Afghanistan

There's lots of photos in the papers today from the scenes after the shooting. One particularly poignant one was on the front page of the Mail, of a soldiers bloodied equipment. Were any of the photos yours Rob?

No - photos were video 'grabs' from footage shot by a PA reporter in Bastion...

The thoughts of my family and I go out to you and your comrades Arkady. Keep your head down and your powder dry.

Rob, if you dont mind me asking, whats the general impression that you guys have of the ANP over there?

Thinking of you all and the friends and families of those affected.

It sends a shiver down my spine at the thought of the war, but TBH, when there's someone that you interact with, fiend, family or other it's terrifying. ( also have a few mates in the army and uncle was in the RAF)

Rob, if you dont mind me asking, whats the general impression that you guys have of the ANP over there?

Under-paid and under-appreciated.
The Afghan Army gets all the goodies while the Police - the ones who actually catch criminals, get pushed to the side...
A Police colonel I spoke to in 2005 told us he was only paid $80 per month, whereas an Army colonel was paid $800 per month...

So if his guys take a few bribes, it's understandable...they have to put bread on the table after all...

This latest? Well the jury's still out - a 'sleeper' would have done better to have waited for a high-profile target - though it's hit the headlines in a big enough way already...
It may turn out to be someone who was just disgruntled enough to go ape on everyone - I saw an Iraqi police officer shoot another in the throat last year in an argument over a football match...the victim died in hospital...no-one seemed to think it out of the ordinary...

Also, people here settle minor grudges with firearms - he may have been on the end of a percieved or real slight and felt his honour demanded action...

These guys play by Real Men's Rules: a Man's Honour is worth killing over in this part of the world - and it wasn't that long ago that an English Gentleman carried a sword and knew how to use it...

Suspected that, they're tough as old boots aren't they, comes with having been in a state of conflict for all their lives.
The guy looks like he may have run off to the Taliban becasue he hasn't got anywhere else to go, the Talib's are making a meal of it, saying he was with them all the time....from what you''ve seen, guns being used to resolve disputes, he may have just let rip and our lads got caught up....devastatingly so:(

Rob, do you think there may be change of procedure out there now, where ISAF troops will no longer remove body armour and weapons if they are in Afghan compounds and armed Afghani's are around (ANA & ANP)?

I take it when you are in an ISAF Camp like Bastion, there aren't any armed ANP & ANA in there?
From what ive read, they have an ANA Camp Tombstone, thats kind of attached to Bastion, where the mentoring Teams live, on one side, is that right?.....

Suspected that, they're tough as old boots aren't they, comes with having been in a state of conflict for all their lives.
The guy looks like he may have run off to the Taliban becasue he hasn't got anywhere else to go, the Talib's are making a meal of it, saying he was with them all the time....from what you''ve seen, guns being used to resolve disputes, he may have just let rip and our lads got caught up....devastatingly so:(

Rob, do you think there may be change of procedure out there now, where ISAF troops will no longer remove body armour and weapons if they are in Afghan compounds and armed Afghani's are around (ANA & ANP)?

I take it when you are in an ISAF Camp like Bastion, there aren't any armed ANP & ANA in there?
From what ive read, they have an ANA Camp Tombstone, thats kind of attached to Bastion, where the mentoring Teams live, on one side, is that right?.....

Whether planned or spur of the moment, the Talib were quick to claim responsibility and to say they had others planted. Perfect opportunuity to spread mistrust.

Watch your backs.

On a lighter note - I have just been on a death or glory raid of our not so local Starbucks, 4 bags of beans coming your way, (with a tentative promise of more to follow) along with half of Tescos (my wife's been shopping, you'll be better catered for then me in few weeks time!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
The lad that was killed on Thursday is the husband of a friend of mine it hits home harder when you know them RIP guys. Thought are with all the families, will be wearing my poppy with pride. Rob stay safe.

On a lighter note - I have just been on a death or glory raid of our not so local Starbucks, 4 bags of beans coming your way, (with a tentative promise of more to follow) along with half of Tescos (my wife's been shopping, you'll be better catered for then me in few weeks time!!)

Thinking of starbucks, we havent heard a thing since the email............pity.

sorry Rob:shrug:

Hurrah!

Oh and as regards not taking body-armour off inside compounds...?
If you'd ever worn it, you'll understand why we'll happily take that risk...lol
It offers fantastic protection, but at the expense of some manouevrability - getting in and out of the armoured 'civvy' 4x4's is a matter of some entertainment as the chest plate doesn't allow you to bend your head forward...lol

:LOL: I see a new challenege coming on - which soldier can get in and out of a Lotus Elise in full body armour - edinburgh gary has one I am sure he will send over for the event :naughty: ;)

Just getting together another package Rob, any other teas you want while I am at it?

