Alternatives to Lightroom?

I don't understand this urgency to abandon Lightroom.
If you have a paid "perpetual" version of Lightroom, it's not going to suddenly stop working just because Adobe have chosen to go CC.
I still believe that LR is the best solution for me at the moment, and I'm not going to give it up until either I get a new camera that's not supported, or the Windows operating system will not support the program.
Having paid for a "perpetual" version, I refuse the pay again in order to hire what I already have.

And I'd go along with that too. My interest in On1 came through trying 'Effects' and enjoying it enough to want to acquire the suite.

Regarding Photos in OSX - I tried an earlier iteration of that and couldn't imagine why anyone could find it useful, but maybe things have progressed since Yosemite.

And I'd go along with that too. My interest in On1 came through trying 'Effects' and enjoying it enough to want to acquire the suite.

Regarding Photos in OSX - I tried an earlier iteration of that and couldn't imagine why anyone could find it useful, but maybe things have progressed since Yosemite.
Toni .i find photos OSX useful in may ways,it has improved a great deal since the earlier versions.
I find it perfect for my catologing and creating albums slideshows with music etc.
I use the dxo plugin.with it to do the lens correction and for its NR etc.
I also use Afinity photo as an extension so im very happy .

I don't understand this urgency to abandon Lightroom.
If you have a paid "perpetual" version of Lightroom, it's not going to suddenly stop working just because Adobe have chosen to go CC.
I still believe that LR is the best solution for me at the moment, and I'm not going to give it up until either I get a new camera that's not supported, or the Windows operating system will not support the program.
Having paid for a "perpetual" version, I refuse the pay again in order to hire what I already have.

Ah,, Yes I should have said. I changed my camera and the files were not supported by the version of lightroom I had.
So I either had to convert everything to DNG, or upgrade to a newer subscription based version.

Also, i was paying a monthly fee for an online backup service, which I have now also been able to cancel as everything is in icloud.

I recently switched for Lightroom to ON1. Not an ‘urgency’ decision but owning a Fuji X-T2 I had been using Iridient to convert RAF files to DNG then process in Lightroom for best results. I would then need Photoshop for enhanced editing. The whole workflow was becoming a pain the proverbial.

Using ON1 i have a complete solution in one package. Only took a few days to get used to it and the results are amazing. Just as one example, after conversion i was stunned when ‘playing’ that i could push sharpness to 100% and could see no artifacts in the image. Not a real situation i would use but the clarity i get from the conversion can really make the images pop.

The only missing feature is perspective correction tool for wide angle architecture shots but I believe it is on their wish list.

I recently switched for Lightroom to ON1. Not an ‘urgency’ decision but owning a Fuji X-T2 I had been using Iridient to convert RAF files to DNG then process in Lightroom for best results. I would then need Photoshop for enhanced editing. The whole workflow was becoming a pain the proverbial.

Using ON1 i have a complete solution in one package. Only took a few days to get used to it and the results are amazing. Just as one example, after conversion i was stunned when ‘playing’ that i could push sharpness to 100% and could see no artifacts in the image. Not a real situation i would use but the clarity i get from the conversion can really make the images pop.

The only missing feature is perspective correction tool for wide angle architecture shots but I believe it is on their wish list.

Is there spot removal on On1 as gradient filter

Hello. Very much doubt you all missed me lol

There is spot removal in ON1. They were/are offering 30 day trial. As with anything new you have to spend a little time playing, getting fustrated, playing again .....leaving for a week, then going back and really seeing if you like it. But, I did, and i am sure others will.

While I can understand people’s desire to not subscribe, there is still the option to purchase Lightroom 6 as stand product. There will of course be no updates but the last release has (or will) added support for the recently released cameras -
  • Sony A7R III
  • Leica CL
  • Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III
  • Hasselblad A6D-100c
  • Panasonic LUMIX DC-G9

Some people say it’s “hidden” by Adobe, but I found it easily by searching “Lightroom 6” on Adobe.com/uk

Last edited:
But adobe have said they not going to update the camera raw for it.

Also there some missing feature on it I believe

But adobe have said they not going to update the camera raw for it.

