All things related to Apple phones & tablets

I have a real issue with my new iPhone Xr, as it keeps disconnecting the Bluetooth in my car. My previous iPhone 7 was fine, but this one just disconnects. I have a 2017 Mini Clubman, and I spent an hour with a BMW tech today and he's convinced it's the phone not the car, as we tried 4 or 5 different phones, and mine was the only one that kept dropping out....

So, any ideas folks?

Back up and restore. Eliminate software as the problem.

My XR works fine with the car, and other Bluetooth items.

Back up and restore. Eliminate software as the problem.

My XR works fine with the car, and other Bluetooth items.

I had a brainwave last night..... When I got the Xr I cloned it from the 7, and of course, the phone's name came across, so it now has two phones with the same name registered. So I've changed the name, will remove both of them and then start afresh this morning. Hopefully that will cure it.

I had a brainwave last night..... When I got the Xr I cloned it from the 7, and of course, the phone's name came across, so it now has two phones with the same name registered. So I've changed the name, will remove both of them and then start afresh this morning. Hopefully that will cure it.

Oooh, interesting, lets see what happens!

I have a real issue with my new iPhone Xr, as it keeps disconnecting the Bluetooth in my car. My previous iPhone 7 was fine, but this one just disconnects. I have a 2017 Mini Clubman, and I spent an hour with a BMW tech today and he's convinced it's the phone not the car, as we tried 4 or 5 different phones, and mine was the only one that kept dropping out....

So, any ideas folks?

Does the car not have Apple CarPlay?

A couple of question re live photos. Does Lightroom CC in the iPhone sync the live photo to Lightroom desktop? Or do i need to manually export from OSX Photos and import into Lightroom?
And can i export live photos from Lightroom and put them back into OSX Photos as a live photo?

Reason i ask - I use Lightroom as my master catalogue and have been using Lightroom CC as a method of importing. However, i also use OSX photos to share photos with family. So a workflow of a photo could be.
Take photo on iOS, this gets saved to camera roll
Lightroom CC imports this photo, synchs to cloud.
Lightroom desktop imports from cloud and saves file to desktop folder.
Photo is edited and flagged in lightroom as 'share with family album on Apple Photos'
Photo is exported from lightroom, imported to Apple Photos and added to a shared album.

How would a live photo survive this process?

I’m not sure about Lightroom, but neither Aperture nor Capture One deals with Live Photo’s in my experience.

Live Photo’s appear to be two files, an image and a movie file. They get separated by non-Photos applications, in my experience.

I’m not sure about Lightroom, but neither Aperture nor Capture One deals with Live Photo’s in my experience.

Live Photo’s appear to be two files, an image and a movie file. They get separated by non-Photos applications, in my experience.
Do you know if it is possible to reimport a live phot that has been separated back into Apple Photos?

Apologies for the apostrophes. I’ve just noticed them.

Thanks, autocorrupt. :(

Anyone seen the new announcements from WWDC?

New Mac Pro
XDR Pro Display (6k, 1600 nits peak brightness, P3 and 10-Bit)
iOS13
iPadOS
WatchOS6
MacOS Catalina

Seems to be a lot of incremental changes or really expensive releases. Pro Display looks neat but £1000 for a stand on top of the £5000 screen? Damn!

Interesting news nonetheless

Anyone seen the new announcements from WWDC?

New Mac Pro
XDR Pro Display (6k, 1600 nits peak brightness, P3 and 10-Bit)
iOS13
iPadOS
WatchOS6
MacOS Catalina

Seems to be a lot of incremental changes or really expensive releases. Pro Display looks neat but £1000 for a stand on top of the £5000 screen? Damn!

Interesting news nonetheless

I think anyone who thinks it's acceptable to charge £1000 for a stand let alone those that will buy it need a lobotomy!

Dell's 8k Ultrasharp Premierecolour is just under £2000 cheaper and comes with a stand!

I like the new multi-tasking capabilities, and the fact that they seem to be spinning off iPadOS from iOS, but what about the mouse? No mention of it. Maybe next time?

And then there's the bit about "You don't need to sync in iTunes any more, just use Finder". What about us Windows users?

I like the new multi-tasking capabilities, and the fact that they seem to be spinning off iPadOS from iOS, but what about the mouse? No mention of it. Maybe next time?

And then there's the bit about "You don't need to sync in iTunes any more, just use Finder". What about us Windows users?

