Agfa Vista Challenge

I've got a V500 so setting adjustments would be helpful. When ever I scan things they end up with fairly neutral colours... Apart from the Velvia!

Not sure about settings for the V500, are you using Silverfast, Vuescan or Epson's own software?

Yeah thats the one I use normally, just wondering if there was something better for this stuff.

I've decided I can't really be bother rescanning them all so I've got 6 that asda haven't completely mucked up and I'll post them in the morning. I reserve the right to rescan them and post better versions or other ones completely after I change my mind tomorrow...

Yeah thats the one I use normally, just wondering if there was something better for this stuff.

I've decided I can't really be bother rescanning them all so I've got 6 that asda haven't completely mucked up and I'll post them in the morning. I reserve the right to rescan them and post better versions or other ones completely after I change my mind tomorrow...

Well you might have a carp Asda...but why don't you get them to scan the negs to a CD....how can a V500 compete with a £24,000 Fuji frontier machine. I don't bother with my V750 as the Asda are equal and most times produce better scans which are good enough for a computer screen.....of course with a low scan you can't have large crops so you would need to take more care in the original camera shot.

Asda dev and scan, all I've done is reduced the gamma and contrast but the film was REALA.
flek191000px.jpg

flek51000px-3.jpg

Last edited:
I do get them to scan them, I just end up having to scan them again normally. Last time the frames weren't aligned so the top of one photo and the bottom of the next were in the same jpeg. They're normally just grainer, noisier and more oddly coloured than when I do them my self. Today they're actually not bad, though I might redo a couple of them...

I do get them to scan them, I just end up having to scan them again normally. Last time the frames weren't aligned so the top of one photo and the bottom of the next were in the same jpeg. They're normally just grainer, noisier and more oddly coloured than when I do them my self. Today they're actually not bad, though I might redo a couple of them...

Oh well..... you are unlucky to have a poor Asda near you. BTW I use to get very good results from Tesco (they used the same machines) but they send them away now to be done.

Yeah, I suppose you pay for consistency so I'll live with the quality and rescan them when needed.

It's nice when the girl at my Asda can dev and scan to separate cds.... six rolls of 36exp in 1hr 10mins while I shop or have a nap in my car or in the sunshine on the grass.
Her record for one film is 24mins if it's quiet.

Your asda sound far more organised than mine. I often have to go to the customer service desk just to get some one to deal with me.

Actually one thing I've noticed is these are less marked and dusty than normal and much better in that regard than the ones I scan. I wonder if the machine has had some routine maintenance.

Your asda sound far more organised than mine. I often have to go to the customer service desk just to get some one to deal with me.

Actually one thing I've noticed is these are less marked and dusty than normal and much better in that regard than the ones I scan. I wonder if the machine has had some routine maintenance.

Assuming no gunge on the negs or scanner glass, it's essential you use a rocket blower on the neg and glass.

Posted a couple of shots for the moment in the results section....

Shot with an "Agfa Silette Rapid I" camera....sort of in keeping with using Agfa film!

May change them or add some more before the challenge ends.

Only used part of the roll of film so tempted to try the rest through a different camera.

Last edited:
Thanks to Nick and the Gold-plated Royal Mail (as far as prices go, anyway), I have my roll of Agfa Vista, and have loaded it... and managed to shoot only half a dozen shots, while the leaves are blowing away every day. :shake:

However, when loading it I noticed that the film cassette had this on it: "Process AP70 - CN16 - C41". I know what C41 is; are the others synonyms, or is this a suggestion for cross-processing?

(Public service message: please bear in mind in any reply, that I've never yet managed to process a film on my own, so not much up on the technicalities. Thanks!)

However, when loading it I noticed that the film cassette had this on it: "Process AP70 - CN16 - C41". I know what C41 is; are the others synonyms, or is this a suggestion for cross-processing?

(Public service message: please bear in mind in any reply, that I've never yet managed to process a film on my own, so not much up on the technicalities. Thanks!)

I believe that they are other names for the C-41 Process. It was also known as CN-16 by Fuji, CNK-4 by Konica, and AP-70 by AGFA

Thanks to Nick and the Gold-plated Royal Mail (as far as prices go, anyway), I have my roll of Agfa Vista, and have loaded it... and managed to shoot only half a dozen shots, while the leaves are blowing away every day. :shake:

Glad it got there, it's a bit slow even for snail mail.

I believe that they are other names for the C-41 Process. It was also known as CN-16 by Fuji, CNK-4 by Konica, and AP-70 by AGFA

Good knowledge Rob (y)

Well you learn something new every day........I just luv students, they're so knowledgable! :D

Thanks for sharing Rob (y)

The equivalent is on slide film - the E6 process had different names depending on the manufacturer of the chemicals I believe.

The equivalent is on slide film - the E6 process had different names depending on the manufacturer of the chemicals I believe.

All of the processes for C-41 and E-6 will produce the same end result unless you were to very precisely analyse them under a densiometer for minute changes, I do know that Fuji's version of E-6 (CR-56 or C6R) is very very slightly different in the first developer and with Velvia 50 will produce a density range of 0.2 - 90 whilst with Kodak chemistry apparently it develops with a density of about 0.8 - 92 so very slightly more (practically unnoticeable) detail in the shadows but slightly less highlight detail compared to Kodak E-6. Putting that aside though, the end result is the same unless you were to analyse the negs/slides with laboratory optical equipment.

