All things related to Android phones & tablets

Seems a strange fault, but it definitely works as I described, from the Home screen (press the home button to get there) press the "Apps" button on the bottom row and the Apps drawer opens, and should populate with all the phone apps, go to the app you want on the home screen and press and hold on it and the home screen pops up on the screen with other actions across the top starting with "create folder". Without lifting your finger slide the app icon to where you want it to be on the home screen and then lift your finger to release it.
Thanks. None of that works. Sounds like phone is duff. GGGRRRRRRR

Try and install an alternative launcher and see it works, look for, and install "Nova Launcher" from the Play Store.

Ohhh....just spotted this thread , hoping someone can advise me please ?

After 6 Blackberrys ( which I still love) I finally moved to a Samsung S5 Neo...which so far I'm more than happy with . haven't got a scooby how most of it works & don't download many apps...think I have 3 so far :D

So , to the question.......I'd like to get an external microphone for when I'm doing videos but there's so much info out there ( most of which I don't understand !) I just want something cheap n cheerful that will help reduce wind noise when I'm stood on top of a windy hill.....

Would something like this work ?
BOYA BY-M1 Clip-On Microphone

many thanks in advance

Right I've solved the problem but not in the way I intended.
I tried Nova Launcher and that made the home pages weird. I uninstalled it. When I tried to open up again I was asked to choose between two presumably internal launchers. They had only slightly different names, but I can't remember what they were!
I chose one and got a display similar to that on my Note 3 but different from what it had been before.
I tried the Apps and theyy moved so I stuck with that method. I've now got the phone all nicely set up almost as a mirror image of mine. This is good because I'll have to be the troubleshooter in days to come.

So in summary it looks like some internal launcher or similar was playing up. But the way it is now is better than it would have been had I sorted out the original problem.

So thank you very much. We got there in the end.

Found it. The launcher I was offered was Touch Wiz, and I think, Touch Wiz home as an alternative. Can't for the life of me remember which one I opted for.

I think it's Touchwiz Home and Touchwiz Easy iirc, I think the Easy version is locked down for the tech-phobic so they can't make changes, I presume you might have been stuck on that one initially.

Ohhh....just spotted this thread , hoping someone can advise me please ?

After 6 Blackberrys ( which I still love) I finally moved to a Samsung S5 Neo...which so far I'm more than happy with . haven't got a scooby how most of it works & don't download many apps...think I have 3 so far :D

So , to the question.......I'd like to get an external microphone for when I'm doing videos but there's so much info out there ( most of which I don't understand !) I just want something cheap n cheerful that will help reduce wind noise when I'm stood on top of a windy hill.....

Would something like this work ?
BOYA BY-M1 Clip-On Microphone

many thanks in advance

It *looks* like it should work.

I think it's Touchwiz Home and Touchwiz Easy iirc, I think the Easy version is locked down for the tech-phobic so they can't make changes, I presume you might have been stuck on that one initially.
Yes thank you. I've found out that it is now on Touch wiz home. Wouldn't know how to change it but I'm not going down that road.

Yes thank you. I've found out that it is now on Touch wiz home. Wouldn't know how to change it but I'm not going down that road.
It is not obvious I agree, but in case you do want to.

Setting -> Apps -> find touchwiz and clear the tick in make this default.

Then tap the app and you'll get the question again which launcher you would like.

It is not obvious I agree, but in case you do want to.

Setting -> Apps -> find touchwiz and clear the tick in make this default.

Then tap the app and you'll get the question again which launcher you would like.
Thank you again. As a definite non techy I've learned quire a bit since yesterday morning(y)

Next question (yes I'm a PIA!)

On my Note 3 in S planner I can set reminders for a variety of times before the event.
On wifey's S6 I can't find where to set reminders. They don't appear on the setting screen , and there are no drop down menus that I can select. If there are no reminders available then we/she will forget to look at the planner and miss the event, which is not really ideal.
Anyone know how to set reminders on the S planer?

