Afghanistan

As I'm on R&R from the 19th and then back to basically pack up and hand-over to my successor on the 26th march, it might not be worthwhile sending any more parcels out to me...

'Generic' welfare parcels for 'Our Boys' are always welcome though... Post-Office will tell you the correct address...

As I'm on R&R from the 19th and then back to basically pack up and hand-over to my successor on the 26th march, it might not be worthwhile sending any more parcels out to me...

'Generic' welfare parcels for 'Our Boys' are always welcome though... Post-Office will tell you the correct address...

Noted Rob - local Postmistress had just got used to the sending process.

stay safe - always like looking at your pics. from the "warm" zones.......... sounds like all going to kick off bigtime soon, so mind your arse mate!

dude keep your head down and look after yourself, if push comes to shove throw that useless piece of rubbish you call a camera at em lmao sorry i had to! stay safe though mate =)

Five lads coming home early tonight.
Pay your respects if you can...

God bless them R.I.P.lads,thoughts to all their families and to all the others that have lost their lives.

Last edited:
Certainly will Rob.

Some friends of mine are arranging another Help for Heroes event in Leeds and unfortunately I can't make it but I will be trying to meet up for a coffee so I can hand over my donation.

My other half is also arranging a huge shipment of comics for the lads, he works for Royal Mail so is getting the transport sorted, so far between 3000 and 4000 comics and another shipment in May.

**** :( RIP lads :(

There's not a lot you can say Rob that makes any sense of it. Words don't help much. But we are thinking about you and your mates out there.

OK then...
As of now I'm End Of Tour (EOT). This means I'm off home and not coming back here again.
It's a long, tedious story and the short version is: this is not my decision and not one I welcome.
I'll be going back to Aldershot initially, then on Leave, then posted to Herford in Germany on 1st June as planned...

If you have just sent parcels, then they may be redirected (I'm annoyed as I just dropped £100 on Amazon goodies which I may never see...), but equally may end up disappearing altogether.

If you still wish to support the troops out here in theatre, please address all future packages to:

Army Combat Camera Team
TFH Media Ops
Camp Bastion (1)
BFPO 792

That way the shooters will get any goodies, not the chairborne commandos who've just managed to **** my Tour up for me...

Oh ****! I can only imagine...

That's a lot of leave to get in. I know it's not what you would have wished for but look to the future - not the past, even the recent past.

Best wishes.

John

Rob .. great you are getting out in one piece mate. sad that it ended like this.. cob heads .thanks for everything, you gav us all a really fantastic insight into a world we did not know..
what we gonna do now??

take care.

Terri

Sorry to hear about your tour being pulled out from under your feet, I just hope this isn't due to you getting into any harm! I also hope your next endeavours are less stressful & violent.

Rob,
Main thing is that you are out in one piece. You'll find other adventures.

Rob,

I have nothing but admiration for you and all the other guys over there who put their lives at risk every day. It really says something about your professionalism that being pulled out of such an incredibly dangerous environment, that most of us wouldn't want to go anywhere near, leaves you so upset.

Your pictures have been a real eye opener. Good luck for the future what ever it brings.

Mark

The main thing is you are coming home mate and after your celebrations with family, how about some of us guys here at TP come down and take you on the drink of your life

Rob .. great you are getting out in one piece mate. sad that it ended like this.. cob heads .thanks for everything, you gav us all a really fantastic insight into a world we did not know..
what we gonna do now??

take care.

Terri

:agree::ty:
Thanks for the true insight Rob, we are happy if you are sad.

Last edited:
The main thing is you are coming home mate and after your celebrations with family, how about some of us guys here at TP come down and take you on the drink of your life

Looks like I'll be at the Help For Heroes event in Leeds next month...see some of you there, I expect...as for the rest of you, I'll be making frequent trips back and forth, so I think a series of curry-beer extravaganzas will be likely...

Well, your car started first time.
Keys waiting
see you in a few days

Looks like I'll be at the Help For Heroes event in Leeds next month...see some of you there, I expect...as for the rest of you, I'll be making frequent trips back and forth, so I think a series of curry-beer extravaganzas will be likely...

Have not heard about this Rob have you got the dates and if its a weekend we can make it there mate(y)

I am an ex forces man speaking (Royal east anglian Infantry) and alough as soldiers we are not really allowed to have opinions about the tours we are sent in to, we just have to get on with it. speaking in all honesty, I think the afghan war is very important for bringing peace to the region and also using "hearts and minds" to sway locals to join coalition forces and not give in to taliban forces.

However I also believe that the national security of England is still a serious security risk. The point that we are fighting an enemy thousands of miles away from our homeland that really does not prove to be any risk to us is very frustrating when we have terrorist cells that live no more than 500 yards away from where we live and are mixing C4 in their bathtubs. They have honest jobs such as doctors, lawyers, and the like and say good morning to you as you leave for work and seem the friendly neighbours who live next door. These are the real enemy and the biggest threat to us and they are here on our doorstep. I know we hear a lot on the news about scotland yard intercepting terrorist cells and police raiding houses, but i really don't think enough is done to protect our safety. After all a real enemy can infiltrate its target, gain trust and strike when the victim is most vulnerable. We have been very lucky so far when it comes to police raids and british terrorists being arrested before they achieve their goal, but we all must remember, its only going to be a matter of time before they do get lucky and we have another 9/11 or london tube bombing on our hands. The real enemy is here living amoung us and not thousands of miles away. I hope i do not upset anyone with this post, but unfortunatly if you agree with me or not, it is the reality of the situation.

Home now - can we 'un-sticky' this thread now please?

I'll be doing the rounds this month and during the Summer, to thank in person as many of you as I can, those of you who supported me during my Tour...

Thanks again to you all...

Last edited:

I'll be doing the rounds this month and during the Summer, to thank in person as many of you as I can, those of you who supported me during my Tour...

Welcome home Rob:clap::clap::clap:

how will oof be complete

Glad you are home OK Rob.

I did not even realise until this Friday, that my kids primary school has been doing boxes for Soldiers in the Royal Anglians.

We have been told that someone from the regiment will come down to the school when the current tour is complete.

So far, so good:
Malt whisky: tick
Curry: tick
Under-Duvet adventures: tick
Flolloped on sofa: tick
Spent half my Operational Bonus before I've even got it in the bank: TICK...lol

Now someone buy my minty D3x so I can get a cheaper camera, please?

So far, so good:
Malt whisky: tick
Curry: tick
Under-Duvet adventures: tick
Flolloped on sofa: tick
Spent half my Operational Bonus before I've even got it in the bank: TICK...lol

Now someone buy my minty D3x so I can get a cheaper camera, please?

Welcome back Rob.
A D3s is a little cheaper..:D

Kev.

Back