There's some Apple Blogger claiming that Mouse Support is there in "accessibility" options but if it was I think they would be shouting about it.
The new gestures, etc added point toward a touch rather than mouse future, I can't see them doing it except for very limited cases like already exist with Citrix / Remote Desktop mouse support.

I think anyone who thinks it's acceptable to charge £1000 for a stand let alone those that will buy it need a lobotomy!
Though it’s not just a stand. I believe it’s not a compulsory purchase so you don’t have to buy it, I hope that brings some relief to you. Are there any other things you don’t want to buy?

From https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...nes-questions-old-libraries-windows-and-more/ :
Apple says users of iTunes under Microsoft Windows will not see any changes. It won't be broken up into several apps; it will work just like it does now. However, Apple did not provide any clarification about what support will be like for future features. The company simply says that Windows users will continue to have the same experience as before and that it is not announcing any plans to end support for iTunes in Windows.”

Dell's 8k Ultrasharp Premierecolour is just under £2000 cheaper and comes with a stand!
This is outside my area of expertise :) but according to https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...e-apples-new-mac-pro-and-the-pro-display-xdr/ :
But there's reason behind this apparent madness. First of all, the XDR is not a consumer display by any stretch. In reality, it competes on the low-end with high-end displays used by graphic designers and the like—these displays typically go for $2,000 to $6,000. But it also competes directly with professional reference displays that cost 30, 40, or even 50 thousand dollars.”

The apparently bonkers price of the stand (which is not just a stand ;)) is just one of those things like why does a camera accessory grip cost £100 for a camera costing £500 or £50 phone case for a phone costing £800 (I’m making these figures up but they’re sorta right)? A $100 stand for a $50,000 display doesn’t sound too bad :).

The apparently bonkers price of the stand (which is not just a stand ;)).

Curious to know why it's not 'just' a stand? From what I've read it's a stand that counterbalances the weight of the screen and allows for multi adjustment as in rotation, angle and height, to me that rings no different to what the Dell Ultrasharp stands already do.

It's genuine curiosity, if it does something more than that I'm happy to be enlightened, but from what I've ready on numerous articles so far, it's a stand.

So, another question for you Apple phone geniuses (I've looked it up and apparently that IS the accepted plural!)... but first, the preamble...

a) We came to meet some Australian friends this weekend. They have Ozzie SIM cards in their phones, so all the usual "better to text than call" chat beforehand. We were a bit later than expected getting to their hotel and they'd gone out, so I sent Helen a text... then another. No reply. After a bit, another text, no reply. My phone was saying the texts were "Delivered". Eventually we met up by actually phoning them; they had seen none of the texts. So Helen sent me a text from her iPhone, and it came through. I replied, and it didn't arrive. How confusing!

b) Later that evening, we got a Facetime call to say that when they arrived back at their hotel, the text messages all turned up, "airdropped" from their (wifi only) iPad. Even more bizarre, but it did give me a clue that maybe Apple's iMessage had got involved.

c) This morning my wife tried to send Helen a text from her Doro feature phone... and it wouldn't send. No idea why.

d) Helen later confirmed that she has data completely switched off on her iPhone, unless on wifi; probably sensible to avoid humungous data charges by accident.

So, to the question... any idea what's going on, and why my iPhone can't send a text to Helen's iPhone?

So, another question for you Apple phone geniuses (I've looked it up and apparently that IS the accepted plural!)... but first, the preamble...

a) We came to meet some Australian friends this weekend. They have Ozzie SIM cards in their phones, so all the usual "better to text than call" chat beforehand. We were a bit later than expected getting to their hotel and they'd gone out, so I sent Helen a text... then another. No reply. After a bit, another text, no reply. My phone was saying the texts were "Delivered". Eventually we met up by actually phoning them; they had seen none of the texts. So Helen sent me a text from her iPhone, and it came through. I replied, and it didn't arrive. How confusing!

b) Later that evening, we got a Facetime call to say that when they arrived back at their hotel, the text messages all turned up, "airdropped" from their (wifi only) iPad. Even more bizarre, but it did give me a clue that maybe Apple's iMessage had got involved.

c) This morning my wife tried to send Helen a text from her Doro feature phone... and it wouldn't send. No idea why.

d) Helen later confirmed that she has data completely switched off on her iPhone, unless on wifi; probably sensible to avoid humungous data charges by accident.

