A SpidersEye View: A picture a day

DSC_2133.jpg

We had a proper downpour in Edinburgh today, starting just as I was leaving the supermarket :)

This picture was inspired by Dave's daisy picture yesterday ... I took the picture twice, once focussed on the buildings and once on the raindrops on the glass, then merged the two and tweaked the contrast a bit.

Last edited:
365130.jpg

Taken from my kitchen window last night.

I think I'm back on track with this now, I'm going to start putting some effort into it again.

That cloud is great, so abstract, even looks like water.

Glad to hear you are back on track, we all seem to be going through the motions recently :)

The chickweed shot a few days ago is pretty good, with the almost effervescent sparkles within its petals. I like the rust shot too.

That cloud is great, so abstract, even looks like water.

Glad to hear you are back on track, we all seem to be going through the motions recently :)

I like 129 and the cloud one, agree with ShrubMonkey, looks like water!

Thank you :)

I have the cloud picture as my desktop wallpaper at work now, a few people said the same thing about it looking like water :)

The chickweed shot a few days ago is pretty good, with the almost effervescent sparkles within its petals. I like the rust shot too.

Thanks Angi. I like photographing rust, I think it's an amazing colour. Not a fan of it though! :)

365131.jpg

Just a quick one today. I've no idea what this flower is; I've had it for ages (it probably wasn't dead when I got it!) :)

For yesterday ...

365132b.jpg

I was planning to go out and get my ship shot yesterday after work ... however, the weather had other ideas and as soon as I got home it rained (lots). Lesson learnt: don't rely on getting the one picture, take camera everywhere :|

Today's picture is of a row of windows from inside an aircraft hangar (I was at an airshow today). I converted it to b&w, corrected the perspective, upped the contrast massively, cloned out bits of the building that were still vsible and played about with hue/saturation. Then I inverted it as I thought it looked better that way :)

Last edited:
365133.jpg

It was the airshow at the National Museum of Flight at East Fortune today. It's the 1st airshow I've been since 1996. I took around 560 pictures, but getting half-decent pictures of aircraft isn't as easy as I thought it would be! However, it took no time to decide what picture to post in here.

The aircraft hanger window shot is very spooky, but I like it.

Vulcan is great, works well in B&W, Fantastic aircraft.

Thanks Julian. I'm glad you like the window picture :)

The Vulcan was amazing. I changed it to b&w because there was a bright blue bit of sky that I thought spoilt it. I'm not complaining though, I was expecting it to rain :LOL:

365134.jpg

I've had lots to do at home today and haven't had any chance to go out so this is another picture I took yesterday at the air show. It's the side of an aircraft hangar i thought would make a bit of a crazy abstract.

There was quite a crowd of people standing about when I took this as it was halfway through the air display. I got some very funny looks :LOL:

Apologies again if it sends your eyes a bit mad ... I thought I'd leave you with something different as I won't be onlline again for a while. I'm working away all this week and then camping at the weekend, so my next update will be quite a big one either next Sunday or Monday :)

Big update (Monday to Sunday!) coming up ... I was working away form home all last week, then had about half an hour at home on Friday and was off camping for the weekend :)

As I was expecting nasty weather last week (and I wasn't wrong!) I left the SLR at home and I've been using the Ixus as I wasn't so worried about that getting waterlogged :LOL:

Day 135 of 365 - Caterpillar #1

365135.jpg

I'm a bit unhappy about the bit of plant in front of it but if I'd moved it I'd have disturbed the caterpillar, and he did look a bit precarious :)

365136.jpg

It rained a lot on Tuesday! I ate lunch while attempting to shelter under some pine trees (though it didn't really work). This is raindrops on a polystyrene plate using the macro function on the Ixus. I'm not quite sure what I was trying to achieve with that one though!

365138.jpg

I haven't got round to finding out what kind of caterpillar this is, but it was massive!

