All things related to Apple phones & tablets

Preorder for iPhone XR starts tomorrow. I think it’s going to be popular.

It's pretty much guaranteed, it's the first time the non-premium iPhone (X / XS) has changed since the iPhone 6, and is considerably more affordable. No matter how popular the phone, the naming convention of the new handsets is shockingly bad!

It is a little concerning though that the X was greeted with much applaud, however now the XS is out the reviews are stating how much faster/fluid it is and how much better the camera is compared to the X's relatively poor low-light performance, bringing into question as to how good the X was in the first place?

It's pretty much guaranteed, it's the first time the non-premium iPhone (X / XS) has changed since the iPhone 6, and is considerably more affordable. No matter how popular the phone, the naming convention of the new handsets is shockingly bad!

It is a little concerning though that the X was greeted with much applaud, however now the XS is out the reviews are stating how much faster/fluid it is and how much better the camera is compared to the X's relatively poor low-light performance, bringing into question as to how good the X was in the first place?

Each one has got so much better (supposedly!) its amazing that they're not as good as as a mirrorless one yet according to the tone of vioce in some reviews!

I don't but many phones as mine is via my employer but I oooked at o2 for a possible upgrade for my wife. I did a 64gb XR, 3 year contract.

O2 want £845.50 for the phone whereas Apple's price is £749. Is this normal ? I assumed most providers did interest free ? They certainly did when I bought my last phone from them

That’s how it works, new number for show, S model for go. This is why so many still have the 6s.

FWIW I find the cameras on the XS fantastic, I much prefer the normal FL lens for normal use and then the wide lens is usefully wider than before such that you can actually get some decent perspective.

I don't but many phones as mine is via my employer but I oooked at o2 for a possible upgrade for my wife. I did a 64gb XR, 3 year contract.

O2 want £845.50 for the phone whereas Apple's price is £749. Is this normal ? I assumed most providers did interest free ? They certainly did when I bought my last phone from them

Difference could be memory size as outright prices should be similar.

3 years for a contract is a hell of a long time.

If you can afford the upfront cost now, you’d save a ton of money over 3 years by buying the phone outright and unlocked (from Apple or elsewhere) and getting a SIM only contract.

I am not with o2 but comparing contract phone vs outright purchase & SIM only, the break even point across several networks was 13-14 months. I did see some advertising suggesting o2 cut the price of contract once you have paid off the phone but don’t have any experience of this so can’t comment.

John

Last edited:
You are I'm assuming?

To be honest I don't know anybody getting an XR or XS anytime before their contract is due for renewal, I get the feeling that as nice as the devices are they don't offer enough differences to entice a lot of people to upgrade their contracts as much as the iPhones did a couple of years ago (iPhone 4 - 6 especially).

Out of curiousity, and not trolling..... If someone has an iPhone 7 or 8, and they aren't due for renewal, what could justify the upgrade? Other than the status of having the latest apple device?

iOS 12 breathes new life into all phones that can take it. It made my 5S useable again, since iOS 11 pretty much killed it.

The X / XS /XR have a significantly different philosophy to anything with TouchID and a home button. It’s down to personal choice.

That said, I have upgraded from 5S to XS and that’s a big jump.

John.

Preorder for iPhone XR starts tomorrow. I think it’s going to be popular.

I was going to buy an Xr next week, unfortunately I had an hour to kill the other day and decided to have a browse in Apple and somehow came out with a new Xs, so no Xr for me now...

The retail price through O2 for that model is indeed £845.50. You then pay that back using an interest free loan over any period from 3 to 36 months. Seems the O2 XR prices are about £100 more for each of the 3 variants than Apple’s prices.

Giffgaff do sim free apple phones. Their prices seem to be about the best. They also do refurb ones.

https://www.giffgaff.com/mobile-phones?filter_offer=all&filter_brands=apple

I am undecided whether the XR will have a good enough screen as I'm used to the one in the 6s plus. The battery life is as good. The XS doesn't have the battery life but does have the screen quality,

I think I'll probably get an 8 plus as the best compromise between the two. None are as good as the 6s plus for music streaming. That lasts 80 hours.

Giffgaff do sim free apple phones. Their prices seem to be about the best. They also do refurb ones.

https://www.giffgaff.com/mobile-phones?filter_offer=all&filter_brands=apple

I am undecided whether the XR will have a good enough screen as I'm used to the one in the 6s plus. The battery life is as good. The XS doesn't have the battery life but does have the screen quality,

I think I'll probably get an 8 plus as the best compromise between the two. None are as good as the 6s plus for music streaming. That lasts 80 hours.

If you want to buy a phone from GiffGaff and pay for it in instalments, then they charge interest. More often than not it works out more expensive than buying it from O2.