Also there some missing feature on it I believe
nothing major and you can always convert to DNG.
sticking with AP and Photos now,Adobe won't be getting any more off me.

nothing major and you can always convert to DNG.
sticking with AP and Photos now,Adobe won't be getting any more off me.

So what you do is import into Photo and then if needed to do more than Photo doesnt do you export to AP but when save does it go back to Photo? You know the way LR works...
One thing that will drive me mad is getting all LR edited files over to Photo

So what you do is import into Photo and then if needed to do more than Photo doesnt do you export to AP but when save does it go back to Photo? You know the way LR works...
One thing that will drive me mad is getting all LR edited files over to Photo
Yes correct Andrew except you just use the built in extensions in photo to edit in so nice and smooth and save and all done.
I understand re moving files from lr but maybe all you have to do is make a folder and export all your catologues to it then drag and drop in photos

I don't know. I probably don't understand this thread.
I work professionally in video, timelapses, and occasionally photography.
If there is a software solution where I don't think there is any competition even thousand miles behind is Lightroom plus Photoshop at $10 per month.
It is simply such a no brainier! all the supposed alternative to it do not do more than 10% of what you get from Adobe. And at that price (10$ per month), nobody is ever going to get the resources to get even remotely close to it.
And yet in this thread I hear of dozen of unknown software I have never heard about who maybe solve you 15% of what you need in a professional workflow.
Maybe it is just me, I just don't get it. But if you are a professional, why look any further than LR plus PS for $10 per month?

If there is a software solution where I don't think there is any competition even thousand miles behind is Lightroom plus Photoshop at $10 per month.
Many people don't "need" Photoshop and are looking for something to replace Lightroom. £120 per year for the combination isn't bad, £120 for just Lightroom is perhaps pushing it.

Anyway the good thing is there is alternatives for people.

Many people don't "need" Photoshop and are looking for something to replace Lightroom. £120 per year for the combination isn't bad, £120 for just Lightroom is perhaps pushing it.

Anyway the good thing is there is alternatives for people.
OK, maybe I start to see a point here.
But certainly not for professional, just for casual users.
Also for professionals $10 per month is dirt cheap, probably less than what you spend on memory cards, not even talk about models, transfers, hotels and so on.
And any alternatives to Adobe offer on the market at the moment only covers 10-20% of what you need for a professional workflow

Also for professionals $10 per month is dirt cheap, probably less than what you spend on memory cards, not even talk about models, transfers, hotels and so on.
And any alternatives to Adobe offer on the market at the moment only covers 10-20% of what you need for a professional workflow
I think the majority of people here are amateurs.
As an amateur, I don't take hundreds of photos every week, maybe a hundred or so every couple of weeks.Othersmay work differently.
When I've been out shooting I'll then have an intensive day or two developing and processing my images, so I'll be using Lightroom maybe 5 or 6 times a month.
The majority of the time I won;t be using Lightroom, yet under CC I'll still be paying for something I'm not using.
I use Photoshop even less.
I have "perpetual" versions of LR and PS available to me when I need them, so I refuse to pay a hire charge for something I already own and only use occasionally.

Your comment that the opposition is "thousand miles behind" Adobe shows a serious lack of knowledge of available software.

BTW, the cost of Adobe CC in the UK is 10 pounds a month, which is significantly more than the 10 dollars you think is such a bargain.

I don't know. I probably don't understand this thread.
I work professionally in video, timelapses, and occasionally photography.
It is simply such a no brainier! all the supposed alternative to it do not do more than 10% of what you get from Adobe. And at that price (10$ per month), nobody is ever going to get the resources to get even remotely close to it.
And yet in this thread I hear of dozen of unknown software I have never heard about who maybe solve you 15% of what you need in a professional workflow.
Maybe it is just me, I just don't get it. But if you are a professional, why look any further than LR plus PS for $10 per month?
You can produce results from other software that is just as good as results from Adobe programs.

The term "no brainer" implies not thinking about it. Yet if you want the best software, you need to know what is available. It would be unprofessional not to. Otherwise you might start thinking other software can only do only 10%. You even admitted you hadn't heard of a lot of the other software. Keeping an open mind is is the opposite to that. Which is what this thread is about.

Also LR and PS are not always the best for everyones needs. We're not all the same. And they are totally useless to me.