365139.jpg

Just a quick snap on Friday as I had loads to do before getting on the road back to Edinburgh. I was just experimenting to see what kind of effect on the water I could get with the Ixus.

365140.jpg

We were camping in Peebles (Borders) over the weekend and went for a bit of a drive on some steep and winding roads in the afternoon. I was following someone who knew where they were going so I'm not entirely sure where this is :shake:

365141.jpg

This isn't a picture I had in mind from today, but I've been recovering from a weekend of camping :beer: and all the photos I took were rubbish :LOL:

This is a reflection of turbines in my car's sunroof. I've flipped the image, corrected the perspective, done a bit of sharpening/adjusting contrast.

365143.jpg

On the way back from work today I stopped off in the park and sat down for a bit. Luckily I wasn't sitting there long before I looked at the ground close by and saw this ...

ed.jpg

before the start of the Edinburgh Fringe Festival :)

It's starting to get very busy in town now, flyers are being stuck onto every available surface, and there are quite a few street artists performing already. I'll be in Edinburgh throughout much of the festival so there might well be a recurring theme over the next few weeks!

Oh, and sorries for not commenting on anyone else's projects for a while now ... I promise to do some catching up at the weekend :)

365146.jpg

This impressive sandstone structure was built by Thomas Telford in 1832 and carries a road 106 feet above the steep valley of the Water of Leith.

The bridge consists of four arches spanning 90 feet with the total length being 447 feet.

I walked home alongside the water of Leith today. If you go over the top of this bridge you get no idea of how high it actually is, but from underneath it it's very impressive! There aren't that many places where you do get a decent view of it though. There are some nice colours in the sandstone :)

Thanks Jonny. Glad you like the Vulcan picture. I'm at another airshow next month so I'll get to have another go at aircraft then (most of my photos from that day were binned straight away!)

Glad you like the caterpillar too, I find the Ixus pretty good for macro (though I still really need a macro lens) :)

365147.jpg

I've had loads to do at home today so didn't get out, which I started to regret just as it started getting dark! Today's picture's a bit of a filler I'm afraid :(

I'll be out again tomorrow taking in some of the festival so I'll have something more interesting then :)

365148.jpg
It was absolutely packed solid when I made it into town today, which put me at a disadvantage when trying to photograph people as I'm only 5'2" :LOL:

Next time I'll find something to stand on to gain a bit more height :D

365149.jpg

The only picture I got today because I forgot to charge the battery!

This is the side of the Royal Scottish Academy (next to the National Gallery) in Edinburgh. Another performer had drawn quite a big crowd here at lunchtime today :)

I'll be back on Thursday or Friday!

Big update time!!

I'm a bit late with the update due to being away last week, coming back to the Edinburgh festival etc ... but anyways:

Day 150: Tree Canopy

365150.jpg

It rained pretty much all day so I spend quite a bit of time sheltering among the trees. Due to the rain I didn't want to risk damage to my SLR so I've been using the Ixus quite a bit again.

Day 151: Moss

365151.jpg

Sphagnum and Polytrichum moss growing in an area of bog I've been looking at (yes, in the rain).

Day 152: Edinburgh Fringe: Udderbelly's Pasture

365152.jpg

One of the venues for some of the festival shows is a large inverted purple cow (I will get a picture of this when the weather improves!! The poster in the picture is the show we were waiting to see at the time: one man re-enacts the entirety of Lord of the Rings by himself. Genius!

Day 153 of 365

365153.jpg

This church is beside Dean Bridge on the west side of Edinburgh. I'll edit this post when I remember which church it is ...

Day 154 of 365: Knock Hill

365154.jpg

The hill beside the racing circuit, showing what the weather was like on much of the day of the Touring Car Championship this weekend. Thankfully it cleared up in the afternoon!

Day 155 of 365: Drifting

365155.jpg

One of my favourite pictures I got from this weekend's racing at Knockhill

Day 156 of 365: Edinburgh Botanic Gardens

365156.jpg

A mature tree next to the new visitor centre.

Back