All things related to Apple phones & tablets

Yes. Will get the iPhone 11 when it’s out. Wife will take my 2yo iPhone 8, tend to get a new one every 2/3 years. Liking the camera for occasional snaps and use it as my main video camera now.

What are the views in ear buds? Style over substance or worth having. Have a £40 set of wireless buds off amazon. They are ok, but wife takes them most of the time and will probs add another Apple product to the family.

Is no one interested in the new Apple products?

As a long time Android user who has just bought an iPad Pro I have been more interested in this iPhone announcement than I normally would be. The cameras on the 11 Pro do seem to be quite decent, and a wide angle lens on a phone camera is incredibly useful. Doubt I'll be chopping my Galaxy Note 9 in for one this year but using the iPad has peaked my interest in iPhones again. Some things about iOS baffle me though. Why is there no way to clear an apps cache short of deleting it and re-installing it?! That's madness.

What are the views in ear buds? Style over substance or worth having. Have a £40 set of wireless buds off amazon. They are ok, but wife takes them most of the time and will probs add another Apple product to the family.

I use a pair and find them very good, comfortable and with decent sound. I bought a set of EarSkinz for them for when I use them in bed, makes them even more secure in ear.

I use AirPods and some Jaybird ones. The AirPods may look silly but they sound great.

I use AirPods and some Jaybird ones. The AirPods may look silly but they sound great.

Good to hear that as a user, you agree they look silly. That's what put me off buying them. I tried them, they sound good, the technology inside them is excellent. Pauses music when you remove one, etc but I couldn't get past the looks unfortunately.

As for the new announcements, I got a Xr a few months ago and have no regrets after the announcement. The new phones do nothing special for what I want or need. The camera improvements seemed to be the main part of the keynote but I have no desire to use a digital camera unfortunately.

I have been an Apple user for a while now and after recently reading the Steve Jobs biography, I have a new found understanding to reasons behind a lot of the products, however since Steve passed and now Jonny Ice has left, I do wonder how things will develop in the future.

I think audio quality of the Airpods is subjective, for what they are and their size the quality is pretty good, but to an audiophile they'll pick holes in the flat mid-range all day long, many of the reviewers said the same thing.

Personally I think they sound better than my jaybird x2's, which is good enough, but the price point is a bit much just for the convenience of wireless.

Good to hear that as a user, you agree they look silly. That's what put me off buying them. I tried them, they sound good, the technology inside them is excellent. Pauses music when you remove one, etc but I couldn't get past the looks unfortunately.

I haven't tried them, and maybe can't (I use an iPhone SE), but my feeling is they look completely ridiculous, people walking round apparently with cotton buds stuck in their ears! But I'm a well known grump... :(

well as i said i like the button and didnt want to go to a glass back my 6 is now redundant and got myself a 7 plus.
I may look at getting something better at a later point if I decide I want to start sim swapping so one phone for work and one for personal after work.

well as i said i like the button and didnt want to go to a glass back my 6 is now redundant and got myself a 7 plus.
I may look at getting something better at a later point if I decide I want to start sim swapping so one phone for work and one for personal after work.

iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max and iPhone XR all have dual SIM functionality on many networks.
One phone, two phone numbers.

iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max and iPhone XR all have dual SIM functionality on many networks.
One phone, two phone numbers.
Sorry I don’t mean like that I mean 1 number 2 phones.
I am a roofer and always like to have my phone with me.
I don’t fancy having a decent phone on a roof and dropping it :(

Probably a very simple question for some of you, but can anyone tell me how to find the ip address ? of my iPhone 7 plus.

George.

Many thanks for that Gary, its just that I’ve had several critical alerts saying that someone has been trying to access my Google AC from an unsecure app and they have forwarded the ip address to me. I just wanted to check if its something me or my wife has been trying to do with one of the apps on our phones.

George.

Reviews are out for the iPhone 11, looks like the camera system is a great upgrade, but iOS13 lets it down with constant crashing. Hopefully they'll iron that out, although the fact the phone is running the general release iOS13 sounds like apple are releasing a lemon and looking to resolve it in the next update.

Whatever happened to delaying a phone until it was ready, nobody should have to pay £600+ for an unstable device!

Extract from The Verge...

My iPhone 11 and 11 Pro review units are running iOS 13.0, and iOS 13.0 is pretty damn buggy. I saw all kinds of glitches and crashes during my week of testing, as did Verge executive editor Dieter Bohn with his iPhone 11 review unit running iOS 13. The home screen has crashed and relaunched. Messages glitches out and puts the text entry field at the top of the screen. AirDrop has crashed out so hard I’ve had to restart the phone a few times to get it working again. The camera app lags from time to time. There are a lot of good new features in iOS 13, but it’s clear that Apple’s pushing hard to get it out, and I don’t think there’s any harm in waiting a tick for these bugs to get cleared up.

Last edited:
Got the buds yesterday., In typical Apple fashion i just open the case and they paired with phone!! Simple!

Another Q - what app would you recommend to take photos, i.e. one of those that allow you manual controls rather than auto?

