air rifles

I've got a nice green pair of hunters, I prefer Le Chameau. for the fit, though.
But I always thought that they were a tad overpriced personally.

Not a hunter but I used to shoot the rats in the back yard of my old place. Old BSA meteor still knocking about somewhere probably in the loft. Very low power if a pellet were to ricochet off the wall and hit me in the leg, it would just sting. Rat at close range was effective though..

Ah ok. Im in 2 minds about buying a bsa R10 and was seeing if anyone had any experience with one.

OK More seriously, Tony, I do shoot air rifles in the course of my job and the R10, its a
nice accurate rifle make no mistake, BUT
Is a heavy beast ;), its the bottle on the front makes it a little "clumsy" IMO too

This is a nice little weapon. Air Arms s410

I have a Weihrauch HW 97k .22 , and it deals with every legal quary, no idea about a bsa r10.

Cobra said:
OK More seriously, Tony, I do shoot air rifles in the course of my job and the R10, its a
nice accurate rifle make no mistake, BUT
Is a heavy beast ;), its the bottle on the front makes it a little "clumsy" IMO too

This is a nice little weapon. Air Arms s410

I am a fan of the air arms rifles and have had a few shots of the s410.

I quite like the theoben rapid mkii

I quite like the theoben rapid mkii
Not a fan especially, having used the afore mentioned BSA (8 shot)
"for quite some years"
for the same reason ;)
But then you have to weigh up the comparison number of shots from the
front mounted bottle, to the pre-charged "cylinder" build into the gun.
If you buy a "diving" bottle and connectors of course it does push the price up,
but charging is less of a problem if you have your own air supply.
Rather than running down the shops every 20 or so rounds fired.

I had an AA S400 and had the EV2 barrel custom fitted to it, ukneil trigger tune and ukneil silencer/stripper fitted. Its accuracy was good before but amazing after.My mate who had the R10 predecessor (Super 10) and also has the hornet carbine and standard bought it off me because it was that accurate. I used it mainly for target (HFT) and a bit of pest control so chose the single shot.
The BSA multishot system used to be pants in my opinion, i used a brand new one the shop loaned my whilst my sons single shot was repaired, i found the mags jammed and damaged pellets too which obviously affected accuracy, i hated it.
There is a BSA owners group online, bsaog dot something, also airgun forum dot something.
HTH
Atb
Cliff

*gold* said:
I had an AA S400 and had the EV2 barrel custom fitted to it, ukneil trigger tune and ukneil silencer/stripper fitted. Its accuracy was good before but amazing after.My mate who had the R10 predecessor (Super 10) and also has the hornet carbine and standard bought it off me because it was that accurate. I used it mainly for target (HFT) and a bit of pest control so chose the single shot.
The BSA multishot system used to be pants in my opinion, i used a brand new one the shop loaned my whilst my sons single shot was repaired, i found the mags jammed and damaged pellets too which obviously affected accuracy, i hated it.
There is a BSA owners group online, bsaog dot something, also airgun forum dot something.
HTH
Atb
Cliff

Yeah i do remember the mag on my bsa ultra was pants and that was the reason i sold it on.

If it was the same mag as the bsa super 10 it was utter utter *****. Whoever designed it surely should of got the sack

I've got a air arms s200 which i've had for about 7yrs, nice light and accurate but the seals just gone on the reservoir , i've also got a Theoben Sirocco custom which i've had aborter 25 yrs :D.

My original plan was to get a second hand R10 mk1 then get the barrel shortened and sent off to jb to be blueprinted then that gives me the lifetime warranty, a rifle shooting at its best and lighter gun... Now im back to not having a clue as what to get.

Yup, keen shooter. Been shooting most of my life, got a few permissions to keep the local rabbit population down and post over at the www.airgunforum.co.uk some good guys over there.