I'm not sure how many are left to add to this, but I quite enjoyed this challenge, and particularly using an unfamiliar film. The results are not too shabby, either...

I wondered about another challenge; I have not heard many people talk about the C41 mono films, and I've not used them myself. So I did wonder about getting people to use a roll. I think they're all ISO 400, so it's the right time of year for it. If we get enough takers we could split between Ilford XP2 and the Kodak BW400CN (or whatever). And isn't there a Fuji one as well?

I just thought it would be interesting to compare how they come out. What d'you think?

Mine are still to come, haven't had a chance to go and pick the negs and CD up yet. Hopefully by the weekend though. Assuming of course I managed to capture something:LOL:

I've still got to finish up the darned film. It's seems to be always either dark or raining and the weekend was a write off as little ebilpirate, (midshipman pirate), decided that sleep was an outmoded concept.

Ill finish up tomorrow and try out my local snappy snaps for dev and scan. I've been meaning to try them for a while.

Andy

Last edited:
Oops......

I'm not sure how many are left to add to this, but I quite enjoyed this challenge, and particularly using an unfamiliar film. The results are not too shabby, either...

I wondered about another challenge; I have not heard many people talk about the C41 mono films, and I've not used them myself. So I did wonder about getting people to use a roll. I think they're all ISO 400, so it's the right time of year for it. If we get enough takers we could split between Ilford XP2 and the Kodak BW400CN (or whatever). And isn't there a Fuji one as well?

I just thought it would be interesting to compare how they come out. What d'you think?

What camera did you have in mind?

I've loaded a film in my Zorki 4 but thanks to a combination of silly hours at work and busy weekends, I haven't taken a single shot yet. :(

Maybe I'll be in time for when we do this again next year...

Finally got mine processed at Tesco. The prints look great, but the scans look flat, so I've upped the contrast slightly so that they're something like the prints. Lots of scratches though, I'd forgot that Tesco don't seem to pay that much care and attention, or don't clearn their machines that often. Not as cheap as they used to be either, ultimately not that much cheaper than posting them to my normal lab. The film itself seems pretty good though, quite punchy. I've got another roll in my F6 currently, which is a bit like putting supermarket fuel in a Formula 1 car, but I'm pleasantly surprised by it.

What camera did you have in mind?

I wasn't thinking of a travelling camera this time; we've got one of thse just started (and there's another which is probably well into its second year :thinking:). I was thinking along the lines of the Agfa Vista challenge, something to get several of us using the same films in different cameras. Or in this case, two or three different films in the same class (C41 mono).

No worries if it doesn't fly; I just thought it would be interesting as I haven't used these films before. They could be useful as my usual lab doesn't do "normal" black and white... which is also getting very expensive everywhere! :thumbsdown: Of course, this might nt be popular with those who are set up to do black and white home processing, but not C41. :eek:

Finally got mine processed at Tesco. The prints look great, but the scans look flat, so I've upped the contrast slightly so that they're something like the prints. Lots of scratches though, I'd forgot that Tesco don't seem to pay that much care and attention, or don't clearn their machines that often. Not as cheap as they used to be either, ultimately not that much cheaper than posting them to my normal lab. The film itself seems pretty good though, quite punchy. I've got another roll in my F6 currently, which is a bit like putting supermarket fuel in a Formula 1 car, but I'm pleasantly surprised by it.

:wave: What do Tesco charge now for dev only, and dev and scan to CD only (no prints) ?

Couple of quid I think, but it's the prints that are expensive. Thing is, I like prints!

If you wanted to stay with them, I'd get the dev & scan done by them but choose which prints you want elsewhere - it surely must work out cheaper, and probably of a higher quality (and you can post-process them before you send them off).

I prefer doing this... partly because I don't exactly have 36 keepers per 35mm roll so it is a waste to get prints at the developing stage :shake:

If you wanted to stay with them, I'd get the dev & scan done by them but choose which prints you want elsewhere - it surely must work out cheaper, and probably of a higher quality (and you can post-process them before you send them off).

I prefer doing this... partly because I don't exactly have 36 keepers per 35mm roll so it is a waste to get prints at the developing stage :shake:

+1

Agfa, dev and scanned at Asda...... gamma and spots corrected by me.

CNV00056-1000px.jpg

^^^

Brian,

I think that is a cracking good colour shot and must show what great results can be had from , what some say is through away film, if you post any more of this calibre this price will go up and the film will only be available in the £5.00 shop.:)

^^^

Brian,

I think that is a cracking good colour shot and must show what great results can be had from , what some say is through away film, if you post any more of this calibre this price will go up and the film will only be available in the £5.00 shop.:)

:LOL: Definitely worth a £1, all the shots were very good for colours on this roll...Asda must have used fresh dev and fixer :)

With some of the B/W shots shown here it might be cheaper/better to just convert the colour neg to B/W...maybe a new challenge "best B/W shot from Agfa colour neg" :)

I'll start the ball rolling:-
Agfa colour film converted to B&W
ColourtoBW.jpg

Last edited:
Back