Got the buds yesterday., In typical Apple fashion i just open the case and they paired with phone!! Simple!

Another Q - what app would you recommend to take photos, i.e. one of those that allow you manual controls rather than auto?

If this is of any help, I have & use "ProCamera" & "Camera Plus" that I find both to be very good. I also have "Cortex Cam" "Slow Shutter" & "Fab Focus" installed which are all pretty useful.

George.

Last edited:

"You might also like to give this guy a look on Flickr, iPhone Fotograaf he put me on to these apps and he shoots some amazing stuff on an iPhone, he also has an extremely good blog about his uses and how he does it using an iPhone"

George.

13.1 is out in beta. I've been running it on my iPad for a while now and it hasn't crashed or hung yet. Should be on public release some time around the end of the month.

Sounds great, but if base 13 is such a lemon then why not just release 13.1 instead of 13, negate the potentially poor feedback?

Liking the new Car Play, especially the split screen in maps although I appear to have lost my Recents (no biggy). Only gripe is that the clock is smaller. On my previous car, the bar with the clock, recent apps etc was on the right hand side but on my current car, it's on the left so further away from me.

Something really weird is going on with Apple Music/iTunes. Have a combo of songs off CDs, purchases from Apple and Apple Music and all was fine till yesterday when i setup my new 11. Then I noticed some songs missing, quite a few! Have resorted to doing a Time Machine restore from over a week ago yet the 'old' playlists and songs are not there. Some of the songs missing are odd ones off albums I would have put on my mac yonks ago so no obvious pattern!

I quite like my 11 pro but then again I’ve come from a 6 and changed because it has a huge better drain issue and won’t be supported anymore.

Ridiculous money tbh...

Oh, I’d also be interested in advice on better in ear headphones as I do like good quality

Ideally noise cancelling and not £1million

Oh, I’d also be interested in advice on better in ear headphones as I do like good quality

Ideally noise cancelling and not £1million

If you can get on with them, IEM's such as Etymotic ER4 are worth a listen. The sound isolation is amazing, provided you can get used to having a earphone quite a long way into your ear! They are also quite a neutral sound, so not bass heavy.
For more traditional over ear noise cancelling, Sony and Bose seem to get good reviews. They often pop up on Hotukdeals so worth seeing up an alert there.
Another place for advice is the Reddit earphone site.

Thanks - I’m not in the league to spend £300 or earphones for a handful of plane journeys a year.

will have a look at Sony and Bose (y)

Maybe not for the purists and not noise cancelling but hard to fault my new AirPods. In true Apple style they just work!!

Thanks - I’m not in the league to spend £300 or earphones for a handful of plane journeys a year.

will have a look at Sony and Bose (y)

The Sony's and Bose are not a whole lot cheaper at around £200.

If its just for a few plane journeys, try a pair of these for £10
http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/fidue-a31s-in-ear-isolating-earphones-with-mic-yellow.html
and some Shure memory foam tips
http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/shure-black-foam-eartips-medium-5-pairs.html

These are the earphones i use in bed as they are so small and comfortable.

Heres a picture to show how small they are

I quite like my 11 pro but then again I’ve come from a 6 and changed because it has a huge better drain issue and won’t be supported anymore.

Ridiculous money tbh...

Senheizer Momentum are “Excellent”, with a really good flat sound.

George.

iOS 13.1 and iPadOs 13.1 are out.

Installed it on my 12.9 iPad pro and all seems to be working well, once I‘ve figured everything out. Really like the new keyboard layout as its pretty much the same now as a computer keyboard with a caps lock & numbers etc on the same screen.

George.

Anyone experiencing issues where pages don’t display ? I keep having to exit the app and start again then it works fine

Hi, I wonder if anyone else has experienced this, since updating my “iPhone 7plus” to 13.1 and now 13.1.1 I have been unable to get onto the App Store to update apps etc using my phones data, but I can by using Wi Fi. I always could before the update and have checked all the necessary on/off switches etc. Its not a limitation from my cell phones data provider so I’m wondering if Apple have stopped allowing me to do this. I can still update my iPad pro by using my phones data via the personal hotspot setting.

Be interested to know if anyone else is experiencing the same problem.

George.

Hi, I wonder if anyone else has experienced this, since updating my “iPhone 7plus” to 13.1 and now 13.1.1 I have been unable to get onto the App Store to update apps etc using my phones data, but I can by using Wi Fi. I always could before the update and have checked all the necessary on/off switches etc. Its not a limitation from my cell phones data provider so I’m wondering if Apple have stopped allowing me to do this. I can still update my iPad pro by using my phones data via the personal hotspot setting.

Be interested to know if anyone else is experiencing the same problem.

George.

Click on the App Store and then click on the account icon top right (head & shoulders in a circle on mine) - should then give you the option to update :)

Click on the App Store and then click on the account icon top right (head & shoulders in a circle on mine) - should then give you the option to update :)

Many thanks for that, I had already done that on my phone when I’m on Wi Fi, but what I can’t do is get onto the App Store when just using the phones data ie no Wi Fi. It just says “Cannot Connect to App Store”. Everything else is working just fine.

George.

Back