Advice needed for a canon flash (Xmas present)

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
hi all
my good lady has asked me what I want for Christmas and as I have just started out in Photography she wondered if I would like some camera equipment.

Now, I have three lenses and a Canon 80D but do not have a flashgun, so I thought maybe she could get me one and have been doing a bit of research.

The obvious choice would be a Canon, but having looked there are a few others that are compatible with my 80d for full E-TTL, namely
Yongnuo
Godox
Nissin

and they are a lot cheaper than the Canon models

The Yongnuo's seemed to have a few problems with overheating and dieing which doesn't give me confidence

Nissin's seem to get good reviews, but do not seem a popular choice for whatever reason

Godox seems to also get good reviews and looking at posts on here they seem to be popular amongst the members

Is the Godox TT685C as good as it is cracked up to be ??? what if it goes wrong ??? I cannot find a UK supplier so I suppose a warranty is out of the question (unless someone knows different)

I do not want to go the Ebay route as I can see a lot of hassle coming if the flash turns out to be faulty, even after a few weeks.
Or should I tell her to just get the Canon from Jessops, at least I will have some comebacks if it does develop a fault

We get all the family and in-laws over the Christmas period so it will probably get used quite a bit then, kids, nephews, nieces and so on.

Suggestions and tips are most welcome.

£165 from Lencarta with a genuine 3 year warranty https://www.lencarta.com/godox-ving-v860ii-canon-flashgun-speedlite-kit
But, wherever you choose to buy it, it's streets ahead of Canon in every way, and also forwards compatible with all other Godox products, so a bit of a no brainer IMO
As For Yongnuo, looking a bit tired now, and Nissin even more so.

Is the Godox 860 the updated version of the 685C ? the only difference I see is the battery.

Yes the TT685 is that good. For the extra money the V860II has a Li-Ion battery gives you more pop/charge and faster recycletime + easier battery changing. Those can be important but other than that the two offers the same functions, handling and guidenumber. Then there is price......

I've used a lot of Yongnuo products over quite a few years now, never had a problem and it's hard to argue with the prices.

But from your list, Godox V860ii (with lithium battery) is the obvious choice for one simple reason - it's an excellent unit and part of a fully integrated system running from speedlights to studio heads to powerful location flash, all working off the same trigger and remote control system. The only other brands to offer that are Phottix and Profoto.

On the other hand, if you have no ambitions to take flash that far, there are many more good options, including Nissin. Also keep an eye on the classified section here, I saw some bargain Canon 580EX guns for sale* just the other day ;)

*Okay, I own up - it's me :D

Thanks for all the replies. TBH I think the 860 would never be utilised to its full potential as I cannot see me firing off the flash so quickly. I think the 625 will do me just fine as I have a few rechargeable eneloops. Decisions, decisions

I bought a TT685C in time for a friend's wedding about a month ago, and liked it so much I've just bought another (both times through Amazon). I found the Godox control interface quicker and more intuitive than models I've used from other third-party value brands. I don't own any high-end Canon flashguns to compare with, and I haven't had time to test the TT685C out thoroughly, but if you're choosing between Godox and third-parties in a similar price range, I think they're the superior of them. I considered the Ving too but rejected it because of the proprietary battery. I want to stick with AA batteries for flashguns rather than start lugging around another charger and set of spares that can't be used for anything else.

One thing caught me at first. When I swivelled the head, I was surprised by how firm the mechanism is and wondered for a moment if I'd missed a locking release. It's not excessive, just that I'd become accustomed to heads that move very easily. Now I've played with it a bit I find this solidity reassuring. Heads that move with a light touch can also get nudged by accident in jostling crowds, which has happened to me a few times. I'm confident that won't occur with the Godox. The second unit I bought is exactly the same, as it should be.

http://shop.godox.co.uk/products/cflash/tt685.html Claim to be “official U.K. supplier” of Godox products and state they offer a 2 year warranty.

(Caveat ... I’ve no link to that site, nor any knowledge over their reputation)

I saw that site quite recently too, I'm sure it's only opened in the last few weeks. Anybody here bought from them? The first thing I did was try finding it through the main site at http://www.godox.com/EN/ and I looked again just now, can't see any mention of it. I've emailed a query to Godox directly and will post what response I get.

The trader stated on the site is Photomart in Walthamstow. I'll have to make time to pop over and have a look.

Last edited:
Just got the Godox TT350 + X1F trigger well impressed for the cost TT350 can also be used as a trigger with all the other 2.4ghz units in the range

There is plenty of units to choose from and they are cross compatible with Nikon,Canon Fuji,Olympus/Pan & Sony units to name just a few.

Last edited:
£165 from Lencarta with a genuine 3 year warranty

What do you mean genuine warranty Garry ? aren't the others genuine ? also I thought Lencarta only gave out 2 year warranties with Godox gear purchased from them, or am I misinformed.

http://shop.godox.co.uk/products/cflash/tt685.html Claim to be “official U.K. supplier” of Godox products and state they offer a 2 year warranty.

(Caveat ... I’ve no link to that site, nor any knowledge over their reputation)

They're weasel words - sound good, but meaningless. Several other suppliers could claim the same. Godox does not have an official 'sole UK importer and distributor' in the accepted sense, eg Canon UK, Nikon UK, Introphoto, Photopia, Mac Group, Flag Head etc.

