Afghanistan

Now all I need is some Balvenie 15yr malt and I'm all set for Festive-Time...

But no...we're having a Non-Denominational Mid-Winter Festivity Period instead...
which means it starts tonight! Winter Solstice!

Have you made your Christingle yet ?

Santa is heading your way btw, stay safe and hopefully warm.

From Paulie-W - box of...boxes, DVDs, Earl-Grey tea and chewing-gum...many thanks - those air-tight containers will be used to transport loose tea around...I was woindering how I was going to do that...

From Dougie, another 40 million magazines - some of these haven't been read yet, you naughty fellow - don't go buying stuff for me, just pass it on when you've read it...lol

Ahhh...The Scottish Sporting Gazette - that's actually going to be very useful indeed...as we have to put together something for the Scottish Sun amongst other publications over Xmas... they'll love this...

Now all I need is some Balvenie 15yr malt and I'm all set for Festive-Time...

But no...we're having a Non-Denominational Mid-Winter Festivity Period instead...
which means it starts tonight! Winter Solstice!

They have all been read, Rob. I have enrolled others to supply me with mags. That's how I get a lot.
You would have had Practical Photography too, but I spilled a glass of wine on it.

From Paulie-W - box of...boxes, DVDs, Earl-Grey tea and chewing-gum...many thanks - those air-tight containers will be used to transport loose tea around...I was woindering how I was going to do that...

Ever practical :LOL:

You're more than welcome mate (y)

They have all been read, Rob. I have enrolled others to supply me with mags. That's how I get a lot.
You would have had Practical Photography too, but I spilled a glass of wine on it.

Should have sent it anyway...I could have re-hydrated it in a bucket of water and had a nice drink for Xmas!!!

David - I recieved a parcel about two and a half months ago with a DVD of e-books amongst other things - all the Bernard Cornwell books were on that one - is that the one you mean or was there a second parcel?
When did you send it?

I never sent any bernard cromwell books just some dvds bought a month back but I have a sneaky suspicion local PO have lost it as phil (postie) was bemoaning van trouble around that time

I never sent any bernard cromwell books just some dvds bought a month back but I have a sneaky suspicion local PO have lost it as phil (postie) was bemoaning van trouble around that time

They were on the DVD with all the other books, I think - I get confused as there have been so many parcels sent - usually I'll get maybe four or five in an entire 6 month Tour - this time it's been four or five a week!!!

Rob- can you copy the e book DVD if you find time- need some new ones for my iPhone!!
Stay low

Just noticed this thread, when will you be coming back home? Hope your all safe and well.

Going to send a general package for you to share out but is there anything you need at the moment?

Nothing really - up to my eyeballs in wet-wipes and toothpaste...
No more shaving-gel either...

Maybe some Highland Shortbread (aka the crack-cocaine of the biscuit world)...?

Or anything you feel like - it's all very much appreciated...

Nothing really - up to my eyeballs in wet-wipes and toothpaste...
No more shaving-gel either...

What you do in the privacy of your own "pit" is up to you.;)

Maybe some Highland Shortbread (aka the crack-cocaine of the biscuit world)...?

Oh I totally agree!! I've been eating that all holidays! I can definitely send shortbread (hope it gets there in one piece..) plus whatever I can scrounge off work!

Just offer Highland shortbread to any taliban who lay down their arms.. problem sorted.

lol...

OK parcels:
more mags from Dougie, (I thank you - The Field - £45,000 for a bloody shotgun???? WTF???) plus my own personal VR 70-200 f/2.8 which came back to me after 6 weeks as Royal Mail are saying that recorded delivery isn't available in Germany...apart from the fact that it is...I've bloody used it.
Oh and I'll be lucky to get my £15 postage reimbursed as the 'stamps have been used'...
They didn't effin' deliver it!

Now looking at killing someone...very slowly...
Or maybe using some of these 300 buck-shee 9mm rounds I scored...bout time I test-fired the Sig... :cautious:
Muddy-Funkers...

lol...

OK parcels:
more mags from Dougie, (I thank you - The Field - £45,000 for a bloody shotgun???? WTF???) plus my own personal VR 70-200 f/2.8 which came back to me after 6 weeks as Royal Mail are saying that recorded delivery isn't available in Germany...apart from the fact that it is...I've bloody used it.
Oh and I'll be lucky to get my £15 postage reimbursed as the 'stamps have been used'...
They didn't effin' deliver it!

Now looking at killing someone...very slowly...
Or maybe using some of these 300 buck-shee 9mm rounds I scored...bout time I test-fired the Sig... :cautious:
Muddy-Funkers...

Article in AP that arrived dropped through the letterbox on Saturday. Army photographer Sgt. Daniel Harmer.
Big pic of a soldier firing a "combat shotgun" (definately not a Purdey).
I'll post it out tomorrow, Rob.

Dougie - even more mags...mmmm...luvverly...another D3s review...

Problem: Supercharger or D3s...hmmmm...

Scotty - Stollen Cake!!! German Stickies...and toothbrushes to get all the resulting plaque off with...
Awesome.
No idea when that was posted but it arrived today.

