All the gear(?) and no idea...

Edit My Images
No
Was not sure which sub fora this was best suited to...?

https://fstoppers.com/originals/por...vm9p3SjAKX1FkOiGuZaehpWKhyyba_eNafWZZvbq85Zuo

I got the link via FB .....maybe a premature 1st April 'joke' but sadly I think not ~ but heh ho such is the nature of modern picture consumption !

PS if the guy ever buys a small sensor camera because he thinks or is told it will make his subjects less conscious of him taking photographs, I wonder he will say of his wonderlicious bokeh disappearing again....."but it was still taken at f/1.4 ..."......"the must be broken....." ;)

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks for that, it has made me feel quite mediocre now :D

sounds like someone having a little laugh at novices expense :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I was going to post my general "Morons. Morons everywhere." comment, but note that the f1.4 post was at the bottom of that /humour list.

Last edited:
I'm sure that article is a wind up but I do remember a dealer telling me about a customer complaining that all the pictures he took with his brand new Sigma 30mm f1.4 were soft... and of course he was shooting everything at f1.4 :D

I'm sure that article is a wind up but I do remember a dealer telling me about a customer complaining that all the pictures he took with his brand new Sigma 30mm f1.4 were soft... and of course he was shooting everything at f1.4 :D

A lot of stories of all sorts can include or be started with a nugget of truth.

A lot of stories of all sorts can include or be started with a nugget of truth.

But with the level of detail in that story and the style in which it's been written it's not a case of Chinese whispers and is either largely true or just a complete fiction. I think it's the latter.

But with the level of detail in that story and the style in which it's been written it's not a case of Chinese whispers and is either largely true or just a complete fiction. I think it's the latter.

Point taken, though I wonder (as I don't recall it being mentioned?) as to what kit was being "used"......................as the article said the user taped to aperture to f1.4 to avoid it moving, so a digital dSLR with a lens using a an aperture ring?

PS as for the nugget about which you also allude to in post #17, there have been lots of posts here at TP and elsewhere of photographers (not all complete beginners) who still lack the understanding of the relationship of aperture and DoF.

A couple of years ago I downloaded a free kindle photography book where the author said that if you had a fast shutter speed the light from far away did not have time to register on the sensor and so it was blurry. :clap:

They've done a few of these recently the joke is in the headline then they just drag it out a little too much. I'm more amused that some actually thought it was genuine :D

Wait a few months and watch how people who've extolled the virtues of Nikon's "smaller, lighter, more capable" Z-series cameras react when their f/1.2-f/1.4 primes and f/2.8 zooms appear. "The lighter weight of the body offsets the increased weight of the lens. The optional battery grip helps to provide better balance, should your bank balance allow."

A couple of years ago I downloaded a free kindle photography book where the author said that if you had a fast shutter speed the light from far away did not have time to register on the sensor and so it was blurry. :clap:
Well sometimes you get what you pay for - but here you were cheated!

Back