Adobe cc price increase incoming

£10 a month is a bargain still, Nothing compared to the depreciation on any other gear and without an initial outlay.
Photoshop used to cost hundreds, especially the extended version. If you don't need LR and Ps there are plenty of alternatives, if you do, it's cheap.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

I completely understand the economics of international trade and the reason for increasing prices in certain areas due to currency fluctuations. But the idea of a company willingly using the same reason to justify reducing the cost of their products? Ha!

I think the 'currency fluctuation' is not a genuine reason for the price increase, unless you are talking about corporate income and profit. There is nothing material being purchased in the UK that will have been impacted by increased prices due to currency, thus I am not sure what impact currency will have.
My 2p worth, or should that be $.05??

I think the 'currency fluctuation' is not a genuine reason for the price increase, unless you are talking about corporate income and profit. There is nothing material being purchased in the UK that will have been impacted by increased prices due to currency, thus I am not sure what impact currency will have.

Are you being serious?

Absolutely! What materials are being used in teh Uk that will have cost more due to currency fluctuation as they have been imported - nothing. Aodbe UK probably has financial targets set in $$ , thus has to increase prices (or get lots more customers). If I am missing something please let me know. Thanks

Aodbe UK probably has financial targets set in $$ , thus has to increase prices (or get lots more customers). If I am missing something please let me know. Thanks

This doesn't sound to bad.

Adobe, which is generally conservative with its forecast, said it now expects an adjusted profit of about $2.80 per share, on revenue of about $5.8 billion for its fiscal year 2016. Analysts on average, were expecting a profit of $2.76 per share, on revenue of $5.74 billion, according to Thomson Reuters.

or does it?
Adobe has posted a 46% year-on-year drop in net profits, raising doubts over its strategy of shifting customers to cloud subscriptions.
The company has spent the past couple of years attempting to wean customers off one-off purchases of software and move them on to Creative Cloud subscriptions.
However, this appears to be coming at the expense of profitability, with Adobe blaming higher operating expenses and weaker profit margins for the sharp dip in profits.

Source

Absolutely! What materials are being used in teh Uk that will have cost more due to currency fluctuation as they have been imported - nothing. Aodbe UK probably has financial targets set in $$ , thus has to increase prices (or get lots more customers). If I am missing something please let me know. Thanks
It's an international product so they want to sell it for the same price (taking in currency differences) across the world, so currency flucations come into play. If they don't then people will buy in another currency and effectively pay less if the exchange rate makes it cheaper. If you can buy the same product cheaper in a different currency why would you pay more for it your own currency? if they don't increase prices where currencies have dropped they are effectively devaluing their product. Sweden is also seeing price increases as the krona has dropped too.

Zenfolio's pricing structure has this problem by having both £5 and €5 monthly plans (£60 or €60 per year). Since I've had my website I've paid zenfolio in euros as it's slightly cheaper even taking into account the currency exchange bank charge I incur. Recently it's not been as good due to the drop in the value of the pound but it was still £5 cheaper this year. Previously it's been up to £15 cheaper.

If you sold products across the world and you wanted £10 per product, wouldn't you make sure you are getting £10 back if you sold it in another currency?

Last edited:

You're right that Adobe's costs are probably unaffected as hosting is likely to be in the US, but as we are paying in Sterling Adobe have a drop in revenue due to the falling exchange rate. .

I enrolled in the CC programme in September 2013 and the first increase in price will take effect on my renewal in September 2017, after 4 years constant price I don't think there is too much to complain about.
With that thinking it's not so bad, other comodities have increased much more than this in 4 years.

I've stayed with standalone as I only use Lightroom and now LR6 meets all of my needs. Since I started using Lightroom in 2012 with LR4 and then upgrading to LR6 (I missed out LR5) it's worked out as only £2.50 per month so far for me but I can see why CC is great value with Photoshop added in. If I wanted photoshop too I would go with CC.

That's right they have targets in $

So lets say they have a target $13.50 per subscription (photography package) (numbers are for illustration purposes only before somebody replies splitting hairs)
Based on an exchange rate of £1.60 to the $ (before the £ fell) they calculated that the Brits need to pay £8.45 for them to meet that target.

Only now the £ fell against the $ and the dollar is only worth £1.20, which means that Adobe are only getting $10.14 for every subscription from the Brits. In order for them to meet their target they have to increase the price.

It has nothing to do with physical products or importing and exporting. It's basic business.

So lets say they have a target $13.50 per subscription (photography package) (numbers are for illustration purposes only before somebody replies splitting hairs)
Based on an exchange rate of £1.60 to the $ (before the £ fell) they calculated that the Brits need to pay £8.45 for them to meet that target.

Only now the £ fell against the $ and the dollar is only worth £1.20, which means that Adobe are only getting $10.14 for every subscription from the Brits. In order for them to meet their target they have to increase the price.

