Beginner Advice on first camera

Name
Leah
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,

I am a complete beginner looking to buy my first proper DSLR camera to start learning on. I hoping to learn the camera basics myself, and once familiar with the camera, to do a course or two to develop my skills with the view of becoming a professional photographer. I have always enjoyed taking photographs, and about 6 years ago bought a camera (now broken), and since then have just taken photographs on my phone, which really have made me want to take this further.

I am looking ideally to get into studio photography/ newborn photography/ birth photography and pet photography.

Could anyone give me some advice and examples of good cameras for a beginner, ideally under £150, can buy refurbished etc. Just something that will ease me in, without being too complicated, but still allow me to develop my abilities.

Thank you all!

Under £150 won't really get you anything decent, let alone a lens to fit to it I'm afraid...

For £150 you'll need to take whatever you can get. Possibilities include the Canon 1000D, Nikon D60 and Pentax K10D. As of the moment, the London Camera Exchange (https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Secondha...ype=Digital+SLR+Cameras&Location=&Results=250) has examples of all three.

The best way to learn is to put the camera on program/full auto mode and fire away. Once you're confident that you can "see" a picture, you will want to experiment with other modes.

I started with a camera costing much the same (allowing for inflation) forty five years ago and quite quickly became a working press/commercial photographer. That camera was extremely primitive compared with the models I mentioned above but it took pictures that people bought.

You'll find it much harder to get started now but if you're determined enough it's possible you'll succeed.

Thank you both. Hmm, I know that £150 is tight, and I would expect to be paying into the thousands once I am fully confident and ready to buy a camera to use professionally, but was hoping to find something suitable for learning on competently within my budget.

And yes, I can imagine it takes determination to start out but I do have it, and luckily I have the time to put into learning and developing a portfolio before looking into making it my career :)

That Nikon D200 in the list linked to, coupled with a used Nikon 50mm f1.8 lens should come in budget or thereabouts and be more than enough equipment to allow you to explore your creativity.

Thank you, I am looking on eBay. I assume the D300 is slightly better, but more expensive? I mean I am willing to splash out a little more, but I kind of feel as a real beginner just incase I end up feeling it isn't for me, I'd rather not spend too much.

Gawd, the whole lenses confuse me. I am reading up right now but I have so much to learn!

Last edited:
It's a shame your budget is so low, I myself bought the Canon EOS 1300D for £299 at Jessops complete with 18-55mm kit lens, brand new, a fantastic starter Dslr, I'm sure you'll be able to find it much cheaper by looking around.

Thank you, would that be good for a beginner?

To be honest, if for say £250 I could get a much much better camera that will allow me to learn on and begin to take great photographs I would increase my budget.

To be honest, if for say £250 I could get a much much better camera that will allow me to learn on and begin to take great photographs I would increase my budget.

When I just started in Digital photography my first camera was the canon 1100D which I still use to this day, then I upgraded to the 70D and over the years I have got the lenses to cover all my focal distance I want.

Yes £250 could really help set you up nicely.

Thanks Dave! I am looking for, should be able to get the camera and lens for about £150. But will up my budget, might make a new thread with my new budget too :)

Thanks Dave! I am looking for, should be able to get the camera and lens for about £150. But will up my budget, might make a new thread with my new budget too :)

You are welcome Leah, once you get a camera then put up some photos, and any of the great members here will give great Help and Advice :)

My first dslr was the Canon 400D and the kit lens but it was always just a camera until I got the 50mm 1.8 and then things took off. The faster lens and shallower depth of field of the 50mm made a big difference for my advancements in photography but everyone is different of course.

Just get a camera and get out and practice.

Think about making money when you know whether you actually enjoy it and have some talent.

Photography isn't about cameras, it's about photographs.

Back