If you want to buy a phone from GiffGaff and pay for it in instalments, then they charge interest. More often than not it works out more expensive than buying it from O2.

I assumed paying for it in one go with giffgaff.

Apple also have their own phone upgrade/finance scheme over 2 years at 0% but you have to trek to an apple store to use it.

We both picked up an XS Max whilst on holiday 2 weeks ago, finally succumbed into upgrading my 6S Plus.

It is a very nice upgrade but to be fair I could have easily done another year with the 6S+ as it’s ‘good enough’. Face ID, bigger screen and better cameras are impressive and certainly worthy of an upgrade, after 2 weeks, I couldn’t go back!

Going forward it’s going to take something very special to see us needing / wanting to change again for 5 years or so.

We got ours SIM free from an Apple store on 20 months 0%, certainly helps with the sticker shock!

I have a 6s plus too. What's the battery life on the Xs Max compared to it?

I have a 6s plus too. What's the battery life on the Xs Max compared to it?

It’s better than one with a 3 year old battery, from memory, the same when it was new.

Can easily get 2 days from it, like I could when the 6s was new.

All this talk about new X model phones, I'm still getting used to my SE (such a great upgrade from a Samsung S3 mini!).

I'm a bit confused about one thing. If I look in IOS Photos, I find my shots are in there, plus assorted shots that have appeared from elsewhere, mainly through WhatsApp (as I don't use faceblurt or twatter on my phone). I can't see a way to see just my shots. Apart from anything else, I can see me claiming someone else's shots as my own after a few months, at my age!

I would really like to be able to separate them out so that I can just see the shots I have taken... Any ideas?

All this talk about new X model phones, I'm still getting used to my SE (such a great upgrade from a Samsung S3 mini!).

I'm a bit confused about one thing. If I look in IOS Photos, I find my shots are in there, plus assorted shots that have appeared from elsewhere, mainly through WhatsApp (as I don't use faceblurt or twatter on my phone). I can't see a way to see just my shots. Apart from anything else, I can see me claiming someone else's shots as my own after a few months, at my age!

I would really like to be able to separate them out so that I can just see the shots I have taken... Any ideas?

If you select albums along the bottom of the screen you should have one titled camera roll. That should just be your shots and the WhatsApp images should be in the WhatsApp folder.

If you select albums along the bottom of the screen you should have one titled camera roll. That should just be your shots and the WhatsApp images should be in the WhatsApp folder.

Had a look; there is an album for the WhatsApp images, but none entitled Camera Roll. I have All Photos (which includes the WhatsApp ones), Favourites, People, Places, Videos, Live Photos, Panoramas, Bursts, Recently Deleted, then a section headed My Albums that includes only the WhatsApp album.

Or what I do is go into Whats App and turn off the storing of photos.

I didn't know I could do this, but it sounded like a good idea, and I have set it to Never! Not sure what will happen when I take a photo inside WhatsApp to attach to a message, but I suspect I won't care that much, and when I find out I can simply take it with the Camera app and attach it.

Thanks both! Chris

I don't have camera roll either.

It must have been an option to keep it after an upgrade at some point and some have got rid and some have kept it.

No camera roll here on 12.0.1 and 12.1. iPhone 7 & iPad respectively.

Last edited:
No Camera Roll on my XS Max!

Or what I do is go into Whats App and turn off the storing of photos.

How do you do that Simon?

Looking at the settings/apps/What'sAp I get Photo's "Read & write" or "Never". I take it "Never" just means it doesn't store them???

It's just been pulled as it's bricking devices.... So much for improved quality of software!
I saw that. It was series 4 watches being affected.
Almost as bad as Google's faux pas on the Pixel 3XL.

I saw that. It was series 4 watches being affected.
Almost as bad as Google's faux pas on the Pixel 3XL.

Equally as bad I would say, neither company has any excuse for lack of testing carried out, too busy trying to meet their release targets. Did you see that Apple have also put throttling back into effect on the 8, 8 Plus and X phones?

Equally as bad I would say, neither company has any excuse for lack of testing carried out, too busy trying to meet their release targets. Did you see that Apple have also put throttling back into effect on the 8, 8 Plus and X phones?
I was not aware of that!

I was not aware of that!

I don't see it as being a problem personally as it's not exactly a secret and you can turn it off, kinda goes against Apple's previous statement that the newest phones (8, 8 Plus and X at the time) didn't need the feature..

How do you do that Simon?

Looking at the settings/apps/What'sAp I get Photo's "Read & write" or "Never". I take it "Never" just means it doesn't store them???
...I didn't know I could do this, but it sounded like a good idea, and I have set it to Never! ...

Well I set it to Never and I don't know if it reset itself when I did the IOS 12 update, but Photos has acquired several more images from WhatsApp (including some from before the upgrade and after setting it to Never). I've set it toNever again, and we'll see what happens.

Back