So, to the question... any idea what's going on, and why my iPhone can't send a text to Helen's iPhone?
I’ve had this problem between 2 UK iPhones in UK!. I can’t say I know the complete answer but it is to do with iMessage which I think iPhones will always prefer if available (it’s free so makes sense). You can turn off iMessage (search “Messages” in Settings) and then texts will go by SMS. I’m not sure if the same has to be done on the Aussie phones.
When my Aussie relatives come to UK I have just ordered giffgaff SIMS for them and they have also ket a UK phone here in the past).

So I've an old 1st gen iPad pro with a cracked screen. It still works fine and I've replaced screens on other tablets so I'm happy with that. But with regards to the touch ID if anyone has done this before, is it just a case of reusing the original home button and cabling that comes with it to ensure touch ID will still work?

So I've an old 1st gen iPad pro with a cracked screen. It still works fine and I've replaced screens on other tablets so I'm happy with that. But with regards to the touch ID if anyone has done this before, is it just a case of reusing the original home button and cabling that comes with it to ensure touch ID will still work?

According to iFixit - (excellent site, well worth checking out before repairing tech items)
Also, please confirm I'm quoting for the correct iPad model before taking this as gospel, but...
Note that the Home Button installed in your original display assembly is paired to the iPad's logic board, and will need to be removed and transferred to the new display to retain Touch ID functionality.
Additionally...
Before beginning, check to see if your replacement part has a daughterboard adhered to its back. If so, this guide will work for you. Otherwise, you will need to transfer the board from the old display to the new one. Transferring the daughterboard from the original to replacement unit will require specialty microsoldering equipment and we recommend DIY users source a new part rather than attempt the procedure.

Cheers for that. Didn't know about that site, it's pretty good.

Can anyone help! I have my phone and iPad set to download original photos. I have videos I created in iMovie and exported as a file (mp4 I believe). I copied these into Photos and while they work online, they don’t work offline. Small exclamation mark and says download error.

iMessage needs data, if data is turned off by your friend the iMessages will queue and wait for WiFi (they will also go to any other iOS device signed into the same user ID, hence on the iPad).

If your friend wants to deactivate data she must first turn iMessage off while having a data connection (WiFi will do).

Is your wife using the friend’s full mobile number including the country code? +61 iirc.

Last edited:
The way iPhones deal with iMessage vs text is poor in my opinion. These are supposed to be fast messaging services, so I don’t know why there is often a long delay before you are told that the message hasn’t gone, often way after the message was useful.

iMessage needs data, if data is turned off by your friend the iMessages will queue and wait for WiFi (they will also go to any other iOS device signed into the same user ID, hence on the iPad).

If your friend wants to deactivate data she must first turn iMessage off while having a data connection (WiFi will do).

Is your wife using the friend’s full mobile number including the country code? +61 iirc.
Thank you, this is a very helpful reply. I'll pass that on to her.

Pretty sure my wife was using the +61 code, but it's possible she made an error when entering the number.

iOS 13 and iPadOS 13 beta are now available OTA with the dev profile. I’m amazed at just how good it is on the iPad Pro.

its like a completely new tablet.

You need to send as SMS not iMessage (for the data reason stated above), you can select ‘send as SMS’ or similar in the settings, or you use to be able to press and hold the message, once sent via iMessage, to have the option to send as text, not sure if that works now though.

However, the simplest and cheapest thing to do nowadays is just buy a pre-paid SIM.

iOS 13 and iPadOS 13 beta are now available OTA with the dev profile. I’m amazed at just how good it is on the iPad Pro.

its like a completely new tablet.

This (for me anyway) is game changing, the new Beta works really well (Beta 1 I found a bit buggy and went back to iOS 12 for a few days) - the new Multitasking is great, External Drive support makes life so much easier, mouse support (which I thought would be crap) is actually very good - it works pretty similar to what I experienced with a Samsung Tab S5e a few months back, not quite the same as it is on a desktop but pretty good.

But the biggest thing has to be proper desktop browsing support, the amount of sites that now work is incredible, I think I can just about make my iPad Pro 12.9" my full-time work device now, just not sure whether I need to keep a mobile Windows Device for the odd work thing - I might be able to get away with just carrying an Android Tablet for the odd network / FTP type tricky thing I need to do.

Back