And if you use Adobe stuff, it's actually better for 'you' the more people use other programs. It keeps Adobe on their toes. Suggesting people should use it is not helping you.

Last edited:

I can't make up my mind whether in your terms I'm a casual or a professional photographer. I used to sell my work and services, but never made my main living from it. Is that being a semi-professional? I've now retired from paid work, but oddly that hasn't made me into a more casual photographer. Now that I have no deadlines to meet I have become much less casual in the sense that I now take a lot more time and care over my photographs. There seems to me to be many more dimensions to photography than "professional" and "casual".

It seems to take me a year or two to learn how to get the best from a new image editor. Not having used Lightroom or Photoshop for more than a few weeks of free trial I can only say that you may be right that they have 80%-90% more facilities and features than anything else. That however does not exclude the possibility that some of these other editors include among their relatively meagre feature set a facility or two, and perhaps in one or two cases of matched features a level of superior performance, which Adobe's products do not possess. For some users those extras may be crucial, sufficient reason for them to avoid Adobe's products. Other posters have already given good examples, so I need not elaborate.

OK, I can see different points of view for different uses.
I was probably too bold in the phrasing of my post and was only looking under my own point of view

To keep the conversation going :D . As a casual/enthusiast photographer using Fuji X series the price of the Adobe subscription didn't bother me. Again, it was just having to convert from RAF using an alternative to Lightroom (don't care what they say, it doesn't do the best on this) then importing into Lightroom but also having to use Photoshop for detailed work. tt was laborious. In this case my choice for ON1 was a no-brainer.

I sometime Wishes I stuck with Apple Aperture and the Nik Software as really it did everything I wanted it to..

Now i have a massive collection in LR and I dont think we can move all those adjustment over to Aperture??

Also are apple still updating the Raw for Aperture?

I have been using LR5 for quite some time now and looking for a physical version or upgrade to LR6? That will keep me going for 5 more years as I have zero intention of getting a subscription until they bring out a LR only sub. Anyone have a non ebay place I can still but it?

I have been using LR5 for quite some time now and looking for a physical version or upgrade to LR6? That will keep me going for 5 more years as I have zero intention of getting a subscription until they bring out a LR only sub. Anyone have a non ebay place I can still but it?

You can upgrade to 6 direct with adobe but it hidden in site I try find it after work

Also are apple still updating the Raw for Aperture?
I don't think they are. I borrowed an OMD 1 MK II and Aperture wouldn't read its RAW files. It does read Pen F files, which is good for me!

I don't think they are. I borrowed an OMD 1 MK II and Aperture wouldn't read its RAW files. It does read Pen F files, which is good for me!

Strange as someone said Apple photo gets updates so it updates the raw not idea if true

You can upgrade to 6 direct with adobe but it hidden in site I try find it after work
I find if you use the search function on Adobe.com/uk; you just need to type "Lightroom 6". Ignore any "autocomplete" option the site offers you, and the first link offered is https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/creative-cloud/help/download-install-single-app-Lightroom-6.html ... as the instructions say, if you goto the product catalogue Photoshop Lightroom 6 (the stand alone version) is listed there. Alternatively if you get the the Adobe product catalogue another way, in Creativity & Design --> Photography category Lightroom 6 is on the second page.

Strange as someone said Apple photo gets updates so it updates the raw not idea if true
I think it might have been me who suggested Aperture still got updates for new cameras via the Apple RAW processor ... this appears to be incorrect for the newest RAW types though there is some camera's RAW files supported which came out after Aperture was officially killed off.

I guess you know this but just in case.you can convert the files to dng first and then import to Aperture.

I guess you know this but just in case.you can convert the files to dng first and then import to Aperture.
Yes thanks, and that is what I did. But as Aperture is still the main prop of my workflow I wouldn’t use this method as a regular solution. Aperture has enabled me to get back from a shoot and very quickly choose the best images for the client. I’m dreading it stopping working, but I suppose the lack of RAW updates is the start of that.

I sometime Wishes I stuck with Apple Aperture and the Nik Software as really it did everything I wanted it to..

Now i have a massive collection in LR and I dont think we can move all those adjustment over to Aperture??

It still does ;) - no issue with D810 RAW files either

CO 1 next though

Last edited:
Back