A SpidersEye View: A picture a day

36574.jpg

Had a really busy day on Tuesday, so not much time for pictures. I only had my Ixus with me this week as I was anticipating rain :|

This is a folder I take with me every tiime I go away. It's something I started writing about 6 years ago (I'm attempting to write a novel); it's printed out on 500 pages and now I'm re-writing it :)

36575.jpg

The weather was interesting today; it rained when I was out and about but was lovely and sunny during lunch. I always like finding heath violets :)

There were 2 rows of trees that had fallen in the forest, the dark bit is the root system of one of the rows. I've upped the contrast alot to make it look a bit more unusual. That tree was the best thing I saw all day - the top of it was touching the ground :LOL:

36577.jpg

I noticed this when I was outside earlier waiting for the wax to dry on my car. I had the morning off work to get the new suspension springs fitted; the back ones were on in no time but when it came to the front, one of the parts that needed removing had rusted up, so had to be cut out and replaced, and by then we'd run out of time to finish. The car's going on a club stand at a show tomorrow, so I'm hoping people are too busy admiring the gleaming paintwork to notice that the back is significantly lower than the front :LOL:

36578.jpg

It was the first show of the season today: Volksfling 2009 at Biggar (Scottish Borders). My pride & joy was on the front row of the club stand, and got a fair bit of attention, making the 6 hours of preparation well worth it :)

A few people did comment on the fact the back is lower than the front. One comment I got was "it looks like you've shut a baby elephant in the boot" :LOL:

I'm hoping I can get the front sorted out soon, the ride feels a bit odd at the moment!

Looks nice Kay. Gotta ask, I know Skodas are basically VW's now, but do you still get many Skoda jokes?

Thank you :)

I get the jokes every now and again, but not as often as I thought I would. I find it quite amusing though! I have had a few people say they can't bring themselves to like the car because of the badge, which I think is a bit odd but it doesn't really bother me. I know a few Skoda owners that get upset about that though!

36579.jpg

I went out for a wander this afternoon to photograph plants. It's probably my favourite subject to photograph. I did get some odd looks today though; it was quite busy where I was, there were two very well surfaced paths and I was wading around in knee-deep grass between the two :D

A few more of my recent flower pictures are just here

Last edited:
36580.jpg

I had another typical 'be incredibly lazy' bank holiday and didn't actually leave the house. I did think about it though, and I would've gone to the same place I went to yesterday (the nearest part of the Firth of Forth, looking out towards Cramond Island), where I took this picture. I know that's kind of cheating, but it's moe interesting than a filler shot of me tidying the flat :|

I'm off out again tomorrow til Friday so I'll update then ;)

36581.jpg

I was taking pictures of cuckooflower along a forest ride when I came across a very obliging orange tip :)

36582.jpg

Another day of walking along forest rides. I got incredibly soggy getting this photo - this plant grows in boggy areas and to get the angle I wanted on it I had to lie down in some very waterlogged moss :D

36584.jpg

I had a bit of a nosey round a wind farm beyond the forest I've been working in this week. I didn't spend too long up there as there were quite a few vans heading in and out, but I hope I'll be able to go back when there's a bit of mist and it's a bit more atmospheric.

I like the set, my sedge ID skills are probably a lot worse than yours but I once learned that you can tell if it is a sedge by rolling the stems in your fingers. Sedges have triangular stems, grasses and so on don't. :geek:

Thanks Nic. I did a sedge ID course a couple of years ago, and I thought I'd remember ... but I didn't :thinking:

Glad you like the pics :)

Nice composition on the Turbine shot(y)

Thank you :)

I did a sedge ID course a couple of years ago, and I thought I'd remember ... but I didn't

My wife is into all that stuff too, she has done courses on Sedge, moss, lichens, etc :)

36585.jpg

The weather has been amazing today so as is tradition I went out for a drive with a friend, and ended up in the Borders near Peebles, and stopped off briefly for a car photoshoot and get a bit of sunburn.

I'm not going to start taking loads of pictures of parked cars from now on .... I think in this picture the sky's more interesting, it's been like that all day :)

I am more interested in birds - I always think that I should try and foster my interest in plants - they don't move all the time like birds so the ID must be easier ;)

It wasn't until fairly recently I started getting interested in plants; I did a field surveying contract 4 yrs ago and I thought I was just going to be looking at birds, and it wasn't until I got there I found out I would be looking at plants too so I had about 4 weeks to learn as many as possible :eek:
I'd always been more interested in birds before that but now i love both :)

With plants it can somtimes be difficult to seperate species because the differences can be very subtle, but recognising what family something belongs to isn't that tricky once you know what to look for. And like you say they don't move, which does make it a bit easier :)

DSC_0142.jpg

Spent the day at Knockhill today. It was a great day aswell, although there were a few problems due to the heat - the track temperature was actually higher than it was at the Monaco Grand Prix last weekend!

There were a few mishaps that I managed to miss (including another Lamborghini-related incident that happened right in front of me) but I wasn't too happy with most of my pictures. I took loads of this car though - I want one :)

36587.jpg

I've been doing some vegetation surveys in the Monadhliath Mountains for the last 2 days. This is a record shot I took of some dwarf birch. This is a fully grown tree :)

Back