I'll copy that DVD for you and send it with the car-keys, mate...

That was sent about 2 wks before xmas, and from BFPO too, shame it took so long.
thought you might like the stolly, I miss it already (must try aldi)

Off 'out' for another 10 days.
taking a BGAN, but last time it wouldn't work - so 50-50 as to whether i'll be online 'tween now and the 2nd Feb.

Off 'out' for another 10 days.
taking a BGAN, but last time it wouldn't work - so 50-50 as to whether i'll be online 'tween now and the 2nd Feb.

It is supposed to have coverage over the entire planet.

That was sent about 2 wks before xmas, and from BFPO too, shame it took so long.
thought you might like the stolly, I miss it already (must try aldi)

we get our stollen from Lidl & very nice it is as well

It is supposed to have coverage over the entire planet.

It does - but getting our shagged-out kit to actually work is another matter.
I've got it set up here in the PB for the boys to use as they've had no welfare facility since their Thoraya sat-phone broke last month - it's getting a proper hammering as the boys beast the **** out of Facebook...lol

Getting some 'proper' contacts here while working with the OMLT and Afghan Army boys...
Today I'm just working on my tan and listening to someone else's war about 1.5km away as Amber 1-1 were getting their PB spanked by Terry half an hour ago...:LOL:
We were with them just 2 days ago and are now yelling down the radio to 'Carbs', the Pl Sgt that he's a poof for not going out and chasing after them...lol

Sounds a bit lively, Rob.
Keep these D3's safe.

Sounds a bit lively, Rob.
Keep these D3's safe.

lol...The jeweller's screwdriver's are working overtime now as some of the body-screws are starting to work loose (on the same body - maybe a duff batch of loc-tite there). Replaced the missing screw on D3 #1 courtesy of a new one from Nikon UK and dispensed with the patch of gaffer-tape.
Now using more gaffer-tape to seal the lenses' focus-rings as water and mud is an issue from crawling through the now-flooded irrigation ditches in all the fields.
Also a lens-mount screw came a bit loose and caused a 'nearly' jammed lens, til I noticed it was standing a bit 'proud'...
Other than that, all the kit is working fine. 'Mechanicals' I can handle myself - it's electronics that would be a drama if they failed.
Still loving the high-iso range of the D3 for all the indoor portraits of Afghans I've been doing during the past couple of weeks...
My laptop is temporarily dead, so no processing til I get back to Lash - this is a borrowed laptop and I'm connecting via my BGAN, which I've lent out to the lads so they can 'beast' facebook for a while...

shoulda gone Canon :p

shoulda gone Canon :p

:thinking: what and have a useless doorstop instead of a working camera...?

Loose screws are a fact of life when you've spent the last four months in and out of helicopters, hanging onto armoured vehicles, crashing over compound walls and running across muddy, ploughed fields while bored 19-year olds fire AKs and RPGs at you...

My cameras are almost constantly smashing into each other, door-frames, armoured doors on mastiffs, compound walls and my bloody rifle slung on my shoulder...
That's on an easy day...

I'd rather have a camera that works and can take the knocks with a loose screw now and then (that I can tighten-up when I do my daily cleaning) than a camera that packs-in for no reason whatsoever...

Like I've always said - I have no issues with Canon's image-quality, but I wouldn't bring one out here on a job - I've seen too many go down.
But then I wouldn't use any other Nikon than the top-end bodies either...

I could whitewash it and say they NEVER go wrong, that nothing EVER comes loose, that they perform PERFECTLY at all times, but I'm honest about how the kit I use performs so others can make up thier own minds...

Anything that's been assembled can always be disassembled under the right (or wrong) set of conditions...

Guessing my parcel hasn't arrived yet! They are probly still trying to get rid of the backlog. Hope it gets to you soon.

Derek_F- Glad you liked lidl Stollen! I work there and I agree its great, we got so much in we are still selling it!

Take Care

I'm out of office for at least another 10 days, so post may be waiting for me in Lash...
Read the papers - esp Sunday Times - working with Miles Amoore atm and out with Brigade Recce Force.

You take care out there,have been reading your hairy moments on FB

Back in Lash for 24 hours to pack all my R&R kit before the 'Big Op'...

LOTS of Shortbread from Dougie, as well as lots of magazines - cheers matey (woot!)...

27 bags of mail came up on the Merlin flight with me, so there may be some more stuff for me that hasn't been sorted yet - might get some more by tonight, but I magine the poor postie is a little overwhelmed right now.
Still clearing the Xmas backlog by the look of some of the parcels in the bags...lol

Rob, go see your local GunGod, they will have loctite on them (or they should)
in fact it may well be a mate of mine, named like a common garden bird, I know he was at lash

Just sat in bed, reading the whole of this thread (not sure how I managed to miss it before) and feel really proud to know (of) you and am also thrilled at how fantastic the folk on here are. I will be sending a parcel out as soon as I can, too.

I keep an eye on your Flickr page regularly.......not sure if it is ok to say how good the images are given the subject matter, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

Keep safe,

xx

Back