Advice on Epson V750

Name
Josh
Edit My Images
No
Sorry to start another scanner thread, I've been doing my research but as with anything opinion based on the internet, it's got confusing quickly..

My Epson Perfection 4490 has given up the ghost so I'm in need of a replacement. I use it mainly for 35mm and 120, for web and prints no bigger than A4. The 4490 worked ok for me, although something more robust that deals with shadows better would be nice. I've found an Epson V750 for sale at 300€, which is described as being clean and in good working order, basically what I want to know is; is that a decent price, and what should I be making sure it comes with?! It's listed as coming with Silverfast 8 SE, which I'm interested in trying as the Epson software doesn't allow too much fine tuning (unless it's been updated since the 4490?), I'm currently using Windows but will be changing to Mac sometime in the future (I don't know if the software is 'tied' to one system?) .

Any advice is much appreciated!

On price - no idea.

On what it comes with - apart from the scanner itself, there should be negative/slide holders (including one for 10x8 which is just a plastic marker!) and or course the white foamy bit that slides inside the lid for document scanning. As far as I recall (having had both 4490 and 700) these parts (including the power supply) should be interchangeable so you may not need them.

I gave up on Epson Scan after a couple of trials, and Silverfast lasted about the same time; I found VueScan better for my purposes. I don't know about the SE edition, but SIlverfast is tied to a specific scanner - I think - meaning that new scanner = buy Silverfast again. I don't know if they capitalise on computer changes as well.

for web and prints no bigger than A4

Hmm a V750 is a bit overkill ;) ...I don't know if 300 euros is a good price, but if you have got the money buy what you like and would just add that the V500\600 might be better for what you need it for.
I have the V750 but don't use it much as the lab scans are equal or better than the V750 and I'm still using the supermarket for my dev and scan, well they use an expensive Fuji frontier scanner and no way can a V750 beat that, although the m\c is set for sharpening which people could dislike.

Looked at fleabay sold prices, none for V750, and most V700 were £275 or higher (one £120 and one £160 though). If you're sticking to 35 and medium then the V500/600 series may be enough, but the V750 will maybe have slightly better resolution, and give options for 4*5 or liquid mounting, I think. Silverfast is more powerful than most scanning software, so if you buy it, try SF, but like @StephenM I prefer Vuescan Pro, which covers all the scanners I have or am ever likely to have with the same (also slightly odd) interface.

I paid £399 for mine used from wex two years ago. It's served me well so far, primarily scanning 120 film. I've found that vuescan seems to do a better job than both silverfast and the bundled epson scanning software. It's particularly good when outputting raw scans as DNG files. 35mm scans off it aren't a patch on the nikon LS-50 I had for few years but similar to my older minolta scan dual III. A 750 should come with a copy of silverfast, which AFAIK is the main difference between the V700 and the V750.

Yeah, I suppose it is a bit much for my needs, but (and I should've probably put this in the original message), I live in Finland, it's pretty slim pickings on the market here for equipment. The only other options I've found is a V800 for 500€, and a V550 for 200€, so I figured the 750 was the best value for money from whats available.

I'm currently using Windows but will be changing to Mac sometime in the future (I don't know if the software is 'tied' to one system?) .

FWIW Vuescan's Pro licence allows you to use it on up to four computers, any OS.

https://www.hamrick.com/reg.html

I have a V750 which I bought new a few years ago.

Epson Scan was quite easy to use but with limited options, Silverfast more trouble than it was worth IME. I use it now with Vuescan for medium format, for which it's quite effective. I capture to RAW and then do the heavy lifting of my processing in Lightroom.

For 35mm I've moved to using a 50mm macro lens and bellows as I get better results with less effort than with the V750. Certainly a lot quicker with slide film.

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...7-as-a-35mm-film-scanner.520691/#post-6023537

Back