.jpg

Brighton10-DeadExoticBird.jpg

Brighton10-Boardwalk.jpg

Brighton10-BeachBushes.jpg

Brighton10-OldPier.jpg

sorry to say i didn't get to finish the roll

so...will get what I have done asap

Back