:LOL: I see a new challenege coming on - which soldier can get in and out of a Lotus Elise in full body armour - edinburgh gary has one I am sure he will send over for the event :naughty: ;)

Just getting together another package Rob, any other teas you want while I am at it?

mmm...some Earl Grey would be nice, along with the Lapsang...:)

Lotus would last about 50m before the suspension gave out over here - anything with 'normal' suspension, in fact would die in minutes...lol

as poignant(sp) as today has been, i would be interesting to know of the shots Rob has taken that made the press!

My images are in The Times and The Sun.

Aslo various online locations, BBC, Sky etc..

On the BBC news of the Remembrance Service at Camp Bastion there was a Army photographer working away in the background. Was that you perchance?

are they your pic's on the army website? and just seen the news from the weekend on that site take care, thinking of you all out there

Rob,
On a lighter note - in your Afgan flickr set, I love the "Hows my driving?" one on the side of that Jackal....made me laugh out loud.....a few times....

Not me at Bastion - an RAF Phot up from Qatar to cover things while the CCT were out in Musa-Q'aleh - that b*****d got front page of the Indy today...

All mine were from Lashkar Gar - the Bag-Piper and the ones of the Brigadier laying the wreath - most went out under a PA credit...

Yes, lots of mine on the Army site...

Dougie - three more packages today including the book about that Austrian fella...
Cheers Muchly...

Dougie - three more packages today including the book about that Austrian fella...
Cheers Muchly...

Enjoy the read, Rob.

Hope you all get good grub out there.

Filters will go in the post tomorrow Rob. Sorry for the daley, got caught up visiting family at the weekend.

Hope you're well.

*ahem* - if anyone feels like sending out a packet of Lapsang Souchong leaf tea (not bags), I'd be most grateful...:nuts:

Did a rare trip to the vast metropolis of Horsham today :eek: (I hate Shopping)
Whittards had a special offer of 3 for the price of 2 so you have 3 packets of said loose tea on it's way tomorrow just got to pack and post it (y)

Did a rare trip to the vast metropolis of Horsham today :eek: (I hate Shopping)
Whittards had a special offer of 3 for the price of 2 so you have 3 packets of said loose tea on it's way tomorrow just got to pack and post it (y)

Very Cool...:)

Arrived yestersay:
Series 2 of Life and some movies - Watched Star Trek again with Russ last night and found even more in-jokes and references that when I saw it in the Cinema - still looking for RD-D2 when he drops off his motorbike though...
(y)

I see there's a quote from a certain Sgt Rob Knight on page7 of the Mail today under a photo of soldiers observing the two minute silence.

"Its important to take a pause every now and then, even when we are on operations, not just because of the people that have been killed here but because of the people in the past that have made the ultimate sacrifice" he said.

I see there's a quote from a certain Sgt Rob Knight on page7 of the Mail today under a photo of soldiers observing the two minute silence.

"Its important to take a pause every now and then, even when we are on operations, not just because of the people that have been killed here but because of the people in the past that have made the ultimate sacrifice" he said.

It's almost what he said...
...what he actually said was..."oh sod off Joe, I can't be arsed with all that now...Oh alright then...if you make the brews..."

I do think that Armistice Day is more than about current Ops however...as a soldier we perhaps feel a greater connection with those who fell during the 20th Century Wars, fighting to try and make the World a better place to live in...and knowing they'd never see it for themselves...

You take care out there Rob.

Presumably the Taliban are still in Lashkar-Gah and surrounding areas? Thought they were flushed from that area? :thinking:

Mark

You take care out there Rob.

Presumably the Taliban are still in Lashkar-Gah and surrounding areas? Thought they were flushed from that area? :thinking:

Mark

Yes they are...no they weren't - not entirely...The local $10-Taleban will commute a little bit...

Dougie - more mags arrived this afternoon - Trout & Salmon...good stuff - Boss is keen to target 'niche' publications - so I'm currently walking round with copies of Take a Break, Country Life, Horse & Hounds etc photgraphing innocent bystanders 'reading' said publications... fark me rigid - has it really come to this?

On the plus side - Real War starts saturday...woot
On the Minus side - on stag at 03.00-05.00hrs: a real cake and *rse party this is...lol Everyone from Major on down is doing routine guard duty in the sangars here on the Brigadier's orders - natch he isn't stagging on - his 'leading from the front' doesn't extend that far...

Dougie - more mags arrived this afternoon - Trout & Salmon...good stuff - Boss is keen to target 'niche' publications - so I'm currently walking round with copies of Take a Break, Country Life, Horse & Hounds etc photgraphing innocent bystanders 'reading' said publications... fark me rigid - has it really come to this?

On the plus side - Real War starts saturday...woot
On the Minus side - on stag at 03.00-05.00hrs: a real cake and *rse party this is...lol Everyone from Major on down is doing routine guard duty in the sangars here on the Brigadier's orders - natch he isn't stagging on - his 'leading from the front' doesn't extend that far...

Cheers Rob - some more sent winging towards you today.
Stay alert.
Best wishes to all our folks and allies over there.

Back