All things related to Apple phones & tablets

Well I set it to Never and I don't know if it reset itself when I did the IOS 12 update, but Photos has acquired several more images from WhatsApp (including some from before the upgrade and after setting it to Never). I've set it toNever again, and we'll see what happens.

Try WhatsApp-Settings-Chats-Save to camera roll. Make sure that's turned off

Try WhatsApp-Settings-Chats-Save to camera roll. Make sure that's turned off

Checked and it is definitely turned off. I didn't know about the settings in WhatsApp, I've been looking at WhatsApp in Settings! Confusing or what?

Now waiting for one of the kids to send me a pic to see whether it appears in Photos...

I updated to IOS 12 last week. All seems fine, but near the start there was a message about using up data, that I didn't quite understand as we were home and on our own Wifi, so I assumed this must be a precautionary message that didn't apply. The update took ages, and then when the phone eventually came back up I got a message from EE saying I'd used up all of my data allowance. It was only 500 MB, which IIRC was less than the estimated download of IOS 12, so it must have eaten my data allowance and then swapped to Wifi.

Is there anything I can do in future to stop this (apart from paying closer attention)?

Work trip to Glasgow this morning which takes me past the Apple Store on new iPad Pro Launch Day..... 12.9 inch 4G in the bag.... can’t wait for the full version of Photoshop!

I have the large iPad Pro (previous incarnation) and love it. It goes everywhere with us, fits in the camera bag, and allows me to upload to the web on the fly via LLR CC or a couple of other apps...

I have the large iPad Pro (previous incarnation) and love it. It goes everywhere with us, fits in the camera bag, and allows me to upload to the web on the fly via LLR CC or a couple of other apps...

I did too and actually sold it a couple of weeks ago after buying a MBP, intending to buy a smaller iPad (11”) - but the new 12.9” seems much smaller and lighter - makes sense as I use it so much to just go for the bigger one...... actually contemplating getting rid of the MacBook and buying a lower spec Mac Mini instead.

Anyone know how to delete defunct devices out of Apple home? I upgraded my thermostat and the old one is still on there. Hit edit in the devices window and the 'delete device' or an X doesn't seem to be visible anywhere.

I work for one of the mobile phone networks and was looking at some sales stats yesterday. 8 of the 10 top selling new contract phones are iPhone models. Staggering.

I work for one of the mobile phone networks and was looking at some sales stats yesterday. 8 of the 10 top selling new contract phones are iPhone models. Staggering.

No real surprise, Apple is pretty dominant in the UK.

0115806-A-4456-442-B-AA9-E-0832-FB925831.jpg

http://gs.statcounter.com/vendor-market-share/mobile/united-kingdom

Does anyone know of a keyboard app for the iPhone 5s for the slightly hard of seeing? I'm thinking of something like the big bold characters in Doro phones. My wife bought a second hand iPhone, but can't get on with the keyboard app, and has gone back to her Doro (which of course uses the multiple numeric key pressing business for texts, and has no smart phone features). For various reasons, I'd like to move her into the smart phone era, and I'd rather her iPhone wasn't languishing in a drawer!

Vaguely relevant (or not), having moved from a Samsung S3 Mini to an iPhone SE, I must say the Android keyboard app is greatly superior to the IOS one. In particular, the predictive text implementation is weaker on the iPhone (it seems much less capable of coping with a mis-typed letter) and the suggestions are in a faint grey text that is (ahem) hard to see.

Aha! Found larger and bolder text, thanks!

The new iPad and Apple in general are getting a massive slating at the moment due to Apple admitting that the new iPad Pro may be bent before you even unbox it, and that this isn’t a defect! The mind boggles...

Lots of examples on the Verge article

bent-i-Pad-macrumors.jpg

The new iPad and Apple in general are getting a massive slating at the moment due to Apple admitting that the new iPad Pro may be bent before you even unbox it, and that this isn’t a defect! The mind boggles...

Lots of examples on the Verge article

bent-i-Pad-macrumors.jpg

Bring back Steve Jobs!

My iPad has been suffering with random WiFi disconnects since the update, reconnecting back a few seconds later, probably a coincidence...
Same with mine, only a second or two, quite randomly

Mines been fine but it used to lose WiFi connectivity. It would just go like treacle and switching WiFi off and on again in settings brought it back.

Both iPhone and iPad would do it. Seemed to like to do it around midnight for some reason.

I’ve still had no problems. I’ve got an iPad on the beta channel so it was on that update for some time, now on 12.1.3 and an iPhone on the regular system still on 12.1.2.

I had installed the beta on my iPad Pro and then discovered that it wouldn’t show the Instant Hotspot feature, I restored back to iOS 12.1.1 and had the side effect of suddenly getting much improved battery life after what is was like on the beta (or prior use on 12.1).

Sometimes a full restore using iTunes can be quite beneficial.

I had installed the beta on my iPad Pro and then discovered that it wouldn’t show the Instant Hotspot feature, I restored back to iOS 12.1.1 and had the side effect of suddenly getting much improved battery life after what is was like on the beta (or prior use on 12.1).

Sometimes a full restore using iTunes can be quite beneficial.
The instant hotspot seems to work fine for me (though the phone is 12.1.2 and iPad is 12.1.3) . I see it’s a known problem and a solution is given here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8556888?answerId=33996749022#33996749022

This thread has been hugely helpful to me as a newbie iPhone user (SE), thank you all. I now have another question that might be a bit more intractable. Has anyone any hints on getting my iPhone and Mac Calendars to sync? Both are on iCloud with the same ID, and iCloud settings on both include the Calendar. I've tried all sorts of things, but no transfer of info in either direction!

This thread has been hugely helpful to me as a newbie iPhone user (SE), thank you all. I now have another question that might be a bit more intractable. Has anyone any hints on getting my iPhone and Mac Calendars to sync? Both are on iCloud with the same ID, and iCloud settings on both include the Calendar. I've tried all sorts of things, but no transfer of info in either direction!
Have you gone into the setting-accounts and tuned on calendars sync for your phone ?

Have you gone into the setting-accounts and tuned on calendars sync for your phone ?

If I go into Settings > my name > iCloud on the iPhone, then the Calendar app is turned on. I can't see a specific sync setting there.

If I go into Settings > Calendar on the iPhone then Sync is set as "Events 1 Month ago".

If I go into Settings > my name > iCloud on the iPhone, then the Calendar app is turned on. I can't see a specific sync setting there.

If I go into Settings > Calendar on the iPhone then Sync is set as "Events 1 Month ago".

It could be in password/accounts or calendar and set to all events ?

Sorry it’s hard to recall as I have maybe 8-10 different calendars runnings so I’m unsure which setting just to sync iCloud calendars

26E01299-3F60-40B7-97D6-071EC9D79C6B.png 9F8BF5F0-81C1-4696-B6D9-7A95F95C269F.jpeg 20D11894-D0FA-4913-8CD3-CF695C153BF1.png
It could be in password/accounts or calendar and set to all events ?

Sorry it’s hard to recall as I have maybe 8-10 different calendars runnings so I’m unsure which setting just to sync iCloud calendars

Are you looking here ?

Last edited:
Sometimes signing out of iCloud everywhere and signing back in cures non-synching.

Back