Reactions: TG.
What do you mean genuine warranty Garry ? aren't the others genuine ? also I thought Lencarta only gave out 2 year warranties with Godox gear purchased from them, or am I misinformed.
Some of the warranties offered definitely aren't genuine, in that they only cover manufacturing faults, i.e. they don't cover wear and tear - which means that they're warrantied against going wrong unless you use it - and there's one firm that does nothing except tell you the address in China of the factory that made it.
You're right about the Lencarta Warranty, which has changed since I retired, and although the 3 year warranty applies to most items it seems that Godox branded items are now 2 years.

They're weasel words - sound good, but meaningless. Several other suppliers could claim the same. Godox does not have an official 'sole UK importer and distributor' in the accepted sense, eg Canon UK, Nikon UK, Introphoto, Photopia, Mac Group, Flag Head etc.

Surprised they could get the godox.co.uk domain, seems to be registered to Mike Weeks? o_O

It was, but like a lot of info on the Internet it is not an accurate up to date reflection

Mike

So who does own that domain name then?

I bought a TT685C in time for a friend's wedding about a month ago, and liked it so much I've just bought another (both times through Amazon). I found the Godox control interface quicker and more intuitive than models I've used from other third-party value brands. I don't own any high-end Canon flashguns to compare with, and I haven't had time to test the TT685C out thoroughly, but if you're choosing between Godox and third-parties in a similar price range, I think they're the superior of them. I considered the Ving too but rejected it because of the proprietary battery. I want to stick with AA batteries for flashguns rather than start lugging around another charger and set of spares that can't be used for anything else.

One thing caught me at first. When I swivelled the head, I was surprised by how firm the mechanism is and wondered for a moment if I'd missed a locking release. It's not excessive, just that I'd become accustomed to heads that move very easily. Now I've played with it a bit I find this solidity reassuring. Heads that move with a light touch can also get nudged by accident in jostling crowds, which has happened to me a few times. I'm confident that won't occur with the Godox. The second unit I bought is exactly the same, as it should be.

According to what I have found on internet it seems that the 685C cannot do rear curtain sync and HSS whilst on camera, can you confirm that is the case, could be a deal breaker for me as I would probably have it on the camera 90% of the time.
Anyone else found this to be the case ???

I'm willing to bet they're not
For clarity, I should point out that Photomart have now contacted me via FB, telling me that they are in fact an official distributor of Godox, and say "Please remove or ammend your statement, otherwise Photomart will have to take matters further."
They also included two emails from Godox, one from a former employee of theirs and one from a current employee which, at first sight, appear to support their statement.

It would obviously be wrong of me to remove my statement of opinion, so I won't be doing that.
I will make further enquiries from the very best possible source, and once I have that information I should be able to clarify the situation.

According to what I have found on internet it seems that the 685C cannot do rear curtain sync and HSS whilst on camera, can you confirm that is the case, could be a deal breaker for me as I would probably have it on the camera 90% of the time.
I just conducted a quick test of the TT685 on my 6D in second curtain sync and HSS modes. Everything operated as expected - exposed correctly at 1/500 in HSS, and ambient trails recorded behind subject with motion frozen by flash. I've yet to make use of HSS other than tests so I don't know how much I might value it in the future, but lack of second curtain sync would be a deal breaker for me too. I could understand complex flash operations being problematic off-camera, but surely all modes must function when camera-mounted at the very least? If there are any reported problems with this flashgun I'd be interested to know obviously.

Last edited:
I just conducted a quick test of the TT685 on my 6D in second curtain sync and HSS modes. Everything operated as expected - exposed correctly at 1/500 in HSS, and ambient trails recorded behind subject with motion frozen by flash. I've yet to make use of HSS other than tests so I don't know how much I might value it in the future, but lack of second curtain sync would be a deal breaker for me too. I could understand complex flash operations being problematic off-camera, but surely all modes must function when camera-mounted at the very least? If there are any reported problems with this flashgun I'd be interested to know obviously.
Hi Matt, I presume you did the test with the flash on the hotshoe is that correct ?

Sounds unlikely, as Matt has confirmed. Maybe a misunderstanding, do you have a reference for that info?

It's easy to get confused though. Canon's own flash system can't do remote second-curtain sync, I think for historic patent reasons because every third-party brand offers it. And you don't get remote HSS when using the camera's pop-up flash as a master controller.

Godox generally has pretty much everything you can think of, and even some things you maybe haven't, though not all Godox triggers offer identical features. And I don't know this for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if some features found on say Godox Canon triggers are not found on the same Panasonic versions.

Sounds unlikely, as Matt has confirmed. Maybe a misunderstanding, do you have a reference for that info?

It's easy to get confused though. Canon's own flash system can't do remote second-curtain sync, I think for historic patent reasons because every third-party brand offers it. And you don't get remote HSS when using the camera's pop-up flash as a master controller.

Godox generally has pretty much everything you can think of, and even some things you maybe haven't, though not all Godox triggers offer identical features. And I don't know this for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if some features found on say Godox Canon triggers are not found on the same Panasonic versions.

Richard, I have watched so many youtube reviews on both the 685C and the 860 that I am confused myself, I like to do a bit of research before I buy anything, maybe thats my problem... trying to suck in too much info :(

Correct, mounted on the hotshoe. I understood that to be the scenario of concern.

Matt, many thanks for the quick test and quicker reply, if it works on your 6D then I see no reason why it shouldn't on my 80D.

Looks like I will recommend the Godox 865C to her and say thats the one to get, best value for money and cheaper than the Canon which I'm sure she will appreciate.

Just want to say that it is forums like this that make the internet a better place for people who have hobbies like us, you can learn a lot from the community as long as the community gives and this place seems to give quite a lot :)

Back