All things related to Android phones & tablets

@ian-83 here is a link to get you started.
Its for the HTC one M7 as i have assumed that is the phone you have if not though let me know.

This is Cyanogenmod which is basically a vanilla android ROM. Well developed and well supported.
Have a read through the thread to find out whats involved in getting it on your phone.

If your phone is the M8 then there will be a like minded thread for that varient too.

Yup phone is HTC one M7. where's the link?

Looked at that link and to be honest I haven't a clue what any of it means. I don't understand from looking at it what I need to download onto my computer
Ok i want tou to enter into fastboot using the following method.
One there can you take a picture of the screen and post it in this thread.
From your picture i should be able to tell you if custom recovery and ROM are doable. If so i am happy to help you get it sorted.
Screenshot_2017-03-29-19-22-35.png

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the screen I get. The phone is very temperamental it keeps trying to reboot itself all the time

DSC_0004 by Ian Diplock, on Flickr

Ok theres two things to note from that screen
1. HBoot version 1.61 and 2. S-on

The S-on means the bootloader is locked. Getting it to S-off means its unlocked and can be fettled with.
A quick read suggests there are ways to unlock version 1.61 but it is tricky.

Is this your only phone or do you have another that you can use?

@ian-83 morning Ian,
I sat last night looking into your problem and because your phone is stock with no prior customisation has a locked boot loader and is stuck in a boot loop i think it may be terminal.
There is one possible solution which involves flashing an earlier version of the stock HTC ROM but to do so requires knowing how to use ADB and fastboot commands whilst the phone is plugged into a computer to manipulate the phone and sideload the stock ROM.

I would be happy to try it for you but there is a strong chance it wont work and the phone would remain stuck in an infinite boot loop.

Just depends how much value you put on the phone and whether you are willing to risk it.

@ian-83 morning Ian,
I sat last night looking into your problem and because your phone is stock with no prior customisation has a locked boot loader and is stuck in a boot loop i think it may be terminal.
There is one possible solution which involves flashing an earlier version of the stock HTC ROM but to do so requires knowing how to use ADB and fastboot commands whilst the phone is plugged into a computer to manipulate the phone and sideload the stock ROM.

I would be happy to try it for you but there is a strong chance it wont work and the phone would remain stuck in an infinite boot loop.

Just depends how much value you put on the phone and whether you are willing to risk it.

Thanks for having a look for me. It was just an idea I was looking at to try as I don't have anything to loose if the phone becomes unusable. I have all ready brought a replacement phone.

Thanks for having a look for me. It was just an idea I was looking at to try as I don't have anything to loose if the phone becomes unusable. I have all ready brought a replacement phone.
No worries ian if you want me to try to resurrect it just give us a shout.

OK I have a question about something that has been driving me mad for ages.

When out and about, having a coffee as you do, I have noticed my S6 connecting to an O2 WiFi hotspot, i never gave it permission to and nor is there an option in the Wifi settings to "forget" it, that option is missing.

The WiFi hotspot is one of those not spots as well so useless, plus I don't want to use it anyway.

I have searched the web for a solution to the problem but nothing seems to work.

The only way to stop my S6 from connecting to this O2 WiFi hotspot is to turn the WiFi off on my phone which is a right PITA to have to do each time

Anybody got a suggestions on how to "fix" this issue?

I use GiffGaff by the way who run on the O2 network

When out and about, having a coffee as you do, I have noticed my S6 connecting to an O2 WiFi hotspot, i never gave it permission to and nor is there an option in the Wifi settings to "forget" it, that option is missing.

The WiFi hotspot is one of those not spots as well so useless, plus I don't want to use it anyway.

I have searched the web for a solution to the problem but nothing seems to work.

The only way to stop my S6 from connecting to this O2 WiFi hotspot is to turn the WiFi off on my phone which is a right PITA to have to do each time

When you are in your wifi settings and you see the O2 one you dont want have you tried long pressing on it? If not try it and it should bring up a small sub menu with one of the options being "forget"

When you are in your wifi settings and you see the O2 one you dont want have you tried long pressing on it? If not try it and it should bring up a small sub menu with one of the options being "forget"

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the reply.

That option is not available, it is missing, so I can not tell my phone to "forget"

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the reply.

That option is not available, it is missing, so I can not tell my phone to "forget"

Thats a bit of a pain and a quick read on google suggests its a pain for others too.
You shouldn't have to keep switching your wifi off.
Interestingly is your S6 a network affiliated phone i.e. did it originate from O2? If do then i suspect it is something O2 have baked into the software.