It has nothing to do with physical products or importing and exporting. It's basic business.
And if they keep the UK on £8.45 then others may start buying the cheaper U.K. Subscription (if that's possible to do with adobe) and pay the exchange rate fees meaning they lose even more revenue than from only the UK subscribers.

It's an international product so they want to sell it for the same price (taking in currency differences) across the world, so currency flucations come into play. If they don't then people will buy in another currency and effectively pay less if the exchange rate makes it cheaper. If you can buy the same product cheaper in a different currency why would you pay more for it your own currency? if they don't increase prices where currencies have dropped they are effectively devaluing their product. Sweden is also seeing price increases as the krona has dropped too.

Zenfolio's pricing structure has this problem by having both £5 and €5 monthly plans (£60 or €60 per year). Since I've had my website I've paid zenfolio in euros as it's slightly cheaper even taking into account the currency exchange bank charge I incur. Recently it's not been as good due to the drop in the value of the pound but it was still £5 cheaper this year. Previously it's been up to £15 cheaper.

If you sold products across the world and you wanted £10 per product, wouldn't you make sure you are getting £10 back if you sold it in another currency?

I have to disagree with your coment about selling at the same price - (most) companies sell at the highest price the local market can support

Ecoleman - We are saying the same thing, I just do not believe that this is a reason that can be used to customers - 'sorry you have to pay more as we have to maintain our corporate fnance goals'. Most companies would dress it up and put a marketing spin on so that there is a perceived added value for the increased cost. In this particular case I believe that Adobe have segmented their market and p***ed off ther customers with the cloud application that it is not true they HAVE to put up their UK prices due to fluctuation. If that was their reason then would their prices come down when there is a strong pound;). I do not believe that it is basic business - Blatantly fleecing thier customers to meet their corporate finance targets is not a successful long term strategy IMHO. But that is splitting hairs and opinion.

how about adobe goes bust? stranger things have happened.
IF Adobe ever went bust, there'd be a whole line of people waiting to take over their assets.
If someone like Google ever inherited Adobe software they'd probably make it free, like they did with NIK.

Just went to cancel my subscription only to discover that if I cancel now, I'll be charged 50% of my remaining subs! My plan ends 22 Aug 17 and I have made a note in my diary.

If I used photoshop I would still think it good value but I have found I only use lightroom. I would be happier if they offered a lower price for only lightroom or allowed me to pay in $ so I can take the currency risk and also benefit if the exchange rate moves in my favour. I somehow doubt Adobe will reduce the prices if sterling gains against the dollar.

I have never really liked monthly payments and Adobe have given me a reason to look elsewhere. Now I have to decide on the standalone Lightroom 6 ( will there be a newer version out soon ? ) or look for different software.

With video I chose FCP rather than Premiere Pro as I could buy it outright for £200. I use both OSX and Windows so I can pick the software that suits me with either OS.

i started another thread about this, but put it in the wrong place... so, really, my original question is, do any of you guys have any recent experience with Capture One Pro which seems to be the strongest Lightroom contender?

I see the DXO Optics 9 offer, I'll take a look at that - although at first glance it doesn't seem to be as strong as Lightroom, but I might be mistaken.

I use Photoshop Elements and it does more than enough for me - but then my PP skills are somewhat basic. I do not have any skin in this game

This is why I stick to my trusted CS4. For a time there were compatibility issues with some of the new MAC IOS packages but they seemed to have sorted them and it works as it did when new now. Does everything I need and more.

remember CS4 for mac is only 32bit, so don't bother upgrading your ram any time soon. also I found CS4 horribly unreliable on newer mac OS.

(assuming you're on mac)

i started another thread about this, but put it in the wrong place... so, really, my original question is, do any of you guys have any recent experience with Capture One Pro which seems to be the strongest Lightroom contender?

I see the DXO Optics 9 offer, I'll take a look at that - although at first glance it doesn't seem to be as strong as Lightroom, but I might be mistaken.

I have had a go with DXO Optics Pro 9, it is not Wow fantastic but it will do a pretty good job :)

I'm on a brand new MacBook Pro with SSD. Absolutely no problems at all.
just saying, used to look after a floor of macs and those on new macbooks with 10.10 or higher than had to have CS6/CC because CS4 (that ran absolutely fine on older OS levels) was very unstable. gpu acceleration for one often had to be turned off which killed performance even more (more than just the RAM limitation).

just saying, used to look after a floor of macs and those on new macbooks with 10.10 or higher than had to have CS6/CC because CS4 (that ran absolutely fine on older OS levels) was very unstable. gpu acceleration for one often had to be turned off which killed performance even more (more than just the RAM limitation).

It did used to for me, too. I think it was two IOS version ago it all started working beautifully. Before that mine would crash and it wasn't even possible to close it without having to deliberately crash it. I'm now on Sierra 10.12.3.

I not received any mail from them yet.
Not up for renewal till June 25th

I not received any mail from them yet.
Not up for renewal till June 25th
Mines due the end of July and I've had one. Probably going to let you off with an increase, dafter things have happened with Adobe.

Back