All the gear(?) and no idea...

Edit My Images
No
Was not sure which sub fora this was best suited to...?

https://fstoppers.com/originals/por...vm9p3SjAKX1FkOiGuZaehpWKhyyba_eNafWZZvbq85Zuo

I got the link via FB .....maybe a premature 1st April 'joke' but sadly I think not ~ but heh ho such is the nature of modern picture consumption !

PS if the guy ever buys a small sensor camera because he thinks or is told it will make his subjects less conscious of him taking photographs, I wonder he will say of his wonderlicious bokeh disappearing again....."but it was still taken at f/1.4 ..."......"the must be broken....." ;)

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks for that, it has made me feel quite mediocre now :D

sounds like someone having a little laugh at novices expense :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I was going to post my general "Morons. Morons everywhere." comment, but note that the f1.4 post was at the bottom of that /humour list.

Last edited:
I'm sure that article is a wind up but I do remember a dealer telling me about a customer complaining that all the pictures he took with his brand new Sigma 30mm f1.4 were soft... and of course he was shooting everything at f1.4 :D

I'm sure that article is a wind up but I do remember a dealer telling me about a customer complaining that all the pictures he took with his brand new Sigma 30mm f1.4 were soft... and of course he was shooting everything at f1.4 :D

A lot of stories of all sorts can include or be started with a nugget of truth.

A lot of stories of all sorts can include or be started with a nugget of truth.

But with the level of detail in that story and the style in which it's been written it's not a case of Chinese whispers and is either largely true or just a complete fiction. I think it's the latter.

But with the level of detail in that story and the style in which it's been written it's not a case of Chinese whispers and is either largely true or just a complete fiction. I think it's the latter.

Point taken, though I wonder (as I don't recall it being mentioned?) as to what kit was being "used"......................as the article said the user taped to aperture to f1.4 to avoid it moving, so a digital dSLR with a lens using a an aperture ring?

PS as for the nugget about which you also allude to in post #17, there have been lots of posts here at TP and elsewhere of photographers (not all complete beginners) who still lack the understanding of the relationship of aperture and DoF.

Well it was in New York wasn't it?

A couple of years ago I downloaded a free kindle photography book where the author said that if you had a fast shutter speed the light from far away did not have time to register on the sensor and so it was blurry. :clap:

They've done a few of these recently the joke is in the headline then they just drag it out a little too much. I'm more amused that some actually thought it was genuine :D

Wait a few months and watch how people who've extolled the virtues of Nikon's "smaller, lighter, more capable" Z-series cameras react when their f/1.2-f/1.4 primes and f/2.8 zooms appear. "The lighter weight of the body offsets the increased weight of the lens. The optional battery grip helps to provide better balance, should your bank balance allow."

A couple of years ago I downloaded a free kindle photography book where the author said that if you had a fast shutter speed the light from far away did not have time to register on the sensor and so it was blurry. :clap:
Well sometimes you get what you pay for - but here you were cheated!

Back