Interestingly my O2 affiliated LG phone has never connected once to an O2 wifi hotspot so i wonfer if it is unique to samsung owners.

Thats a bit of a pain and a quick read on google suggests its a pain for others too.
You shouldn't have to keep switching your wifi off.
Interestingly is your S6 a network affiliated phone i.e. did it originate from O2? If do then i suspect it is something O2 have baked into the software.

Interestingly my O2 affiliated LG phone has never connected once to an O2 wifi hotspot so i wonfer if it is unique to samsung owners.

Hi Stuart,

Nope I bought my S6 SIM free.

It was a few weeks ago I noticed it connecting to O2 hotspot without asking

In my google searching I was unable to find an answer :(

I had a problem I've sorted it now ignore.

Last edited:
Keith have you ever used the free WiFi in Costa or Subway ? Costa and a number of other place's WiFi is provided by O2 and once you've used it in one place it then automatically uses it in other O2 WiFi equipped places.
One thing I've noticed is in some places it connects automatically but in others you have to manually complete the connection by supplying approval.

Keith have you ever used the free WiFi in Costa or Subway ? Costa and a number of other place's WiFi is provided by O2 and once you've used it in one place it then automatically uses it in other O2 WiFi equipped places.
One thing I've noticed is in some places it connects automatically but in others you have to manually complete the connection by supplying approval.

Hi Alistair,

Nope have never used there free WiFi services.

My only connection with O2 is that I use GiffGaff as my service provider and they in turn use the O2 network.

I tried to engage with O2 about this but just ended up going round in circles and their best advice is to turn my WiFi off - I don't want to turn my WiFi off, I shouldn't have to turn my WiFi off, O2 should not be hijacking my WiFi connection in the first place

hmm, well I know what you mean, I have a Nexus so its not particular to Samsung but I am on GiffGaff.
It connects to free open wifi but doesn't actually work without logging in, so you go to get data and the phone has no data connection via 4g because its swapped to the free wifi spot which is not active till you log in....annoying.
It doesn't bother me too much switching it off, the nature of my travels dictate that its a rare occurrence, but when it does I find that because I switched wifi off, the phone doesn't connect to my wifi at home.....which I do want ......annoying.
Anyway, I just checked my phone and I dunno if this will work but I do get forget options for 02 and BT with flippin FON and all the other crap, but I navigate to the list differently.
So
In the drop down window > wifi icon > more settings, in the more settings window is the settings cog top right, it takes you to the configure wifi window.
top of that list is saved networks, in there is a list of every network you've ever come in to contact with, on my phone selecting any of the networks listed brings up a forget option.

:)

oh, and another thing, in the configure wifi window, an option on the list is "use open wifi automatically", I think that ought to be deactivated tbh.

hmm, well I know what you mean, I have a Nexus so its not particular to Samsung but I am on GiffGaff.
It connects to free open wifi but doesn't actually work without logging in, so you go to get data and the phone has no data connection via 4g because its swapped to the free wifi spot which is not active till you log in....annoying.
It doesn't bother me too much switching it off, the nature of my travels dictate that its a rare occurrence, but when it does I find that because I switched wifi off, the phone doesn't connect to my wifi at home.....which I do want ......annoying.
Anyway, I just checked my phone and I dunno if this will work but I do get forget options for 02 and BT with flippin FON and all the other crap, but I navigate to the list differently.
So
In the drop down window > wifi icon > more settings, in the more settings window is the settings cog top right, it takes you to the configure wifi window.
top of that list is saved networks, in there is a list of every network you've ever come in to contact with, on my phone selecting any of the networks listed brings up a forget option.

oh, and another thing, in the configure wifi window, an option on the list is "use open wifi automatically", I think that ought to be deactivated tbh.

Those options are not available on the S6

Remember that the Nexus uses vanilla android whereas the S6 does not

Thanks for trying to help though :)

So

I don't know if it would help here but I installed an app called Automate. It lets you program a series of operations as a flow chart, to create your own app.
No prior knowledge of programming needed.
http://llamalab.com/automate/

Those options are not available on the S6

Remember that the Nexus uses vanilla android whereas the S6 does not

Thanks for trying to help though :)

Its looking like a bit of a reset job then according to the tinterwebz.
Carrier crap absolutely smashes my box in, my SO insists on buying Motorola, course...when there's an issue, muggins here has to sort it out and quite often what I know to be a simple fix, turns out to be a complete clustercrap of missing options and menus.

Its looking like a bit of a reset job then according to the tinterwebz.
Carrier crap absolutely smashes my box in, my SO insists on buying Motorola, course...when there's an issue, muggins here has to sort it out and quite often what I know to be a simple fix, turns out to be a complete clustercrap of missing options and menus.