JB designed all the BSA precharges, not his fault the company modify the design to cut costs and ease production, I've met JB a couple of times dropping my mates hornets off, he's a top bloke and will blueprint the mags too, have a chat with him, he's an honest chap and will explain anything you ask.
Atb
Cliff

*gold* said:
JB designed all the BSA precharges, not his fault the company modify the design to cut costs and ease production, I've met JB a couple of times dropping my mates hornets off, he's a top bloke and will blueprint the mags too, have a chat with him, he's an honest chap and will explain anything you ask.
Atb
Cliff

He is very talented i must agree with you. Im still lost with my choice now.

For culling anything you need a proper gun not a toy. Air rifles are toys. You don't see pheasant and grouse shooters using them so why would you try and kill a rabbit with what is little more than a pop gun? Target practice and tin cans. That's all air rifles are fit for.

Had an S410 until recently, great gun. Would literally stack pellets at 30/40 yards.

If I were buying a new one though I'd have to go for .177 :)

For culling anything you need a proper gun not a toy. Air rifles are toys. You don't see pheasant and grouse shooters using them so why would you try and kill a rabbit with what is little more than a pop gun? Target practice and tin cans. That's all air rifles are fit for.

Troll. I use shotguns, a .22 rimfire and an air rifle all for pest control. Providing you're close enough (30/40 yards) a well aimed shot from an air rifle will drop a rabbit as well as the rimfire or shotgun.

In fact I've dropped a few hares with my S410, even if it is a pop gun.

Last edited:

er no, not quite

And just for the record some people do use them to kill pheasent when its in season, its just most prefer to use shotguns

Last edited:
srichards said:

I really do have to disagree with you on this one.

That is a very dangerous attitude, if you really believe it.

My dad's the expert not me. He's been killing rabbits, deer, pheasants etc for 50+ years. I know he wouldn't use an air rifle for any of that. Next door neighbour used to try and kill pigeons with an air rifle. They were generally found half dead. If they were dead it was the fall to the ground that killed them :)

Just because I think they're pop guns doesn't mean I'd either a) play with them or b) stand in front of one.

Mice or rats at close range. Fair enough. Not rabbits unless you are going to get them in the head every time and sufficiently close to kill them quickly.

Next door neighbour used to try and kill pigeons with an air rifle. They were generally found half dead. If they were dead it was the fall to the ground that killed them :)

that has nothing to do with the power of the air rifle, that is just inexperience and poor aim. I have shot many pigeons with clear headshots and they are dead before they hit the floor. hit a wing or in the chest and that is not going to do the job

and as for your father using a shotgun, that is just personal choice, it doesnt mean that an air rifle is any less suited to do the job, except the deer of course which would explain why he has a shotgun

Last edited:
srichards said:
My dad's the expert not me. He's been killing rabbits, deer, pheasants etc for 50+ years. I know he wouldn't use an air rifle for any of that. Next door neighbour used to try and kill pigeons with an air rifle. They were generally found half dead. If they were dead it was the fall to the ground that killed them :)

Just because I think they're pop guns doesn't mean I'd either a) play with them or b) stand in front of one.

Mice or rats at close range. Fair enough. Not rabbits unless you are going to get them in the head every time and sufficiently close to kill them quickly.

The saying goes unless your sure you are going to kill it u don't pull the trigger.

As for air rifles being toys you really have not come in to contact with a good rifle. The legal limit is 12lbs without a fac licence and iv known of air rifle being pushed to 50+...

I've got a 177 s400 which had a few custom mods done on it, lovely and accurate.

Regarding the comment about them being pop guns, it's horses for courses while I agree that they won't be any good and indeed shouldn't be used against larger animals the same can be said in reverse. That being you'd not use a 7.62 to take down a rabbit or a rat.

and as for your father using a shotgun, that is just personal choice, it doesnt mean that an air rifle is any less suited to do the job, except the deer of course which would explain why he has a shotgun

Shotgun on a deer!!!!! I truly hope not.

Back