Advice needed for anniversary present!

Edit My Images
No
Hi, I want to get a new lens for my husband for our anniversary, but need some advice as I know very little about photography!

My husband has a Canon 20d but only has cheap lenses, he mainly likes to take landscapes or bird/wildlife photos. I was thinking about getting something like:
Canon 100-400
Sigma 150-600
Tamron 150-600
Sigma 150-500
(All have IS/OS)

I have read several reviews about each one, (which gave me a headache as I'm not a photographer!) and got the overall impression that the first 3 are much better than the 4th option. However, I am worried that the newer lenses might not work on the old 20d body. Perhaps the sigma 150-500 is more likely to be compatible?

Can anyone help? My previous idea for a present fell through and I'm running out of time...
Thanks in advance!

Of all those lens, I’ve only had the Canon 100-400. Now, I can’t recommend it enough - I love the sharpness, the speed of it, and even the portability! Personally, I’d say thats ne hell of a present.. If the excitement I had when I opened mine is anything to judge by.. Are you getting new, or used by the way? And, they will all work absolutely perfect on his 20D. Have to say, the 20D is bobbing on a bit, but I’m sure its still a capable option. The lens, will last him for years - if not the lifetime! whereas the body won’t - so getting the lens is totally the best option - in my very humble opinion! :)

I have to agree with Lawrence, he will be over the moon at getting the canon 100-400

Personally I'd recommend either the Tamron or Sigma 150-600s, I had a quick dig around and annoyingly couldn't find anything specific but in this review (http://www.lenstip.com/403.4-Lens_r...00_mm_f_5-6.3_Di_VC_USD_Image_resolution.html) they did used the words tested on the Canon 20D.

If you can sneak away for 10 minutes call both Tamron and Sigma, find out directly.

By the way I'm not putting a downer on the 100-400, at one point or another I've owned all of them bar the Sigma 150-600.

Anyway good luck and whatever you go for he'll be thrilled but I'd also half expect a body upgrade at some point too ;)

Just one more thought, I'm not sure (without looking) where you'd get a new 100-400 from as it's been replaced by the mark II, but you could get a used 60D and Tamron 150-600 or Sigma 150-600 C for a shade over £1000 from MPB

Last edited:
Hi, I want to get a new lens for my husband for our anniversary, but need some advice as I know very little about photography!

My husband has a Canon 20d but only has cheap lenses, he mainly likes to take landscapes or bird/wildlife photos. I was thinking about getting something like:
Canon 100-400
Sigma 150-600
Tamron 150-600
Sigma 150-500
(All have IS/OS)

I have read several reviews about each one, (which gave me a headache as I'm not a photographer!) and got the overall impression that the first 3 are much better than the 4th option. However, I am worried that the newer lenses might not work on the old 20d body. Perhaps the sigma 150-500 is more likely to be compatible?

Can anyone help? My previous idea for a present fell through and I'm running out of time...
Thanks in advance!

Well first of, I'm sure he'll love whatever you get him, I'd be very happy to receive something like this as a present :), you don't say if they're new or 2nd hand lenses ? If new, the Canon 100-400 mkii is a stronger of a lens and I'd certainly recommend it...

Another option, might be an upgrade to a new body initially as the 20D is getting on a bit now (still capable, but older technology now) and the newer bodies will be a nice improvement over the 20D...

Yes, the 60D is under £300 at MPB! Astonishing.

It all depends on budget though, now if you were to call them and say it's an anniversary present and explain I'm sure the good folks over there would take it back in the massively unlikely event that he doesn't like it.

Not looked at prices but, for the price of the 100-400, could you maybe get a 60D and one of the other lenses, or get the 100-400 now and a new body for Christmas, 60D or 70D?

I moved to Nikon from Canon, but don't changing system its expensive.

We don't know what kit he has or needs for his shots, sure the extra pixel count is great for landscape and cropping, but without a shed load of storage space and a decent machine with Lightroom or similar it would be a waste

Last edited:
I moved to Nikon from Canon, but don't changing system its expensive.

We don't know what kit he has or needs for his shots, sure the extra pixel count is great for landscape and cropping, but without a shed load of storage space and a decent machine with Lightroom or similar it would be a waste

Canon 20d
Lens #1:
18-55
Lens #2:
75-300

That is in the profile

Fair enough, but still - money aside swapping systems is a big decision and not one I'd advise someone to do for someone else.

Another option although not quite as good as the Tamron\Sigma 150-600 is the Sigma 50-500, its a hell of a range and would leave no gap.

Another consideration could be weight - a couple of stats missing and note the massive difference is the Sigma Sport was on the radar: link

For ease they weigh up as:

1380 g (3.04 lb) - Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
1570 g (3.46 lb) - Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II USM

1951 g (4.30 lb) - Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD

1930 g (4.25 lb) - Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C
2860 g (6.31 lb) - Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S

1970 g (4.34 lb) - Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM
1780 g (3.92 lb) - Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM

Last edited:
Hi, thanks everyone for all the advice! I should have mentioned that I am planning to buy second hand and my budget is around£500-£600 ish. I did buy a sigma 50-500 os from mpb but had to return it as they had listed it wrong and what they sent me didn't have os. From what I've read os is pretty important.

I think I'll go for a Canon 100-400 ... I've seen a couple of second hand ones that are just over £500 that I might be able to get hold of...
Just missed out on a sigma 150-600 on eBay for £625 buy it now, I dithered too long!

A few on eBay at the mo - (link)

Back