Next question (yes I'm a PIA!)

On my Note 3 in S planner I can set reminders for a variety of times before the event.
On wifey's S6 I can't find where to set reminders. They don't appear on the setting screen , and there are no drop down menus that I can select. If there are no reminders available then we/she will forget to look at the planner and miss the event, which is not really ideal.
Anyone know how to set reminders on the S planer?

This is disabled in Easy mode. You have to go in to "Settings", "My Device" then change your "Home screen mode" to "Standard mode" to get the reminder field.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s6-edge/543892-s-planner-reminder-settings-gone.html

Last edited:
Thank you. SWMBO went back into O2 shop today and they said nothing could be done. That's a Guru for you!

Does anybody know of an app to turn brightness of the screen as dim as possible, the screen brightness of my sony is way to bright even when all the settings are turned down. I am thinking for night time usage here, so even a red screen could work.

Go to the app store and put 'screen brightness' into the search bar. :cool:

Can anyone recommend an email client that has rules or some way to shift circulars to another folder. And displays the emails in the inbox in a compact way, so I can see more than 7 on the screen in one go.

Thanks. But it still only shows a paltry 9 emails from the inbox.

The rules potentially let you hide unwanted circulars. Which would be good. But that is not working for me though.

Edit: the rules do work, but only on new incoming messages after you have defined the rule. You can't run it on emails that are already in the inbox.

Last edited:
Has anyone had any experience of the Amazon fire tablets? Looking at one for my son, maybe the kids edition with Amazon fire for kids subscription. Does anyone know if the apps are the same as Android?

We got a Fire 6 for our son last christmas. It's a good size for little hands and keeps him away from our phones.
Because its Amazon, they run a skinned version of Android which is heavily locked down to how Amazon want you to run the device, thus you don't get the play store but instead you get the Amazon App Store. the App Store doesn't always exhibit the same apps as the Play Store but when it does there may be a cost incurred via Amazon which is free on Google.

Other than above they are pretty much the same as Android.

Anyone here using a Cubot Dinosaur Ive just got a couple as my son was after a duel sim android phone first impressions are it looks a excellent bit of tech for the money:)
see link below
http://www.cubot.net/smartphones/dinosaur/

We got a Fire 6 for our son last christmas. It's a good size for little hands and keeps him away from our phones.
Because its Amazon, they run a skinned version of Android which is heavily locked down to how Amazon want you to run the device, thus you don't get the play store but instead you get the Amazon App Store. the App Store doesn't always exhibit the same apps as the Play Store but when it does there may be a cost incurred via Amazon which is free on Google.

Other than above they are pretty much the same as Android.

Thank you, did you have the kids edition with the 1 year amazon fire for kids and protective bumper or was it a just the 6" tablet?

I'm struggling to find a phone to replace my oneplus one, I would like something smaller.. I know the G4 isn't smaller, but it's some spec for the price..

I'm struggling to find a phone to replace my oneplus one, I would like something smaller.. I know the G4 isn't smaller, but it's some spec for the price..

Though corners have been cut to get to the price, there's no NFC (so no NFC apps and no AndroidPay) and no magnetometer (so no compass apps).

Anyone using a Moto G4?

Yes, I use a G4, had it for a couple of months and very pleased with it. the display is excellent, very sharp and the larger size makes it good for browsing etc.

If anything happened to it, I would buy the same again.

Chris

I ended up going for a huawei P9 lite today.. Its slightly smaller than the G4 What's the best way to get everything from my current phone to my new one? Any one stop apps?

I ended up going for a huawei P9 lite today.. Its slightly smaller than the G4 What's the best way to get everything from my current phone to my new one? Any one stop apps?
You don't have a google account ?

Your contacts will automatically move across when you log in to your google account, ditto google docs and applications. There are several backup apps for text messages that will allow you to save them to internal memory & then restore.

Back