A7R3 or D850 or 5D4

Flagship Nikon being a D5 for a journo or a sports Tog means nothing to a landscape photographer like me who would consider the D850 or 810 as being the best for my needs

i think i would be pretty torn if i were to be starting out now between the sony (although the A9 rather than the A7 series) and the D850. Both cameras are absolutely amazing and while i do have a bias to nikon i find the current predicament nikon are in financially worrying along with their lack of innovation. Sony are really pushing the boundaries of late and improving year on year and so they seem like the obvious choice, but having played both cameras its a damn close call for me based on the here and now. I think i would just about go with the nikon as things stand, its the safe bet in terms of lens availability, and what i know, but if i were looking longer term and speculating then i would probably plump for the sony.

Flagship Nikon being a D5 for a journo or a sports Tog means nothing to a landscape photographer like me who would consider the D850 or 810 as being the best for my needs

:agree: :cool::cool::cool:

Well, on the original subject, I'd pick the D850 as I'm curious about it's focal point shift capabilities. (if that's the correct term?)

No Bias here either. I have either shot with Nikon or Canon and they have a vast lens line up and some cheap but really good glass.

I have not used Sony and have not been interested up until now due to shutter black out which when doing sports is not ideal.

The A9 however has addressed this issue and I believe the new A7 also has zero black out.

For me if I was starting out would make things much harder. Although the Sony models and lenses are more expensive putting them out of my budget.

I think you need to try the bodies. You might not enjoy the handling of certain ones.

I think it's definitely a choice between the D850 and the A7RIII.

The Slanted Lens did a video review recently and as they said usually they have 3 cameras in their test but this year there was only 2 the Nikon and Sony as Canon did not have a camera that could compete, and I think that is the case.

I own a D850 and it really is a good camera but this was an upgrade for me from a D810, if I was starting off I would try both and see what feels right as I think that's pretty much the only factor as they appear to be both superb.

Back