That would be a PITA

I am going to try one more thing tomorrow first - someone said when it connects I should open my browser and then follow the registration process, once registered I should then be able to tell it to forget my phone and not auto connect, how good this information is I don't know but at the moment I have nothing to loose by trying it.

Have just noticed under back up and reset I have a section called Reset network settings: reset WiFi, Bluetooth and other network settings to their defaults.

I have just done this and will see if it has done the trick tomorrow

Have just noticed under back up and reset I have a section called Reset network settings: reset WiFi, Bluetooth and other network settings to their defaults.

I have just done this and will see if it has done the trick tomorrow

That's what I read on the interwebz, it went on to mention you will have to re-enter your details/passwords/whatever for the wifi spots you actually want, as the reset dumps them all.
best of luck..:)

That's what I read on the interwebz, it went on to mention you will have to re-enter your details/passwords/whatever for the wifi spots you actually want, as the reset dumps them all.
best of luck..:)

My worry is that I never entered any settings/passwords or otherwise gave my permission to the O2 WiFi hotspot to connect in the first place, one day whilst having a coffee it just auto connected and here we are :mad:

Well it didn't work, soon as I sat down with my coffee my S6 had already auto connected to the O2 WiFi hotspot

I am actually very annoyed about this, O2 should not be doing this - They and GifGaff have been no help what so ever in rectifying the issue, all they can say is turn your WiFi off

I don't have a contact with O2

I have a pay monthly SIM with GiffGaff who use the O2 network to provide their service

My worry is that I never entered any settings/passwords or otherwise gave my permission to the O2 WiFi hotspot to connect in the first place, one day whilst having a coffee it just auto connected and here we are :mad:

When you say auto connect, you mean it connects but you can't use it till you've done some login rubbish, or does it connect and be usable without your input

When you say auto connect, you mean it connects but you can't use it till you've done some login rubbish, or does it connect and be usable without your input

It just auto connects to the O2 WiFi hotspot without any input from myself - as for usable, pile of crud

I only found out it was doing it when one of my apps wouldn't work and said I needed to connect to mobile data, when I checked it was at that point I realised that the WiFi had auto connected to the O2 hostspot

So its not usable after auto connecting without input from you, ie. a login, hence your apps don't work.
I haven't been able to find anything that solves the problem, just a lot of people complaining.
There is talk that the auto connect is built in to the rom via o2 bloatware, it automatically pushes you on to a wifi hotspot to save o2's bandwidth on the 4g network.
This of course saves them money by not having to invest in the increased capacity it should be investing in, which......is utter garbage.
So, I reckon its the phone, not the network, more accurately, the o2's bullsh1t version of android..:/

There are a lot of suggestions, but they all require particular routes and options that may or may not be available on your handset, its a long tortuous route to bottom all of them only to find at the end of it all that its just not possible to fix.

Last edited:
FWIW, I find that a complaint via Twitter seems to illicit a speedy response.
Perhaps might be worth doing that to 02 customer service?
They should get a techie on the case and assist?

If it was really smashing my box in, I'd consider dumping o2's android and flashing it with vanilla or cyanogen or something, anything to be shut of carrier rubbish.
Android is truly ruined by those dingbats

So its not usable after auto connecting without input from you, ie. a login, hence your apps don't work.
I haven't been able to find anything that solves the problem, just a lot of people complaining.
There is talk that the auto connect is built in to the rom via o2 bloatware, it automatically pushes you on to a wifi hotspot to save o2's bandwidth on the 4g network.
This of course saves them money by not having to invest in the increased capacity it should be investing in, which......is utter garbage.
So, I reckon its the phone, not the network, more accurately, the o2's bullsh1t version of android..:/

There are a lot of suggestions, but they all require particular routes and options that may or may not be available on your handset, its a long tortuous route to bottom all of them only to find at the end of it all that its just not possible to fix.

If it was really smashing my box in, I'd consider dumping o2's android and flashing it with vanilla or cyanogen or something, anything to be shut of carrier rubbish.
Android is truly ruined by those dingbats

I presume the phone is free of carrier bloat if it was bought independently?

My S6 was bought unlocked/SIM free direct from Samsung so no carrier bloatware

I have not, nor have I been, a customer of O2

I use GiffGaff as my carrier of choice

FWIW, I find that a complaint via Twitter seems to illicit a speedy response.
Perhaps might be worth doing that to 02 customer service?
They should get a techie on the case and assist?

Been there done that, totally useless

There advice was to turn WiFi off

Back